Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a video of a run I made at Atlanta Dragway on Friday.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DL22eHSjKQ4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DL22eHSjKQ4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

My car is a 2009 CTS-V automatic with wait4me ECM and air box mod.

I was trying out some new Mickey Thompson 305/35 18" drag radials. The tires worked great - I highly recommend them to anyone looking to improve their 60' time. I pulled a 1.762 and a 1.796 60' and I believe there's more potential in the tires but due to a huge crowd and numerous mishaps on the track I only got in two passes in 5 hours. I didn't have a chance to try different tire pressures and launch techniques to try and zero in on an optimal launch. Here's a quick overview of the two passes I made:

First pass: Tires at 18PSI, did a light burnout. I couldn't hold the burnout very long because when the tires heated up they started grabbing too hard to hold the car with light brake pressure. I launched at idle and floored it on the last yellow light. This resulted in no spin at all and a 1.796 60' time. I had one tire and rim marked to check for bead/wheel slippage and it did slip 5" on that pass so according to MT's website I should be using beadlock wheels.

Second pass - The one on video: I wanted to get some tire spin off the line on a least one pass so I put the tires at 22 PSI - I know, that's crazy high but I was determined to make 'em spin and knew this would be my last pass. No burnout in the water. I did a dry-spin up to the line and they did spin. I torque-braked it - Don't remember the RPM but not very high - I would guess 2500 RPM at most. This resulted in a 1.762 60' time and there was some spin off the line but the car was pulling hard and the launch felt good. The Vette in the other lane is a C6 Z06 - The LS7 is fully built and has a ProCharger - Owner's friend said it was making 850 HP.

If I could have made more passes I would have dropped back down to 18 PSI and tried higher RPM torque-brake launches. These tires bite so hard I'm a little concerned that I could start really testing the durability of the rear end. MT's website says you can run these tires at the track with as low as 11 PSI! I don't think I'll be trying that but maybe so of you guys with 6-speed manuals want to test that out.

My fastest pass to date is an 11.918 @ 122.05 MPH so my MPH was down on the two runs above. It was warmer and much higher humidity but don't think that would account for the almost 6 MPH lower trap speed. About the only thing I can think of is the different amount of wheel spin at the start - That accounts for 2 MPH difference based on the 1/8 mile MPH/ET between the 116 and 122 MPH traps.

The MT 305/35 18" tires are heavy, 31 lbs, and my rims are just what my local store had in stock - I think they weigh 25 lbs each. So, I think I'm turning more weight than the stock wheels/tires. Also, the 305s stick out from the fenders a little - Fine with me but some might not like that fact - I'm not sure if a different rim would pull them in some.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V
65 Posts
Wow that is nice 60 ft time, is your car bone stock? did you race it with stabilitrack off? and on drive or with the shift on sport?, I know that tires is what we need the most for 1/4 mile time,,,good job..congrats...

·
Registered
09 CTS-V a tuxedo with a jetpack!
2,460 Posts
Makes sense though, wheelspin (especially in the first 60') equates to added mph on the top end. Your 60' times posted are actually pretty good for an irs vehicle of that mass.
That pass looked like you could of enjoyed a sandwich or doughnuts and coffee while tuning in Howard 101 going down the track and the other guy was wrestling with his shifter the whole way. Nice to see the vid posted, thanks.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My car has the wait4me ECM and airbox mod - Stock other than that and the MT Drag radials of course. All my runs are with the car in comp mode (hit TC button twice) and suspension setting on normal/touring. Tran in sport mode - You don't want to waste a run with the trans "just in drive". Put it in sport mode or it will launch in second gear (after the initial shift out of first which will probably happen as you're driving up to stage).

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
999 Posts
GA09CTSV, where do you live? I saw a black V2 in Buckhead two Saturday evenings ago. Was that you?

·
Registered
09 CTS-V
65 Posts
My car has the wait4me ECM and airbox mod - Stock other than that and the MT Drag radials of course. All my runs are with the car in comp mode (hit TC button twice) and suspension setting on normal/touring. Tran in sport mode - You don't want to waste a run with the trans "just in drive". Put it in sport mode or it will launch in second gear (after the initial shift out of first which will probably happen as you're driving up to stage).
Thanks guy for the info, what was your 1/4 mile on stock form? I live in florida I run my car in a hot temperature and my best pass was 12.33 @ 115 mph and 1.9 60ft and it was with the tc on, susp touring mode and tran in sport mode and launching on about 1800 rpm, I am doing my homework on what tire to use on our stock rims...

·
Registered
Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver
867 Posts
Please have the fellow that shoots the next clip, get a Tripodd, or something I got sea sick....

who won ?

Pulled away from that vet like a rocket then ???????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any idea on the density altitude during those runs? The mph is a bit low. 116 mph is what stock V are trapping and with your mods, you should've hit 120 mph at least.

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
Very nice! I should have went with mickey thompsons.. Im calling to order them today. My BFGs and thier 2.2 60ft are worthless on this car.....

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guy for the info, what was your 1/4 mile on stock form? I live in florida I run my car in a hot temperature and my best pass was 12.33 @ 115 mph and 1.9 60ft and it was with the tc on, susp touring mode and tran in sport mode and launching on about 1800 rpm, I am doing my homework on what tire to use on our stock rims...
My best stock time was 12.124 @ 116.02 MPH with 1.863 60' - That was my very first pass in the car. I only made 3 passes stock before getting the wait4me ECM.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please have the fellow that shoots the next clip, get a Tripodd, or something I got sea sick....

who won ?

I crossed the line first - In the video you can see the win light come on in my lane. Vette ran 12.782 @ 122.62 MPH with 2.162 60'

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any idea on the density altitude during those runs? The mph is a bit low. 116 mph is what stock V are trapping and with your mods, you should've hit 120 mph at least.
No, sorry, don't know that info - I did trap 122 mph at a different track. I agree that the 116 trap speed seemed low but I believe some of that was due to reduced wheel spin at the start - Nutz commented on that too. Car felt strong on top end.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Very nice! I should have went with mickey thompsons.. Im calling to order them today. My BFGs and thier 2.2 60ft are worthless on this car.....
Hey Jesse, I was hoping you would chime in here. With these tires at a lower PSI, decent burnout and all your extra power I would expect you get some great launches. Any idea at what RPM would be safe to torque-brake the automatic up to at the line? I don't want to risk any trans damage. The rear end felt rock solid on the two passes. I forgot to mention too that a friend was there in his '97 Cobra with Nittos, 555R2s I think he said, and he was getting no traction even at 15 psi.

·
Registered
cts v
212 Posts
the management at my local dragstrip claim they have seen 3 different cts v rearends break and they believe it was because slicks were used. 2 people at that track told me"just don't get slicks". anybody believe there is truth to this or just an unreliable anecdote?

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
I would guess it was the OLDER generation V. Not the 2009. The 2004-2007 V had a Shi.. i mean Crappy rear end that i wouldnt even put in a honda.

·
Registered
Cadillac
354 Posts

who won ?

Left lane had the Win light.

I run my M/T's at 14 PSI to the tune of 1.48 60' (non cadillac)

They are great tires, I was wondering when someone was gonna run them.

Just be prepared for broken parts if you're launching real hard.

·
Registered
Cadillac 1998 STS
99 Posts
11.9 to the Supercharged ZO6's 12.7, you absolutley SMOKED that Vette.

Glad to see you are using your performance sedan to its potential. Looks like a lot of fun to me.

peace
Hog

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.