Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my V in for service today at the local Cadillac dealer. My car has 16,xxx miles on it. I bought it with 15,500. They called me about an hour after I dropped it off and suggested the 15k mile service. They said it included oil change, fuel system cleaning? , and tire rotation. I said I just had an oil change at 15k. What is this fuel system cleaning? Maybe that wasnt the correct term, but it was something with the fuel system. thanks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think that they might be talkin about a fuel injector flush. You unplug your fuel pump and let the car run off the injector cleaner. It's supposed to keep any carbon from building up and maintain proper injector spray.

·
Registered
895 Posts
There isn't an official 15k service on the V. It all depends on the oil life monitor. I know a lot of people here, including myself, change their oil way before the oil life hits zero. Their really isn't anything special required to maintain the V. Rotating tires is a good thing, change the oil and inspect the car. Don't let them change your cabin filter. They usually charge $69 to replace a $15 filter that is easy to get to (it's in the owner's manual and the cadillacfaq.com page).

The dealers like to set you up for a service timeline which is usually well beyond what is required and almost pure profit for them.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Some places recommend a 15K at 15K, some check your history to see if you had one anytime you bring it in close to 15K and try to sell it to you based on mileage.
I look at the car, see what it needs, and compare that to a menu service and recommend that because most menu services give you all the stuff you need at a little cheaper price.
I hope you understand what I mean by that.

I think they are trying to sell it to you on mileage.
Most of them involve inspections, oil change and tire rotation.
The fuel system treatment is likely unnecessary, probably based on a kickback they get from the company that supplies the solvents they use for the process. While I agree some of those services are beneficial, Anything that adds a chemical to the fuel system makes me nervous.
Gasoline out of the pump has so much detergent and additives in it, the carbon buildup of days gone by is almost eliminated.
Not to say that the induction system is free of carbon buildup, but even cars with 150K on them that I service have nice clean injector tips and little buildup on the valves and intake passages.
The worst place is right behind the throttle blade for carbon buildup. Some good cleaner like GMs Top Engine Clean on a rag will take care of that in a jiffy. We offer a BG service that feeds cleaner into the intake and removes it a bit better.

Bottom line, use your owner's manual recommended services, look at a dealers service menu and pick their services that match what you need for your car. Most menus are generic, and for newer cars, quite unrealistic.
I wouldn't stop trusting them, and I wouldn't be mad at them for suggesting additional services... afterall we all do get paid on some sort of commission basis. Just decline what you don't want and thank them for what you get.

I hope this makes some sense.

·
Registered
158 Posts
brtnharv said:
I would but there are only 2 in Charlotte, NC..and both ran by Arnold Palmer cadillac..
Yep!!
I could go on days about those guys... It is worth your drive to anywhere else... What part of Charlotte are you in?
They tried to hit me with the 15,000 mile thing and I said now way there is no need. Then they tried with getting me to get new tires because mine were wearing wrong on the outside. Well that is because they are Michelin PS2's and they have very little tread on the outside as it is. Anyway I digress!!!
Good Luck with them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CTSVader said:
Yep!!
I could go on days about those guys... It is worth your drive to anywhere else... What part of Charlotte are you in?
They tried to hit me with the 15,000 mile thing and I said now way there is no need. Then they tried with getting me to get new tires because mine were wearing wrong on the outside. Well that is because they are Michelin PS2's and they have very little tread on the outside as it is. Anyway I digress!!!
Good Luck with them.
I live in south charlotte off park road, did I see you near South park mall turning onto Barclay downs this past sunday? It was a black V..I honked.

Thanks for the heads up about Arnie...I've read over the FAQ and i thought it sounded strange for a 15,000 miles service.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I live in South Charlotte off of Rea Rd. and Tom Short. It was not me I was not out in the V on Sunday. I have not driven it in a few weeks now. You know I had gone to Burns Cadillac in Rock Hill SC and they actually changed my diff when Arnie would not(whole nother story) because it was a modified vehicle then I found out that they distroyed my shifter and I had to spend more money and replace it through Mallett. Then like Arnold Palmer they declined to service my car due to the Mallett conversion because Arnold Palmer called them and told them they were not supposed to service it. So therefore I must find another dealer... probably Griffin motors in Monroe.
Good Luck and maybe I will see you around.

·
Registered
327 Posts
They were probably trying to sell you the BG fuel system service. It's a good product and I have used it personally and seen gains in fuel economy and throttle response. However, doing at 15,000 miles is a waste. I did the first one on my car at 30,000.

Someone stated that this service is "pure profit" for the dealer. That would mean that they get the product for free and the technician works for free. There is a cost but dealers do have a higher profit margin on maintenance items than warranty work. Dealers make the most profit on customer-pay labor, then maintenance because menu prices are usually discounted to stay competitive with aftermarket shops. Finally, they make the least profit on warranty work.

·
Registered
269 Posts
ewill3rd said:
Some places recommend a 15K at 15K, some check your history to see if you had one anytime you bring it in close to 15K and try to sell it to you based on mileage.
I look at the car, see what it needs, and compare that to a menu service and recommend that because most menu services give you all the stuff you need at a little cheaper price.
I hope you understand what I mean by that.

I think they are trying to sell it to you on mileage.
Most of them involve inspections, oil change and tire rotation.
The fuel system treatment is likely unnecessary, probably based on a kickback they get from the company that supplies the solvents they use for the process. While I agree some of those services are beneficial, Anything that adds a chemical to the fuel system makes me nervous.
Gasoline out of the pump has so much detergent and additives in it, the carbon buildup of days gone by is almost eliminated.
Not to say that the induction system is free of carbon buildup, but even cars with 150K on them that I service have nice clean injector tips and little buildup on the valves and intake passages.
The worst place is right behind the throttle blade for carbon buildup. Some good cleaner like GMs Top Engine Clean on a rag will take care of that in a jiffy. We offer a BG service that feeds cleaner into the intake and removes it a bit better.

Bottom line, use your owner's manual recommended services, look at a dealers service menu and pick their services that match what you need for your car. Most menus are generic, and for newer cars, quite unrealistic.
I wouldn't stop trusting them, and I wouldn't be mad at them for suggesting additional services... afterall we all do get paid on some sort of commission basis. Just decline what you don't want and thank them for what you get.

I hope this makes some sense.
thanks for the info

1 - 15 of 15 Posts