8. MB G class (Galenda Wagon) $137k
7. BMW M6 Coupe $144k
6. Porsche 911 Turbo $150k
5. BMW Alpina B7 $150k
4. BMW M6 Conv $168k
3. MB SL Conv $168k
2. MB S class Sedan $171k
1. MB CL Class Conv $171k

So much for the classic discussion how american cars are worthless after you drive off the lot..

Seems like Mercedes and other German brands take quite a hit.

(sorry if its in the wrong section) I just heard from a few people that cadillacs depreciate terribly and I should by a mercedes..

I thought I'd share the info with you.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI
63 Posts
This is really an irrelevant measurement. Sure, each of these cars cost the most to own... because they cost the most to buy upfront! So a $100K car is gonna depreciate more than a $50K car. A better measurement would be what is the cost of ownership per $1,000 in purchase price.

This info doesnt tell us anything.

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just fooling around..

Don't take it too seriously.

Its real data that you can if you like shove up the @ssholes of those who think German cars are all that and more..

(I'm kidding of course) but a lot of people believe german vehicles are the "smarter" buy..

According to this data its not necessarily true.

·
Registered
NONE
184 Posts
It's logical that some outrageously expensive poseur cars lose a lot of nominal value right after they exit the dealer lots, and the customers get ripped off with high parts and service costs. In Russia, cars will typically lose about 15-17% of their value through the first year of ownership, and with sky high import duties on cars, it's no surprise depreciation alone could easily make for about $20k+ in cost of ownership per year for some of the listed cars.

On a side note, funny how they spelled the G-klasse full name :) It's actually Gelandewagen and means "all terrain vehicle" (note the etymological relation to English "LAND").

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Yeah, I don't think depreciation and overall owning costs matter much to the people who buy these new. They buy them because they can and they want to, costs be damned.

X

·
0 Posts
I expected the Jaguars to be in there. Talk about a pricey car that the value crashes after you buy it. Damn, I love the look of most Jags...

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Surprised the Range Rover isnt in there, but it looks like this list is just comprised of depreciation and like was said above, it is no surprise the most expensive cars will be the ones to depreciate the most rapidly.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Rolls Royce is not in the list ! :bouncy:

D

·
0 Posts
I'm just fooling around..

Don't take it too seriously.

Its real data that you can if you like shove up the @ssholes of those who think German cars are all that and more..

(I'm kidding of course) but a lot of people believe german vehicles are the "smarter" buy..

According to this data its not necessarily true.
I love German cars but I will readily admit that they are not the "smarter" buy. In the used car market maybe but thats only because of the huge depreciation they have sustained. When comparing use percentages instead of dollar amounts, I'll bet the Cadillacs are right there with the German cars. All luxury cars take a beating because it seems that people fear these high end cars after the warranty is out and with good reason. I have noticed that cars like Corvettes, Mustangs, etc seem to take much less of a hit.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Yes, it should be based on SEVERAL factors. Not to mention whoever created this lst doesnt have half a clue... they omitted the most obvious entry ever... the vw phaeton.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
I love german cars, but I will honestly admit they are not the smartest buy based upon cost of ownership. If I wanted a good value (lots of features for little money) in a used luxury car, I would have gone for a Buick, Lincoln or perhaps a Cadillac, but I bought a German car because it's a german car, and all that implies. And I knew wholeheartedly what I was getting into as far as cost of ownership goes.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
While I usually appreciate any study that knocks foreign cars, I have to say that this is complete bunk for several reasons.

First of all where are they getting these depreciation figures and what exactly do they mean by them. They're saying that a $100,000 Mercedes has a depreciation of $83,000. What? Are they trying to say that a 5 year old CL only has a resale value of $17,000? The rest of those depreciation figures for the other cars are just as absurd and they make no effort to explain what they mean or how they came to those numbers. Also how can they base these figures on new cars? How do they know for sure how much they will depreciate? If these figures were based on 2002 models, which they don't say they are, then that might make some more sense.

Their total cost of ownership is the sum of the depreciation(?), interest, fuel, maintenance, insurance, and taxes. First of all, plainly speaking it's the purchase price of the car not the depreciation that should be factored in with those other figures. Secondly, there's the "interest and opportunity costs," while I'm still trying to figure out what they mean by "opportunity costs," I have to honestly wonder how many people who can comfortably afford a $100K car would be financing it? While I'm sure some may do so I'd have to assume that a large percentage don't finance it.

That has a direct bearing on the insurance costs as well. Besides the fact that insurance rates very widely from state to state, that assumption of financing automatically assumes full coverage. If the car is owned outright then it *could* just have liability. Yes that would stupid not to have full coverage, but then again we're talking about people with enough money to afford one of these cars in the first place, which means if need be they can afford repairs to the car if in an accident. But that's a stretch, I know.

Then there's the taxes and fees... if they're assuming financing then do the interest costs account for the taxes? Because traditionally when cars are bought and financed within one's home state the taxes are rolled into the total financed price.

Fuel - subjective. How did they base their figures? And then the maintenance and repairs - again, any of those numbers don't make much sense. All of these cars have warranties, and some have scheduled maintenance included as well, so what is this money being spent on?

This entire piece is absolutely worthless and I'm surprised Forbes would even publish it. They provide nothing to back up or explain any of their claimed figures, and they don't even make sense when adding up their shoddy numbers. It's almost as if someone just pulled these numbers out of their butt just for the sake of sensationalism.

Believe me, I don't like German cars, I don't like most foreign cars for that matter, especially new one. I think they represent poor value for the money when compared against domestic makes. Yes domestics have high depreciation, but I personally don't take that into account because I usually run my cars into the ground anyway. But if they were going to bother writing this they could have at least put together realistic numbers and clearly explained how they came about them.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
^ This man is brilliant.

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
The numbers may seem bad but...

While I can't speak for the USA the £100,000 Mercades 600SL V12 can be bought for £12,000 on Ebay But It Now or Auto Trader so that's an 88% depreciation.
They are horrendously expensive to servcie and the electrics are not exactly reliable.

I suspect the numbers are probably not as far off as you might think...

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Yea but a 600SL is how old now, 15 years? (I think MB began using the letters in FRONT of the number nomenclature in 1994-5). £12000 for a 15 year old car is still damn good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts