Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
'98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the mileage for my 4.9 liter V8 that took down a supercharged Riviera and an Integra swaped Honda Civic.

The Riviera wasn't supposed to be a race, but it turned out to be. I was rolling on cruise just a little while ago when I needed to pass a guy driving a Riviera. I was going about 40 mph, which isn't exactly a sweet spot for me when I decided to pull on the guy. I pulled strong enough to pass in front and let off, but low and behold, he floored his car once I let off and I couldn't make the jump in front...For a second at least...I seen him pull and I went ahead and floored the Seville again, from about 48-50 mph. He pulled one car on me until I caught speed and took him down. By the time I had a car on him, he finally let off and went his merry way, making a turn and doing a burnout on his turn. I got into my lane just in time...

Soon after, I was being followed by what appeared to be a standard ricer. I noticed him riding my tail, so I give the Seville the gas she needs to pull away from him from a 25 mph roll, which is a sweet spot for me. As I accelerated, he did too, but I pulled well enough to figure he learned his lesson and then I let off. I was wrong...He pulled around my right side and was going WOT, trying to make a pass. I too went WOT, but he, like the Buick had a car on me. This time though, I couldn't pull on him, but he also went nowhere all the way 'til 90 mph (yikes)...

Enter the stoplight. I motioned for him to line up after he was going to just stay in my lane behind me. But I egged him on. I asked him while at the red light, what, if anything, he had done to this Civic (Si hatchback, early '90's), in which he replied that he had an Integra swap in the car. At the moment, I believed him, and still do...So I told him to let her rip, and I would do the same.

Green...

We both spun our tires, mine maybe a little more, and we went forwards...He had a half car because of the better traction, but once the Seville revved up, I actually pulled enough to take his lane and move on. When we came to another light, I was complemented that my car was "badassed" and I gave him the same courtesy. It was all good...:thumbsup:

I also used .2 gallons of gas with that little race, which tells me that I am done with that for now... :mad:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ralph said:
LOL, good one!

Now what's this about picking on poor little Civics. ;)

How many trannies have you gone through?
Hey there...That Civic wasn't the standard little ricer. This car actually had something better than a wing... :p

As for trannies, none. The engine has never been torn down either. No head gaskets, nothing except a timing chain 35,000 miles ago. Just wait until I do put the a.) turbo in, and b.) the new engine with the turbo after I put the turbo on the current engine...I think I have a few 'Vette's on my future kill list :devil:

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
illumina said:
As for trannies, none. The engine has never been torn down either. No head gaskets, nothing except a timing chain 35,000 miles ago. Just wait until I do put the a.) turbo in, and b.) the new engine with the turbo after I put the turbo on the current engine...I think I have a few 'Vette's on my future kill list :devil:
That makes me feel better. I've read threads about 4.9 L powered cars that needed 2 trannies BY 150,000 miles!!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ralph said:
That makes me feel better. I've read threads about 4.9 L powered cars that needed 2 trannies BY 150,000 miles!!
Trannies come in different conditions as you might have guessed. I am guessing that mine was pretty well off when I first got her, because I'm just now showing a TC engagement fault from the codes.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
illumina said:
I also used .2 gallons of gas with that little race, which tells me that I am done with that for now... :mad:
I know how that is, I used 1.2 gallons making 5 runs at the strip last time I went. That's about 2.8 miles total which is 2.3- mpg. :eek:

Nice races btw..

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thing is about these races was that the Buick actually worried me. I know I was in a bad gear so-to-speak, but he really did give quite a pull while I was trying to catch up. When I did get even with him and then some, he backed off...

As for the ricer, I knew he wasn't running stock anything except for a stock body. I've seen and have been beaten by far worse than the Civic I ran in to, but that one was for real. Think about it, an Integra engine in a smaller Civic. It was a quick little bugar.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Think about a 500 and TH425 in the back of a CRX...

The Riveras are fast, plain and simple. Even my ETC has a fairly hard time with them. And with how cheap a pulley is, quite a few people are pushing more than stock boost. Especially up here where the altitude is like having a negative 2-3psi blower, they can run a pulley to make up that loss in pressure but I sure can't.

I thought some jackass in an SRT-4 was riding my ass yesterday. He actually just wanted to get around traffic in the next lane to pull up next to me and ask if I was the guy on racingsouthwest. I asked if there was another guy with a loud red ETC he knew of.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I don't think the Rivie was trying. Those are some fast little shits with the supercharger. Nice kill on the ricer tho.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JC316 said:
I don't think the Rivie was trying. Those are some fast little shits with the supercharger. Nice kill on the ricer tho.
No, the Riviera certainly was trying. He was pissed enough to do a corner-turn burnout when I made the pass. If I was heading in his direction, I certainly would have followed and ate him alive and the ask for desert! That said, I've beaten them before, but more off the line instead of a pass. According to the numbers, stock Riviera's are high 15 second cars. Add that those are magazine articles, they're likely a little faster on the street.

My car has been timed at a nice 15.33. In all honesty though, I am thinkng that with the high mileage, she has lost a step or two.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JC316 said:
Here is a site that you can see the 1/4 mile times. 1/4 mile time on a 97 Riviera 13.951 at 97 MPH. http://www.dragtimes.com/Buick-Riviera-Timeslip-3591.html. It might not have been the supercharged version.
I'm positive that it was the blown version. You see, the dual exhaust and the "supercharged" badge on the trunk lid give this away. But hey, I don't expect everyone to believe me...

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1997/buick/riviera/283/specs.html?tid=edmunds.u.prices.leftsidenav..6.Buick*

This is an Edmunds review for a supercharged 1997 Buick Riviera. 0-60 mph in 8 seconds...The car in your link had some extra things done to it. Likely a smaller pulley or something. Given the 0-60 times posted there, my car should have no problem dealing with the Riviera. I think that with 158,266 plus miles, the Seville might be losing some edge.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The Riviera weighs in a 3800LBS and has 240HP, I am not sure what your seville weighs, but it has 200 HP. That would have to be a helluva weight difference to make up for 40HP. Not only that, but the 240HP hits at 5600RPM, giving him a pretty good edge at higher speeds. I ran one down in a Mark VIII before, but he gave a damn good fight. I am not saying that you are lying or anything and you probably did beat him, I just don't think he was trying his best. There is no need for ruffled feathers here and I am not trying to make your car look bad or start a fight.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JC316 said:
The Riviera weighs in a 3800LBS and has 240HP, I am not sure what your seville weighs, but it has 200 HP. That would have to be a helluva weight difference to make up for 40HP. Not only that, but the 240HP hits at 5600RPM, giving him a pretty good edge at higher speeds. I ran one down in a Mark VIII before, but he gave a damn good fight. I am not saying that you are lying or anything and you probably did beat him, I just don't think he was trying his best. There is no need for ruffled feathers here and I am not trying to make your car look bad or start a fight.
Oh, you've stirred up a Hornets nest now buddy!!! :want:

Actually, this is why I never post in any kills: everybody wants to one-up the original poster by calling them liars and such. I guess I should state this again, he was giving it everything he had. I will race that Buick anytime again and I will kill him in a decisive manner mext time around. I promise that!!! But hey, to the liars like me, right? :mad:

:nono:

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
his car isnt stock, just to let u know, its around 260hp

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
his car isnt stock, just to let u know, its around 260hp
What, mine? Yeah, she has more than the stock 200 hp, and the powerband with the timing shift has likely moved to the 4400 rpm range. 260 though? Don't know about that...

Track results from September 2003 (ticket stub is no longer available):

15.38 @ 90 mph,
Reaction time was around .4 (I know, that's a little bad),
Sorry, the rest is all a memory that I can't recall...

G-Tech results:

7.05 0-60 mph,
15.33 @ 89.9 mph,
WHP 202 horse power with another run.

What the doubters will say:

"G-Tech's are useless" (Motor Trend tested several accelerometer models to be very accurate, with the mph figures being slightly off on some models),

"You are lying. Your car doesn't have that kind of power with your bolt-on's and all..."

"You have a Cadillac. It's not meant for racing."

"Yoy're full of shit Illumina, that guy wasn't even trying"!

"You've lost the track stub? That proves that you're a liar"!

My point is, call me what you like folks. Liar; fabricator of truth; lord of fallacies; Father of lies; whatever you'd like...It really doesn't matter to me, and consider this my last post on a kill so that my credibility as an honest person may return :(

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
WHOOPS!!!!!!! My bad, I was thinking your car was stock :banghead: . I am sorry that I doubted you, with 260 HP you would most definatly destroy a Rivie. Like I said, I wasn't calling you a liar or ragging on your car. I was simply stating that a STOCK 91 Seville wouldn't be able to take a Riviera and I assumed that your car was stock. Again I apologize about the mixup on my part.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JC316 said:
WHOOPS!!!!!!! My bad, I was thinking your car was stock :banghead: . I am sorry that I doubted you, with 260 HP you would most definatly destroy a Rivie. Like I said, I wasn't calling you a liar or ragging on your car. I was simply stating that a STOCK 91 Seville wouldn't be able to take a Riviera and I assumed that your car was stock. Again I apologize about the mixup on my part.
No big deal. I'm having a bad day...Please accept my formal apology :eek:

My issue with the whole thing is that my car is not running as well as she has before. With close to 160K miles on the clock, I'm guessing that things are starting to show some wear. My tranny is, and has been showing a TC code as mentioned in a few posts before this among other things. It wasn't the kill that I want from my car, that's why it was too close to call...

Stock though, 0-60 for the '91 STS was 8.6 seconds; mine was likely slower off the showroom floor. You'd be amazed at what a little bit of tuning can do for the 4.9 liter...

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
If you think the car has gotten slower... run it at the track again and see. Weather should be fairly similar since the 15.38 run was in September, too.

Rivieras seem to me like they're faster than any 15.9 like the magazine time I see for them by maybe up to half a second.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
yeah, theres absolutly no way a supercharged riviera wil run a 13.9 If i remember correctly, there isnt one stock car with a supercharged 3800 that will do the 1/4 mile quicker than about a 14.7 I believe the quickest S/C 3800 is the Grand Prix GTPs. On www.car-stats.com, they have the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for a 1995 Supercharged Riviera; 7.8: 0-60 and the 1/4 mile in 15.9, now keep in mind that the 1995 was the only year the series I 3800 was in the riviera. The Supercharged Series I 3800 V6 is 225hp & 275lb/ft. The Supercharged Series II 3800 V6 was 240hp & 280lb/ft

1 - 20 of 35 Posts