Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago while I was driving, my 12 disc, AC Delco CD player stopped working. When I went to the trunk to check it out, the disc cartridge would not come out. After some banging around and light prying, still wouldn't come out. I thought something may be jammed inside of it but have not been able to take off the face of the unit. Today, I removed a couple of scews and tried to pry off the face of the unit but could not. I really don't want to break any plastic pieces or damage the unit any further. I couldn't get the face of the unit off though in the short time I had. It got dark when I was working on it so I am putting the fixit project off til tomorrow.

Has anyone ever had their OEM 12 disc changer jam before and not be able to remove the cartridge?
Has anyone ever taken the face off their unit and looked inside?
advice suggestions?
Any help is appreciated!!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Id suggest to take it out and take a look..... Dont even try to disassemble it on the car.....! The magazine could be broken, so that it just gets jammed when you eject it...... Does it make noises like it wants to eject it......?

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
elwesso said:
Id suggest to take it out and take a look..... Dont even try to disassemble it on the car.....! The magazine could be broken, so that it just gets jammed when you eject it...... Does it make noises like it wants to eject it......?
It plain doesn't move when I try to eject it. Imma gonna work on it this afternoon...i need my music back.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I bet its something simple....... Although, if one of its little plastic internal pieces is broken, that could be really bad........

I know if you have a sony 10 disc player (available in Q45), you can send it back, and for 100 they rebuild it to as new......... Maybe you could see what the dealer could do for you....... Maybe they have some sort of rebuilding deal???

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
elwesso said:
I bet its something simple....... Although, if one of its little plastic internal pieces is broken, that could be really bad........

I know if you have a sony 10 disc player (available in Q45), you can send it back, and for 100 they rebuild it to as new......... Maybe you could see what the dealer could do for you....... Maybe they have some sort of rebuilding deal???
Thanks Snipes. I don't think it has to be rebuilt. Maybe I'll take it completely apart if I can't get the cartridge out.

To this point, I removed it from the trunk alright even though the screws were a bit stubborn. Anyway, the people at Delco referred me to H&R Auto Radio in Pennsylvania even though I'm in Mass. I'm going to talk to the Delco technician there tomorrow and hopefully I'll get some good info. Meanwhile, I'll be listening to the radio...:annoyed:.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Hopefully youll just have to get the thing unstuck and put it back in and be on your merry way......!

Keep us updated!!!

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
elwesso said:
Hopefully youll just have to get the thing unstuck and put it back in and be on your merry way......!

Keep us updated!!!
Yes! Steve from h&r just made my day! Here's some good info for anyone else who has problems with their changer.

There is a reset button , the size of a pin hole in the upper left corner of the face of the changer, right above the sliding door. If your changer isn't working this should be the first course of action. You have to look closely, it is hard to see in a dark trunk.

Second, if this doesn't work. There is a release button that will allow the changer to slide out on the bottom of the unit. It is big enough for a small scewdriver to fit in. The thing is you have to unbolt the unit from the trunk and flip it over to be able to get at this feature. When I did this, the cd cartridge slid out like buttah baby(boston accent).

Now all I have to do is get it working again at lunchbreak. Wow, I can't believe i actually added some valuable information to this forum. laters.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Great info..... Glad it was simple...... Unfortunately, its not as simple as the electrical gremlins on my car..... All I have to do is unplug the respective accessory and plug it back in.......!!

·
Registered
96 Concours, 90 Deville
112 Posts
elwesso said:
Great info..... Glad it was simple...... Unfortunately, its not as simple as the electrical gremlins on my car..... All I have to do is unplug the respective accessory and plug it back in.......!!
Another note about these 12 CD changers: Occasionally mine will stop working and the radio displays "CD Changer Error." To get it working again, I open the trunk, unplug the power cable from the CD changer, and plug it back in. Seems to do the trick every time.

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Snyder81 said:
Another note about these 12 CD changers: Occasionally mine will stop working and the radio displays "CD Changer Error." To get it working again, I open the trunk, unplug the power cable from the CD changer, and plug it back in. Seems to do the trick every time.
good call...

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Very good call....... It has fixed my cruise control, cd changer, seat memory, RKE, and other things.......

I LOVE IT WHEN CARS FIX THEMSELVES!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you know what a radio back strap is it comes with aftermarket radios and is a metal band that is long and thin if you do not have one go to a local stereo shop and ask for one it might cost you a whole $1.00 take the strap and on the bottom of the changer were the cartridge of disks go slide it to the left and right cautiosly and it should release it and pop out or you might have to pull it out slowly. this is very common in stock changers and aftermarket ones to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts