Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hitting 120K miles, it's been 1 thing after the other. 2 hours from home, my car just shuts down in the middle of nowhere. After finally getting towed/rental car etc, it's a bad "crank shaft position sensor"
A month later, my CTS just shuts down with an "engine power reduced" message on the GUI. Again with the towing/rental car ordeal. Turns out to be a bad throttle body assembly. The part is back ordered for a week. After replacing it, this one goes bad again within a week. I'm taking it back in today.
Just a warning for those getting higher up on the miles. When something goes bad with this car, it doesn't mess around. Like a lightbulb, the car simply dies unexpectedly.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 135K miles and my CTS is going to s#*t

Yea, it probably not a good idea to take your car to get serviced by a dealership when they just had a new model come out. I'm sure they're thinking the same thing. I like everything about the '08 except the grille. The grille makes me want to vomit.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts

Yea, it probably not a good idea to take your car to get serviced by a dealership when they just had a new model come out. I'm sure they're thinking the same thing. I like everything about the '08 except the grille. The grille makes me want to vomit.
I agree on the grill. I'm sure custom grills will be out soon.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
After hitting 120K miles, it's been 1 thing after the other. 2 hours from home, my car just shuts down in the middle of nowhere. After finally getting towed/rental car etc, it's a bad "crank shaft position sensor"
A month later, my CTS just shuts down with an "engine power reduced" message on the GUI. Again with the towing/rental car ordeal. Turns out to be a bad throttle body assembly. The part is back ordered for a week. After replacing it, this one goes bad again within a week. I'm taking it back in today.
Just a warning for those getting higher up on the miles. When something goes bad with this car, it doesn't mess around. Like a lightbulb, the car simply dies unexpectedly.
135k miles on a CTS? Definitely the highest mileage CTS that I know of.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts

I agree on the grill. I'm sure custom grills will be out soon.
But its not just the grills look in that aspect. Its the shape of it even. Cant do anything about that except if your gonna get crazy and start cutting and what not and getting customs parts made.

IDK i guess we will see what kinda grilles companies come up with.

·
Registered
Cadillac 03 Black CTS
72 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just hit 115k this past week. I haven't had a problem yet, but i'll be on watch. The 08 CTS is flat out ugly in my opinion. My dealer has been trying to push me as well and there isn't anything wrong with my CTS. Good luck. I love my CTS, but I love my Z4 M as well

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: 135K miles and my CTS is going to UPDATE!

OK here's the depressing update. My car is still throwing "throttle body assembly" codes. Since the new assembly didn't fix the problem, they are telling me I need a whole new engine wiring kit ($2500!!!). They have to take the engine out to do it. I guess a bad wiring harness can cause these to go bad? They claim they did one last month and it fixed the problem. They also said it's pretty common around 120K miles. Nice.

Crankshaft Position Sensor $350
Throttle Assy $900
Wiring Kit $2500

$3750 in repairs in the last 90 days!!!=
my next car is an Acura or Lexus. I drive 1500 miles a week and I need a car that will go to 250K miles before these types of issues.

$3400 in repai

·
Registered
2013 ATS
1,059 Posts
:bomb: Yeah, sucks about American cars. I bought my CTS BECAUSE it's an american car. For my loyalty and state side pride i have this to look forward to? I hear Germany makes a reliable ride.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
:bomb: Yeah, sucks about American cars. I bought my CTS BECAUSE it's an american car. For my loyalty and state side pride i have this to look forward to? I hear Germany makes a reliable ride.
yea go buy a Benz and test that
while your at it buy 2 because 1 will ALWAYS be in the shop

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts

... I drive 1500 miles a week and I need a car that will go to 250K miles before these types of issues.
Geez that's a LOT of miles for a single week, why bother with an expensive car like a Lexus or Acura, just get something you can beat the sh!t out of, Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. Those seem to last for ever, in my experience American cars just can't hang in there in terms of high mileage with out major repairs and big money spent to maintain them. All my american cars started sh!tting the bed at about 80k, after that it was just one problem after another. I keep them until about 90k max and then its trade in time.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
The reliable reputation of German cars is also based on the older generations. Those 70's and 80's Mercedes and Volkswagen still run around.
But I seen new Mercedeses and BMW's stranded as well, so don't get your hopes up on those. Parts for those are even more expensive than for your Cadillac!

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts

OK here's the depressing update. My car is still throwing "throttle body assembly" codes. Since the new assembly didn't fix the problem, they are telling me I need a whole new engine wiring kit ($2500!!!). They have to take the engine out to do it. I guess a bad wiring harness can cause these to go bad? They claim they did one last month and it fixed the problem. They also said it's pretty common around 120K miles. Nice.

Crankshaft Position Sensor $350
Throttle Assy $900
Wiring Kit $2500

$3750 in repairs in the last 90 days!!!=
my next car is an Acura or Lexus. I drive 1500 miles a week and I need a car that will go to 250K miles before these types of issues.

$3400 in repai
You have an 03 correct?
You do not need a harness!
You need to tell the service writer to pull up that bulletin and show it to you.
Have him do it at his desk!
After you both look over the TSB or PI I think you will have a different understanding.
03 :alchi:
I am building a manual trans for an 03. one year only trans. Nightmare.
Do your plate lights and Reverse lights work?
I can list and list 03 problems, but it is how evolution works

·
Registered
'04 CTS
43 Posts
Ok, I'm in for the evening and I've had a drink and find I just can't let this one alone. First, sensorium, I'm sorry you're having this much trouble with anything as important as your ride to work and I'm even sorrier that anything I can say here won't help. But after years of living-with and working-on cars from all parts of the globe, I hold the following to be true:

1. Mechanics may be trained mechanics but they're not trained analysts. They jump to conclusions. I've had several extraordinarily reliable long-term (i.e. greater than 150K miles) GM cars.
2. Every time you disconnect, reconnect and reposition wiring in a "mature" vehicle your chances of changing the behavior of that vehicle are excellent. I wonder if the last one they fixed by replacing the wiring harness is still fixed.
3. Statistics show that, although initial quality may be superior, long term maintenance requirements of European cars is often worse than their domestic competition. And, thanks in part to the strong Euro, the cost of parts means that most euro dealerships have those do-it-yourself-heart-jump-starters mounted to the wall right next to the cashiers counter. And, yes, Japanese cars are a bit better.
4. It all comes down to how lucky you are and the circumstances under which the car is operated and stored. Corrosion is an insidious enemy of auto electrical systems and causes the worst kind of problem... an intermittant one. So cars that are kept outdoors or those that are operated in consistently wet or, worse, salty conditions are at greater risk.

Good luck, and again, my condolences.

Strud

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ajxtcman

Can you elaborate on the TSB or PI you are referring to? It's too late, they have replaced the harness. Please give me more info/links. Did they rip me off?

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Subject: Intermittent No Power MIL With TPS TAC TCM DTCs Set - keywords PIINSI 3.2L acceleration check connector contamination display driveability DTC ECM engine hard harness hesitate hesitation idle #PIP3370A - (04/25/2007)

Models: 2003 Cadillac CTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update part numbers. Please discard PIP3370.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Concern on the 2003 Cadillac CTS of a lack of power, stalls or when pressing down on the accelerator pedal the vehicle will not accelerate. This condition can be intermittent or have the MIL "On" with ECM, TPS, TCM and TAC DTCs with a reduction in engine power message displayed on the IPC.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Concern on the 2003 Cadillac CTS of a lack of power, stalls or when pressing down on the accelerator pedal the vehicle will not accelerate. This condition can be intermittent or have the MIL "On" with ECM, TPS, TCM and TAC DTCs with a reduction in engine power message displayed on the IPC.

Engine harness connector pigtail part numbers GM 15306420 or Saturn 15318094 are available. Engine harness connector terminal part number (six are needed) 9628855 are also available and can be located in electrical terminal kit (Yazaki Tray 15 position 13). Use self-sealing connectors to make the connection and do not solder the wires. Refer to SI Document ID # 303648, splicing copper wire using splice sleeves.

Throttle body assembly part number 09128412. Refer to SI Document ID # 799178, throttle body assembly replacement and SI document number 799179, for throttle body service.

Note: GM dealers must call a Saturn dealer to order part number 15318094, if the GM part number 15306420 is not available.

For additional information on the TAC system, refer to SI Document ID # 820892, for TAC system description of operation.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
America makes fine cars. I guess you "import" folks have forgotten about the BBC, SBC, 4.3, 3800, LSX and Ecotec enignes from GM. While not a refined as the import crap. I will almost guaruntee they will last longer with less maintenance with much more abuse then any wimpy import engine.
Look at some of the mileage on the newer LSX powered trucks, f-bodies and Vettes.
They are lots of them with well over 200,000 trouble free miles and they have been used to tow and haul. You don't do that with small ass Toyota or Honda engine. You have to be making power to break something.
You can have your German crap. The wife had a 2002 TDI, worst car we have ever owned. (I married into that crapper) Left her stranded 5 or 6 times and cost more to maintain then any car I have ever owned.
I will take my CTS anyday of the week vs any import.
Rant off.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts