Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would 10 guage wire be able to carry 30 amps tops? That's what the amp I just bought has for the fuse size, and 10 guage is the size of wire I have lying around. Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
270 Posts
10 gauge is rated for 15 amps max...but this is constant draw. Your amp only draws a fraction of this most of the time. So I would suggest using it and feeling if the wire is warm at all after a good hour of heavy load.
I've used 10 gauge with no problems with my basslink.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
According to my reference table, 10 gauge cable is good up to 60 amps.

I would be more concerned about RMA wattage and distance battery/amp. 10 gauge seems too thin for a cadillac's. It will work, sure, but the amp may not be feeded properly.

·
Registered
204 Posts
spare yourself the trouble and put a 4 gauge wire there. You know your going to upgrade and nothing worst then haveing to redo the job again. Installing foundation wire for your system is a hassle. Why not make it a one time job then a double work? I started out with one 4 channel for my interior but who knew in a year I would add a bass box with a DEI amp? But thankfully I used the 4 guage from the begining but only put in a 40 amp fuse for the 4 channel and then changed it to a 100amp fuse for my setup now( PS2,DVD,2 screens,4xamp and 1x amp). I am in the process of putting in a Computer in my car to replace my dvd and ps2. But one thing I am glad about is that I have all the rca wires and power wires in place so that I dont have to remove trim pieces to replace wire all over again which saves alot of time for a install.

Just think I started out with just 4 chan amp? you will upgrade

"Work Smarter & Not Harder!!!"

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm pretty sure I'm good to go. I'm running a 2-channel Orion, a Cobalt 702. 70 watts rms. It sounds absolutely wonderful, and the wire isn't warm at all after an hour of loud play. Big_Blue, I hope I'll be alright for a while! I'm a college student, and I got the amp off ebay. Plus, gotta save up for my 383 stroker! Thanks guys!

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts