Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 750li, MB S550, Bentley spur and Escalade platinum
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deer. i just installed the 160F thermostat lastweek. in the hightway the car run fine and the temp bellow the 12 oclock.
today i run the car around Hanoi. averal speed is 10km.h. i ran it very slow and i saw the temp go up when it idle in red light about 5 min. but when i start and run the temp go back to 12 oclock again. the outside temp is 38c and very hot. So what is the problem with my car. please help me. i use Mr gasket thermostat. it has diffirent style compare with the original. so should i swich back to the original ?

and one more quession. my DASH have problem how can i fix it..please.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,751 Posts
That is the wrong thermostat, not only for temperature but also construction.

The indicated area on your temperature gauge is perfectly normal.

Here is what your thermostat looks like. Any other type will NOT operate correctly.

The 12:00 tick mark on your temperature gauge covers a range from 188 to 210 degrees F. That is the desired and normal running temperature for your Northstar engine.

·
Administrator
70,751 Posts
Nguyen, Here is your temperature gauge with running temperatures measured from a scan tool.................

Remember your cooling fans do not go to SLOW until the coolant reaches 224 degrees F - normal. With an A/C function set, fans run in SLOW all the time, and it is perfectly normal to see your temperature gauge needle at that position in heavy traffic, slow speeds, hot day.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so why it never happen before
here is the correct style of the 160F thermostat i bought

so if i use it i lost the bypass funcion ?
thank you in advance.

and one more quession.
can i go to GM dealer and tell them use TECH2 to adjust the FAN setting run sooner and alway set at hight speed ?
thank you in advance.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Your cooling system (except the wrong thermostat) is working perfectly fine and there is no need to alter any settings to make it cooler. By reengineering the fan circuit to make it to run constantly or only in high speed will achieve nothing but increase total power draw (and decreased fan life). Go back to the stock thermostat and forget about it if the temp stays below 5/8 mark.

Looks like the car was off when the picture was taken. Right after you turn off your car, cooling fans stop working unless the engine is too hot (around over 240 degrees), and the water pump stops working no matter what. It may creep up a little bit since there's no coolant/air flow, but once you start the car and start moving again, now you have coolant flow and working fans as needed; the temp will go down. Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your cooling system (except the wrong thermostat) is working perfectly fine and there is no need to alter any settings to make it cooler. By reengineering the fan circuit to make it to run constantly or only in high speed will achieve nothing but increase total power draw (and decreased fan life). Go back to the stock thermostat and forget about it if the temp stays below 5/8 mark.

Looks like the car was off when the picture was taken. Right after you turn off your car, cooling fans stop working unless the engine is too hot (around over 240 degrees), and the water pump stops working no matter what. It may creep up a little bit since there's no coolant/air flow, but once you start the car and start moving again, now you have coolant flow and working fans as needed; the temp will go down. Perfectly normal.
so you think. i change the thermostat back and the engine alway run in the mildle again. when i ran it. it move up a little bit. this photos i took when i turn off the engine about 5 min.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Again, the needle at 12:15 mark is totally normal: the engine coolant temp is at around 215-220 degrees. Engine is designed to run at 195-215 (highway speed) and anything under 225 is normal. Like I said your fans and water pump stop running when you turn the car off. Coolant stops flowing and gets a little bit hotter than when it was flowing. That is why you are seeing the needle at 12:15 after 5 minutes.

Even when your engine is running, you are in a hot area and most likely your A/C will work in full mode; condenser dissipates a lot of heat and the cooling system has to handle the added heat. When A/C is on, the cooling fans run constantly. It will normally keep your temp at 12:00 dead center, but you may notice that it might creep up a little bit when you are in a city or heavy traffic, under the hot sun, even when your A/C is on.

Just consider that anything under 225 (5/8) is normal if the needle goes back to the center shortly after it.

Even the new Northstar cars are designed in the same way and they do all the same thing. They go up to 224 and run the fans slow and the temp goes back down to 213 or so.

If you are still worried, blow the condenser/radiator with compressed air throughly and wash it off with slow flowing water. Over time, dead bugs/small rocks/dust get stuck in it and they will restrict airflow.

Bottom line: Your car is working normally. Nothing wrong with them (except the thermostat)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have a quession. Because my country is very very hot.
so can i upgrace the cooling system. example Radiator or Bigger FAN. and where to sell it..
i can buy the part in the USA. I have uncle who is living in there.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
This is from my experience, but healthy northstar cars with stock cooling systems are OK with outside temperature going up to 120F (~50C) in Death Valley. I run my cars everyday in Texas summer which gets up to 110F (~43C) easily and they are perfectly fine. Unless your car overheats, don't worry about the temperature fluctuation. Perfectly normal. I have the fluctuation. Every late generation Sevilles do. New 2011 DTS does. Basically every cars with non-dumb temperature gauges will do the same thing.

Also, if your temp gauge ever goes up to the red zone, you need to fix the root cause of hot temperature, not reengineer the cooling system.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,686 Posts
i have a quession. Because my country is very very hot.
so can i upgrace the cooling system. example Radiator or Bigger FAN. and where to sell it..
i can buy the part in the USA. I have uncle who is living in there.
The cooling system on your N* is more than adequate to keep your engine cool anywhere on planet earth. I would put the original thermostat back in so it can operate as the engineers at GM designed it to.

·
Administrator
70,751 Posts
Go back and read Posts #2 and #3 again.

The wrong thermostat will not allow the cooling system to operate properly. The thermostat you installed is the wrong thermostat.

No, you cannot install a larger fan - the two factory installed fans are more than adequate to cool the engine in Saudi Arabia, so they will also cool the engine in VietNam. There is no reason to change fan control settings. Using the proper thermostat, having fans come on below the present settings accomplishes exactly nothing.........and remember: you said that it is now HOT in VietNam so I assume that you are using the air conditioning system in the car. When the air conditioning is ON, both fans run in SLOW all the time, so under that condition there is no need to change fan settings.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i see... in my Country i alway use the AC even in the winter.
the winter lowest is 8C but most of time is 18C. Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts