Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Deville
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people.
Today, I went to my normal mechanic to take a look at my car because it had ABS and Traction control lights on... it's been an intermittent problem and I've posted before about this, but now when I press the gas on a clean road the traction control randomly kicks in because it thinks it's slipping. SO, he says $358 for the left rear speed sensor part. I tell him I'll get back to him.

I go to this other mechanic, who does state inspections, and when it was all done with, tells me I needed a new air filter and put it in for me. Instantly, I see a check engine light. The check engine light is extremely rare for my car. SO, I pull codes. They are as follows:

TCS 1227 History Left Rear Excessive Wheel Speed Variation
1234 History Left Rear Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

MSM B1228 History Can't find anything in the sticky link

PCM P0113 Current Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage

P1111 Current Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage

Reading the sticky in the northstar section, I see that the first two are related to the speed sensor and I guess I'll be getting that replaced soon.

The MSM one I can't figure out. Something to do with the memory seat module... which works fine so I'm not too concerned about it.

The PCM codes alarm me, because this is right after the mechanic put in a new air filter. I cleared the codes, I'll see if they come back tomorrow. Any input on what any of these codes are doing would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I also hit 100,000 miles on the car today, all the way from 40,000 a little over 3 years ago. Since then, I've changed the head gaskets, short block motor, radiator, other little odds and ends, and most recently, the a/c compressor.

Thanks again guys.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
Re: 100,000 Mile Milestone... CODES CODES CODES

When he replaced the air filter, he forgot to plug the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor back in. look on the air filter box and you'll see the female connector (windshield side of the air box). You will probably see the male connector hanging loose very close by (blue wire if I remember correctly). Just plug it back in.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Very common to forget to plug that back in or break it, happened to my camry when the monkeys at jiffy lube broke it. That sounds like a good price for the wheel speed sensor, i believe its part of the wheel bearing assembly so the part isn't cheap.

·
Registered
97 Deville
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I fixed the problem with the air filter, and cleared the code and hasn't come back. I need to get the speed sensor thing done because the traction control keeps kicking in when I press the gas more and more for no reason. $358 is a good price for it... but is there any alternative? Are there aftermarket peices I can use or do you guys think it's possible to use a junkyard peice effectively? Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
Check the connector on the wheel hub to be sure it is clean and tight. Might also run a continuity test on it. If it needs replacing, I would not bother with a junkyard hub. Get a hub & bearing assembly from Napa or such for $100 - $200.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts