Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
‘12 CTS Luxury Sedan, ‘14 CTS Base Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the #4671 (19” polished aluminum) CTS factory wheels have a clear coat on them?
I have a small curb rash on one and want to polish it out myself but I can’t if it’s coated.
Thanks.
Ron

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
11,982 Posts
Yes, they are clear coated.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,621 Posts
I've not seen a polished alloy wheel from GM that wasn't clear coated...yours should have a clear coat over the polished wheel...

Bill

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,280 Posts
Also, the wheels are painted, then clear coated. Even with no clear coat, I don't think curb rash would be able to be polished out. Best to get it refinished by a good shop.

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
It can be a DIY job with basic items, time, and patience.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The clear coat he's using is lacquer based which is not a good thing to use on wheels, and it will not stand up well to the environment. Also, any cleaner that has alcohol or solvent in it...say good bye to clear coat as it will be dissolved.

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
As did I.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
You're absolutely correct.
The OP should never do anything to his car himself.

Good day.
Am I?

Only if he doesn't want to, or may not have the time to, or may not be good at it.

This has taken an unusual turn (headed towards who knows what), don't know why it did. I don't think I said anything that could be deemed offensive. I offered some suggestions in good faith, and expanded a little on it with some stuff I know, have learned, did, or experienced.

·
Registered
‘12 CTS Luxury Sedan, ‘14 CTS Base Coupe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all who submitted information and opinions. 🙂. I was pretty sure it was clear coated but wanted to confirm. Already have an estimate from a local shop but it’s so small it would be an easy fix except for the clear.
Ron

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
your responses seem too provocative for you to not know why this thread has taken an unusual turn...but then the errornet is sometimes hard to gauge meaning when all you have to go by is the written word... l:unsure:

Bill

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
your responses seem too provocative for you to not know why this thread has taken an unusual turn...but then the errornet is sometimes hard to gauge meaning when all you have to go by is the written word... l:unsure:

Bill
I agree on the erronet (I like that term), but I do not think anything I said was provocative (by the definition of). I gave a bit of information, and what I would do in this case. If that is deemed provocative, then imo it does not take much to provoke some people.
To recap and to clarify, the OP asked about if it was clear coated and if it was he would not be able or want to do the repair. I responded (as others) that it was clear coated but also added that it was painted under that clear coat, and that I thought for those reasons the rash would not be able to be 'polished' out (as opposed to sanded out), and it would probably be better to take it to a shop to have it done. A diy video was then posted. I disagreed with what was being used in the video and said why, and that for me, it would be best to have it finished by a shop that knows what products to best use.
I provided information and my opinion to assist the OP in making a decision as to what he wanted to do. I do not see that as being provocative.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Thanks to all who submitted information and opinions. 🙂. I was pretty sure it was clear coated but wanted to confirm. Already have an estimate from a local shop but it’s so small it would be an easy fix except for the clear.
Ron
Yes. It would be nice to be able to have fixed it without much cost, but ime I think it was the right decision you made. I had mine done by a good shop, and was super pleased with the result and they stood up well.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
if you didn't mean to be provocative then perhaps your weren't but I think if you look back at your responses specifically to Long, you should be able to see where your short responses to him specifically might result in an equally short response from him...continuing to do that appears provocative to me...it doesn't to you and that's the crux of the confusion...

could you share what is painted on a polished 19" wheel???...I've only seen them in photos and they appear to be fully polished with a clear coat applied over the top unless that is what you meant by "paint."

Thanks,

Bill

1 - 20 of 26 Posts