Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate any insight on this. I have a 2013 A6 V coupe with 29K miles that is stock with exception of LPE intake. Just noticed recently that it pings a little when I jump on it at high rpms. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually AmPm (ARCO) or Costco and always 91. Thought all gas stations get it from one source. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what preignition sounds like. Just know that there's a slight rattling going on when I load it up top, 4500-6000 and just on the initial hit. What was the fix? Did you have to replace the supercharger? Just can't see how that would cause it except if it pumped too much air :)

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe
5 Posts
Pre-ignition is what most people call detonation (which it isn't). It is when you hear a rattle under acceleration due usually to very bad fuel. They replaced my SC.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply! I think I will try a good tank of gas and if it's still present, I'll take it in as it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it by the dealership yesterday. My service advisor immediately upon hearing the description said the blower needs to be replaced. I told him it wasn't the rattle in the blower but from the engine as in pinging. He still insisted it was the blower and wants to to set up an appt for the swap. It's still under warranty and they have the upgraded blower with the good isolator in stock. If it's the blower, could it be because of the oil ingestion? I never did get around to installing a catch can but will be after the new blower goes on.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
From your description there is reason to doubt the SA's diagnosis. I would get a second opinion. If the problem is confirmed to be the supercharger, let them replace it.

If the supercharger is replaced and your V still has the original pinging noise, not only is the original problem not solved, but now your new supercharger may develop the dreaded buzz/rattling noise many have complained of.

12,778 Posts
Took it by the dealership yesterday. My service advisor immediately upon hearing the description said the blower needs to be replaced. I told him it wasn't the rattle in the blower but from the engine as in pinging. He still insisted it was the blower and wants to to set up an appt for the swap. It's still under warranty and they have the upgraded blower with the good isolator in stock. If it's the blower, could it be because of the oil ingestion? I never did get around to installing a catch can but will be after the new blower goes on.
Hi midnightc5,

I'm sorry to hear about your CTS and I'm glad you're working with your dealer towards a resolution. I understand that you are soliciting opinions on this thread, but please know that we are also available to provide you with additional support should you need it. If you would like a diagnosis from a different dealer for a second opinion, I would be happy to help you schedule an appointment. If you're interested, please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and alternative dealer that you'd like to work with. Otherwise, please keep us updated on how things go with your current dealer and if you decide to proceed with replacing the blower.

Best,
Vivian K.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vfan, If they decide to put a new blower on, won't it come with an upgraded isolator? My SA told me it's the upgaded blower whatever that means. Thanks for your response!

Vivian (CCC), I was given this diagnosis without the car present so I think I will bring the car in and ask for a diagnoses before any work is done. If it there's a blower replacement work order before it makes it pass the SA booth, I will get a second opinion before any work is done. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Vfan, If they decide to put a new blower on, won't it come with an upgraded isolator? My SA told me it's the upgaded blower whatever that means. Thanks for your response!
Yes, the replacement blowers come with the solid coupler.

There are a number of threads that go into detail about this issue. This is just one of the newer ones -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2015-cadillac-cts-v-general/645553-replacement-supercharger-fix-rattle-makes-new.html

For more threads/info use the search function and you'll find several supercharger replacement threads.

Some guys have been happy with their replacement SC's, but with as many complaints as have been discussed here I wouldn't let anybody touch my OE blower unless I'm certain that is the problem.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is what I'm afraid of! My oem blower is dead quiet, in all conditions and makes good power. The car just pings alittle just on the hit at high rpms.
So my question is how would the blower cause slight pinging/detenation other than the fact it may be coated in oil. I've read that could cause detenation.
Definately don't want to trade one problem for another. My car sounds like your gettiing after it with 89 octane in the tank, plain and simple!

12,778 Posts

Vivian (CCC), I was given this diagnosis without the car present so I think I will bring the car in and ask for a diagnoses before any work is done. If it there's a blower replacement work order before it makes it pass the SA booth, I will get a second opinion before any work is done. Thank you for your help.
You are welcome, midnightc5. I’ll be sure to pass your thanks on to Vivian. Let us know how everything goes with the dealership and feel free to send a PM our way if there is anything we can assist with.

Have a great day,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
Before you accept verbatim the diagnosis presented to you by the Cad
Service technician,consider the following:
Get several cans of heet, 2 or 3.
Find some higher octane gas & fill up to help get rid of any
condensation dirt in current fuel.
When you are done, the contaminated fuel you are
currently running might have already burnt / plugged a 02 sensor
so it might already need replacing.
Get the hell away from Arco.
I had same thing about 8 months ago, & it turned out to be bad gas, also from Arco.
Chevron or Shell for me now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts