Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6 Luxury Sport RWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local dealer has a leftover 2014 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD. Brand new with full factory warranty. Less than 100 miles.
Sticker was $48k.
Website sez $44k.
Talked them down to $40k plus taxes/dealer fees then told them I'd think about it.
Just realized the 2016s are coming out real soon so this car is essentially two years old and I thought "How badly do they want to get rid of this car? I wonder if they'd take $35k plus taxes/fees."

13 grand is one hell of a discount and obviously it's the dealer's call but am I crazy for even asking for that much off? Have any of you ever been that bold when buying a leftover vehicle? Or maybe I'm just being cheap. Your thoughts please.

·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,245 Posts
You should look up what a used 2014 is worth and use
that to present your case. You are close to being 2
years old. I think lease residual for 2 years is about
62%, which is $31k, as a guideline.

I think it depends on how bad they want to sell it.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
Local dealer has a leftover 2014 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD. Brand new with full factory warranty. Less than 100 miles.
Sticker was $48k.
Website sez $44k.
Talked them down to $40k plus taxes/dealer fees then told them I'd think about it.
Just realized the 2016s are coming out real soon so this car is essentially two years old and I thought "How badly do they want to get rid of this car? I wonder if they'd take $35k plus taxes/fees."

13 grand is one hell of a discount and obviously it's the dealer's call but am I crazy for even asking for that much off? Have any of you ever been that bold when buying a leftover vehicle? Or maybe I'm just being cheap. Your thoughts please.
You never know until you try. Whats the worst that can happen they say no? I use to think that way with woman. She says no and on to the next. 1 will always say yes. That's how not so good looking men end up with a dime piece if you know what I mean.You will be surprised what a dealer would consider. They might even change their mind and call you back. Or you start walking out the door and the say come back and lets talk. Just try it out. And you're not cheap it's being smart.

With that being said I would offer them say $38k for that car. I wouldn't go to low and insult them.$38k for that car is pretty low IMO and you stole it. For me that car isn't old it's still brand new. This is where you get a hell of a deal with a new car.

By the way is that MAD DOG 20-20:suspect:

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6 Luxury Sport RWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way is that MAD DOG 20-20

No, but I do remember that stuff.

Friends say I have a bit of a temper. I have been known to go from zero to totally angry in no time flat. Like a mad dog. Hence the name.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
I bet you can find a very low mile 2013 or 2014 premium for under $30k if you keep an eye out. Is the extra $8k-$10 worth it it you so you can say you bought new?? It's not to me. The values of the ATS drop like a rock.

·
Registered
2014 ATS4 Performance 3.6L, 2014 Jeep GC EcoDiesel
120 Posts
Considering the 16's are around the corner, I honestly think $35k is not unfair. I do not think it is crazy at all, I got around a $11k discount on my 2014 over a year ago and it had a similar MSRP. I had to be patient with the dealer for a month, but they eventually caved and gave me the price I wanted as their ATS inventory was moving so slow. Glad I got the deal, because the depreciation on the ATS has been an eye opener.

·
Registered
2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
601 Posts
i like ur analogy!
duneless said:
You never know until you try. Whats the worst that can happen they say no? I use to think that way with woman. She says no and on to the next. 1 will always say yes. That's how not so good looking men end up with a dime piece if you know what I mean.You will be surprised what a dealer would consider. They might even change their mind and call you back. Or you start walking out the door and the say come back and lets talk. Just try it out. And you're not cheap it's being smart. With that being said I would offer them say $38k for that car. I wouldn't go to low and insult them.$38k for that car is pretty low IMO and you stole it. For me that car isn't old it's still brand new. This is where you get a hell of a deal with a new car. By the way is that MAD DOG 20-20:suspect:

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
223 Posts
I agree that $35k isn't a crazy starting point. That is a 2 year old car and many people on this site have gotten around $10k off MSRP on younger cars. If the sticker is $48k, I wouldn't even think of paying more than $38k.

·
Registered
2014 2.0t AWD
276 Posts
Like others have said, dealers were giving $10k-$11k off MSRP last November, that's 8 months ago, so they should be doing better than that now. Another thing I would check is the date the car was built (driver's door jamb) - just to get an idea of how long that car has been around.

....I wouldn't go to low and insult them....
Why not, they insult me when they tell me what my trade-in is worth :cynic:

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
Like others have said, dealers were giving $10k-$11k off MSRP last November, that's 8 months ago, so they should be doing better than that now. Another thing I would check is the date the car was built (driver's door jamb) - just to get an idea of how long that car has been around.

Man I didn't want to go down that route but your right. They insulted me so bad one time I just said a 2 word phrase to them and walked out. You are not robbing me. They did it on my last BMW trade for this Caddy. They said "sir you are trading in for a luxury brand" I said "what the hell you think a 745li is". I went on to list him what was in my car and he didn't like it. I mean my BMW had curtains for Christ sake and self closing doors and trunk.Sorry but some sales guys get under my skin. Some are really good and others think your dumb to make a sale.

----------

i like ur analogy!
I learned this from a regular Joe friend back when I was 20. He had no money or good looks and always went home from the club with some woman. He would go through 20 woman a night spitting his game on woman. 1 or more a night would want to go home with him. Gift of gab if you want to say. Simple questions and straight to the point. He had no chance he would go on to the next and could be 2 feet away from the last one he asked. Some just liked he had the balls to ask them not being in their league and some would grab him at the end of the night after some drinks. He was good but it's simple and makes plenty of sense. So I apply this to many things in life and it works. Including haggling.

----------

By the way is that MAD DOG 20-20

No, but I do remember that stuff.

Friends say I have a bit of a temper. I have been known to go from zero to totally angry in no time flat. Like a mad dog. Hence the name.
Funny you said that because I to have a temper but they nicknamed me D-nice just the opposite of who I am. Funny how nicknames stick. Pushipants you reading this?::worship:

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T Performance
88 Posts
I mean, yes everyone is right--offer whatever you want to pay, and the worst they can say is no. But at this point, whatever you do end up paying is still going to be a great deal for that car. I paid about $38k for my 2.0T Performance (MSRP $46.6), and I was quite happy. If I could have gotten a 3.6 Premium for that, I would have felt like I was robbing the place. Ultimately, they're not going to sell it to you for less than they can afford to do so. Eventually, GM will give them whatever final payout there is for an unsold car, so they're not going to give it away for less than that. I have to imagine that they're not exactly trying to play games with you on the car at this point. Give them a lowball offer if you want, but when you ask what their bottom line is, they'll probably give you an honest answer. They just want to move the car and call it a day at this point. Expecting another $5k off their already attractive price on a brand new Cadillac is just unrealistic, but I certainly encourage you to prove me wrong. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
I don't believe in trading in but why not just tell the dealer you have adapted no-haggle trade in pricing to make the transaction simpler and less stressful for them.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,402 Posts
I don't believe in trading in but why not just tell the dealer you have adapted no-haggle trade in pricing to make the transaction simpler and less stressful for them.
I also don't believe it trading in my cars, prefer to do the work and get more out of it but I can definitely see a reason to trade. I also like not having to mix two deals into one.

So you want to negotiate the price down on the new car, once you get it where you want it they get a "take it or leave it" price from you on the trade? I guess you can do whatever you want but when they say they can't do what you want I guess you need to be ready to walk.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
I also don't believe it trading in my cars, prefer to do the work and get more out of it but I can definitely see a reason to trade. I also like not having to mix two deals into one.

So you want to negotiate the price down on the new car, once you get it where you want it they get a "take it or leave it" price from you on the trade? I guess you can do whatever you want but when they say they can't do what you want I guess you need to be ready to walk.
It depends honestly. The dealer would not negotiate on the car I bought but I was able to get very close to retail on the car I traded in. They probably made less than $500 on it. For me it was worth not having to sell it.

·
Registered
2013 ATS Luxury AWD 3.6
3 Posts
I picked up my 13' Luxury AWD 3.6 for $33,750 two weeks ago. 35K for a 14' sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
2013 ATS Luxury AWD 3.6
3 Posts
It was a left over. I went in looking for a Regal with AWD and saw it over in the corner of the lot. I didnt even know what an ATS was until that day.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
848 Posts
At the end of Dec 2014, most dealers were selling for about 20% off MSRP, (all rebates inclusive).
Any leftovers of 14's by now should be negotiated down to 25% (they just need to clear them off the lots). Does anyone know if they go lower?

·
Registered
NONE
8 Posts
At the end of Dec 2014, most dealers were selling for about 20% off MSRP, (all rebates inclusive).
Any leftovers of 14's by now should be negotiated down to 25% (they just need to clear them off the lots). Does anyone know if they go lower?
Even a few months ago, there were a number of dealers around the country advertising 25%+ off of 2014s; prices certainly shouldn't have gone up in the meanwhile. There are currently two 2014 3.6 Premiums listed on cars.com for $15k off of MSRP; that's ~30% off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts