Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
XTS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CUE touchscreen went unresponsive. I'm 4 months out of warranty and the dealer said it would be around $1700 to fix. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
Black Tesla Model 3, long range, AWD
689 Posts
Yes, there have been reports throughout the various vehicle forums of the high cost of the CUE system for those out of warranty needing repairs. You could always ask your dealer to see if any "cost assistance," as they call it, can be offered to help you with the cost, since you're only 4 months out of warranty.

That being said, if you've had any previous issues with CUE that were addressed/repaired (and therefore documented) by your dealer, you could argue that your CUE system was problematic while still in warranty and that may help further your case with the cost assistance request. Or possibly having it covered altogether if it was a relevant concern that couldn't be fixed while in warranty or something.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
That's why I got the extended warranty....for situations such as this; so many electronics in cars nowadays. :bigroll:

·
Registered
Black Tesla Model 3, long range, AWD
689 Posts
That's why I got the extended warranty....for situations such as this; so many electronics in cars nowadays. :bigroll:
I thought about getting the extended warranty for my ATS but it was $2000 and nothing is ever as good as the original B2B warranty. I set $2000 aside instead and will have it should my CUE explode or something. Fingers crossed I don't have a catastrophic electronic failures till I get my Tesla!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I thought about getting the extended warranty for my ATS but it was $2000 and nothing is ever as good as the original B2B warranty. I set $2000 aside instead and will have it should my CUE explode or something. Fingers crossed I don't have a catastrophic electronic failures till I get my Tesla!
The warranties are always negotiable and I got mine for a lot less than $2000....plus it specifically gives me bumper to bumper coverage with no deductible if work is done at my local dealership. Oh...it also gives me additional 24 hr. roadside assistance and free loaner for repairs. 3 additional years for piece of mind. I buy and don't lease. :eyebrow:

·
2014 SRX Performance FWD
2014 SRX Performance FWD
179 Posts
The warranties are always negotiable and I got mine for a lot less than $2000....plus it specifically gives me bumper to bumper coverage with no deductible if work is done at my local dealership. Oh...it also gives me additional 24 hr. roadside assistance and free loaner for repairs. 3 additional years for piece of mind. I buy and don't lease. :eyebrow:
Can you tell us what warranty and where you bought it? My 2014 factory warranty has only about 1 yr remaining... Thx.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,765 Posts
Your dealer is not going to repair it, just swap it for a reman unit.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Can you tell us what warranty and where you bought it? My 2014 factory warranty has only about 1 yr remaining... Thx.
I bought the extended warranty through my dealership (Dave Towell Cadillac) when I purchased my car. I don't know about getting warranties after you've had your car for a awhile, such as in your case. I would check with your dealer to see what GMAC options you might have, warranty wise.

·
Registered
2013 SRX
4 Posts
Hi,
I just got accomplished something I never thought possible ~ I got my 2013 cue system which was WAY over warranty replaced by Cadillac for less than $150!
The first thing you need to do is call Cadillac or GM infotainment ~ explain to them what’s going on and that you realize you are out of warranty but have been researching the cue system and realized it’s a faulty part...which it is! Cadillac knows this part is not good, they delaminate, coach and eventually become unresponsive. It’s been documented by them and also whatever company made the components (sorry I forget now if it was Sony, pioneer or what company)
These screens are defecevtive and unless you call gm infotainment directly you will get the runaround by any dealer. They are not responsible for this issue and they won’t guide you in the right direction to who can help you either (to be fair my local dealership didn’t seem familiar with the infotainment department and so how could they tell anyone to call them?).
I found this info here on the Cadillac forum and it really helped.
They know about this problem and are waiting to hear from customers so they can help!

[email protected]
GM Infotainment Email Team
General Motors/Alorica Inc.
855-478-7767
Sincerely,
Rhonda H
2013 SRX awd

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD LUX terra mocha/shale brownstone
163 Posts
Congrats on your success. It will be interesting to hear what others experience.

It looks like Alorica is a third party customer relationship management company and it's curious to me that GM/Cadillac doesn't/can't/won't handle customer problems on their own. When all is said and done, GM provides the parts and labor to fix the problems anyway. And we wonder why Caddies and service cost what they do!

https://www.alorica.com/

·
Registered
2015 SRX Lux. Cocoa Bronze 3.6 V-6
126 Posts
Yes, there have been reports throughout the various vehicle forums of the high cost of the CUE system for those out of warranty needing repairs. You could always ask your dealer to see if any "cost assistance," as they call it, can be offered to help you with the cost, since you're only 4 months out of warranty.

That being said, if you've had any previous issues with CUE that were addressed/repaired (and therefore documented) by your dealer, you could argue that your CUE system was problematic while still in warranty and that may help further your case with the cost assistance request. Or possibly having it covered altogether if it was a relevant concern that couldn't be fixed while in warranty or something.

Good luck!
This is MY 3rd Replacement Screen Under Warranty on my 2015 SRX. Yes, it documented, Thanks for your Post.

·
Registered
'18 C T6, ex SRX, ex Escalade
7 Posts
I used the contact info you provided and just got call from my dealer about replacing my second CUE in my 2016 SRX with under 7k miles. Apparently the 1st person I spoke to 2 weeks at my wonderful dealer did not follow through :( BUT my dealer will be replacing it this week!! woohoo.

·
Cadillac Owners Guru
73 Posts
For anyone that needs them out of warranty, we do offer them for $849.99 and they are completely ready to install and use. Brand New, not refurbished and come with the GM Warranty.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,612 Posts
"For anyone that needs them out of warranty, we do offer them for $849.99 and they are completely ready to install and use. Brand New, not refurbished and come with the GM Warranty."

I'm assuming this is a complete head unit; the majority of CUE failures are caused by the touch screen, which covers the display screen. If so, why replace (and pay more) the entire unit?

My lower/middle touch screen is unresponsive, which is fairly common. (My CPO warranty just expired.) Touch screens are available from aliexpress for $30. Shipping is about the same. For less than $70, I'll take a shot at it; this beats the >$1500 my dealer quoted me; they'll just install a re-manufactured unit, while this part is new and supposedly OEM, but even if it's a working clone, I'm fine with it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180729040005&SearchText=Cadillac+CUE+Touch+Screen

Replacement isn't difficult; a few trim pieces to remove, some fasteners, and an edge connector. If it all works out, I'll write up a replacement procedure for anyone who is in the same boat.

With so many models featuring the older style of CUE display about to be discontinued, Cadillac is even less likely to deal with the problem if it isn't covered by an existing warranty.

CCC

·
Cadillac Owners Guru
73 Posts
Hello again everyone.

CCClarke,

Nothing is being discontinued! Yes, they use a different version of these on brand new vehicles, however that does not mean the old ones get discontinued automatically. Replacements are readily available.
Also, I've personally taken apart a broken CUE out of curiosity and re-assembled. They are not rated very easy on the DIY scale in my opinion. IF you cannot take apart a laptop completely, and re-assemble (having it work when your done! hah) then I would not recommend that route. Your just wasting $100 for a screen that is just as bad as the one your taking out if not worse. The current replacement cues by GM ARE UPDATED... SEE BELOW!

True Fact: Current replacement Cues (2013-2018 vehicles) have UPDATED screens. We have been helping our customers out with CUES for a few years now and we have not had ANY repeat failures.

For $849.99 and FREE 1-2 Day shipping you get a CUE that is under Warranty and Plug & Play ready.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I never mentioned anything about CUE being discontinued.

Since your $850 service doesn't appear to include on-site removal/re-installation of the head units, owners either have to pay someone else, (or perform the work themselves) to remove the trim surrounding the dash and remove/reinstall the CUE head unit. At that point, the majority of labor required to remove/replace the touch screen has already been completed. Altogether, this looks like a three-beer job.

Touch screen removal isn't rocket science; (one ribbon cable connector and a few screws) if replacing the faulty component (rather than the whole assembly) restores full operation for less than $100, vice $850, (or > $1500) I'm happy.

While dash trim removal and some fastener locations vary with each model, once the head unit is removed, touch screen replacement is identical.

This video shows how easy it is to replace the touch screen yourself: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=JjhiW4WOI6eU0gLPmL-YCg&q=how+to+remove+cadillac+cue&oq=How+to+remove+CAdillac+CUE&gs_l=psy-ab.3.0.0i22i30k1l2.1196.6802.0.9442.26.26.0.0.0.0.236.3301.0j14j5.19.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..7.19.3300...0j0i131k1.0.O0r1XMn09SI#kpvalbx=1

Since one of my job duties involves writing and illustrating technical documents, if this works out, I'll offer an alternative path for anyone with a set of inexpensive trim removal tools and simple hand tools to judge if they can perform the replacement themselves. I am aware there are multiple P/Ns for later touch screen revisions and will include those as I find them.

Being able to help fellow owners learn about their cars or save money with DIY repairs is one of the things that makes this site so enjoyable for me when I have a chance to contribute.

Your company is in the business of making money. I'm in the business of saving it.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
My ($30) replacement touch screen arrived Friday and I spent a rainy Saturday afternoon installing it.

Total time to remove the trim panels on the right side of the dash and loosen the center console trim, remove the CUE Control Assembly, open it up, remove and replace the touch screen, then put everything back together was five hours. I took my time removing the trim and head unit parts, taking lots of pictures and documenting the process. With an adequate procedure, I think it could be accomplished in considerably less time. The tools required were minimal: an inexpensive trim removal tool kit, a 7mm nut driver, a #2 Phillips screwdriver, plus a pair of tweezers and a good LED drop light. And four beers. It was hot and muggy, so they were most welcome.

Touch screen replacement takes all of 30 minutes --if you take your time. If I had to do it over, it would take half that. It's a very simple job. The youtube video link I posted above explains the majority of the steps involved. Afterwards, I spent the evening writing a 35-page procedure, the bulk of which are repair manual illustrations and photos I took for the trim removal that are specific to the XTS, with a dozen CUE shots to clarify where fasteners were located and the (3) types involved.

For other Cadillac models, you can pay $10 for a full day to download GM factory procedures that explain how to remove the CUE Control Assembly from your vehicle @ repairprocedures.com. These are highly recommended as they contain plenty of illustrations unique to your car.

If you can read a procedure, have the simple tools required, and know which way to turn a screwdriver without maiming yourself, there isn't much of a reason to pay the high prices for a replacement CUE Control Assembly when all it takes is a few hours of your time and a $30 part to replace a defective touch screen. And don't forget the beer, so you can celebrate your savings and pride in doing something yourself.

YMMV,

CC

·
2014 SRX Performance FWD
2014 SRX Performance FWD
179 Posts
Looking forward to your writeup! I've owned Saabs since 2002 and the support of their fanatical owners in documenting how to repair just about anything has been tremendous. I'm very happy to see some Cadillac owners who not only try to do it themselve, but also help the community by taking pics and spending their time documenting procedures. Many thanks.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts