Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SRX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to this site. I have a 2008 SRX which I love. I was looking at my Onstar report this morning and it listed a 10 year special warranty? Anyone know what this covers? I also have 2 months until my 5 year limited powertain warranty is expired. Should I have the dealer give the vehicle a good go over? I have had many parts replaced under warranty but I worry with this warranty gone as repairs are expensive. I know they replaced a timing chain about 2 years ago and I currently only have 54,500 kilometers. Any advise would be great.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
I believe warranty is for cats. See your dealer or contact Katie on this forum (cust. service rep) for the full scoop.

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
They are not allowed to go looking for problems before the warranty expires. If you have a specific problem take it in. I screwed up with my inservice date and missed getting my rear hatch and sunroof looked at by two weeks.

The emission control devices (catalytic converters) are required in the US to carry an 8 year warranty, but I don't know about whatever place uses kilometers. i think the 10 year warranty is a special extension for those with the V6 that might have timing chain issues. Do you have the V6? Katie can run your VIN and see if you have the special extended warranty.

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
958 Posts
You can register your Cadillac on this GM site: www.my.cadillac.com
There's a warranty section that gives the various warranties that apply to your VIN.
If there's section entitled: "10 Year Special Coverage 11340" this one deals with the timing chain issue. You can do a web search and get specific details

·
Registered
2009 SRX AWD 3.6L
326 Posts
If it is like mine the 10 year / 120k mile warranty is for the timing chains. GM has a huge issue with this component in the V6 engines.

12,778 Posts
Thank you, glake and smithb! I'm indeed happy to investigate further, and sending me the last eight of the VIN would be very helpful to my research. I'm available via private message through the forum and via email at [email protected].

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
'08 SRX V6
542 Posts
Yes, the 10 yr/120k-mile warranty was instituted last year to cover ONLY a condition of timing chain stretch, and any associated damage, on ONLY the V6 engine. You can do a search herein to get more detail.

Some things you might do before the PT warranty expires:

- Check for any stored fail codes and see if they relate to the power train.
- look for fluid leaks from engine, trans, differential.
- listen carefully for any unusual noises after cold start-up, while idling, when shifting from P to D to R, while driving around corners, and accelerating. Get under the hood and really listen carefully.
- Accelerate briskly from zero up past 100km, and observe transmission performance and engine smoothness.

If you notice anything unusual, try to identify/isolate it as best you can, and if you are concerned, take it to the dealer and inform them of it. They may not agree it's a problem or significant enough to address at this time, but have them document the visit; and if it does fail later, you and the dealer may be successful in getting some GM assistance even after the warranty expires.

Oh, check the oil, check the oil, check the oil .....often.
And, I personally advocate changing the trans fluid at 50k miles, even if the book says 100k miles; my fluid was really nasty at 50k miles.

Wrench

1 - 7 of 7 Posts