Cadillac Owners Forum banner

$1 if you can figure this out.

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Kingoftypos 
#1 ·
I decided to replace the water filter in my refrigerator for the first time. Immediately, the water dispenser started dripping water at a slowly decreasing rate for about 24 hours.

Despite no apparent relation, as an experiment, I reinstalled the factory filter. Same thing happened; the dispenser dripped water at a decreasing rate for about a day. I then installed another new filter; same thing. I removed the filter and went without a filter for a day. Same thing happened; the water dispenser dripped at a decreasing rate for about a day. So, I reinstalled the original replacement filter and once the dispenser stopped dripping after about a day, it hasn't dripped once in the week since.

So, the filter (or lack of one) doesn't appear to be a factor, but removing or replacing a filter is a factor. I don't see any way that could have any effect on a dispenser that is down stream, and certainly not an effect that lasts for about a day.

On the highly unlikely event a Samsung engineer or tech is reading this, its a model RF263BEAESR.

#3 · (Edited)
Try running about a gal or so of water out after the install of the new filter to get all the AIR out of the line.
Thanks. I did that but do you think air in the line could cause a slow drip?

I guess if air expanded from heat it could overpower a seal but any air would be cooling, not heating or are you thinking a vacuum from cooling air could suck a seal open? Either way, everything would have to be temp stabilized long before a day.

And FWIW, I'm not trying to fix anything just trying to understand what is happening. I have no problem putting a cloth in the dispenser tray to collect the drips for a day after changing filters. The total amount doesn't exceed that. But if this is a "problem", I'll call in the warranty Calvary.

#6 ·
My SIL use to work at a Sears call center and was a common call after a filter change.
Sounds like its nothing that needs attention. Would still like to figure out the "why".

I've been thru several refrigerators with filters. This is the first one that did this, including the Samsung this one replaced. What makes it seem even weirder is that all the previous ones had the filter above the water/ice dispenser while this one has it well below them. Previous had vertical filters at the top back of the refrigerator. This one is a French door with the filter horizontal at the very bottom of the refrigerator section.

#8 ·
Heh, heh....... Never had a drippy cold water dispenser. Our pretty basic Kenmore (Frigidaire) has the horizontal twist-lock cartridge filter in the bottom air grille under the door. The water dispenser valve makes a significant "clunk" when you pull the glass away from the trigger pad. The ice maker also makes a noticeable "clunk" when the refill solenoid trips off. Due for a filter change on/about 1 October.

A step-daughter in Norfolk has had your drip problem with the door mounted cold water dispensers in two different brands of side-by-side refrigerator/freezer units. Magic.

#9 ·
The valve in one of our toilets began to slowly run water, and not shut off after flushing it. I turned on the water in the tub, it was enough to reduce the pressure and allow the toilet to stop running. I turned the toilet valve an 1/8-1/4 turn and it has been fine since.

#11 ·
Many years ago I installed a whole house filter. Whenever I would replace the filter, it would be super hard to loosen the housing. And after replacing the filter and installing the housing. It would drip for a bit.

After several replacements, I “discovered” this red button on the top. Apparently when I pressed it, it released some pressure and all of sudden the removal of the housing became super easy. And also no more drips after installing the new filter and housing.

Other than saying it’s because of pressure, I can not explain it.

So my question is for you, is there a pressure release button some where? Will that help alleviate the drips?

KOT

#12 ·
The procedure was to shut off the water going into the refrigerator, releasing any pressure by dispensing water, removing the prior filter, installing new filter, turning water back on, dispensing water to clear air in the line and what was in the new filter.

So, the second step is the equivalent of the red button you had.

I don't think the filter itself is a factor since the drip still happened for about a day if I didn't install a new filter at all. Filter is optional and water dispenser and ice maker work without any installed. The presence of a filter must divert water thru it.

#14 ·
I wonder if you were to turn the water off. Relief the pressure as you’re suppose to. But that’s it, don’t remove the filter housing or whatever. After a few minutes turn the water back on. Does it drip?
Turning the water off is not simple. The refrigerator has to be moved 5 feet to gain access to the shut-off. When it dripped with the first filter install, I left it there until any problem was resolved. It's been moved back and will stay there until the next filter. Will try that then but don't think it would do anything. Remember, even after turning off the water, the pressure remains in the sealed system. That's why you have to relieve that pressure by opening the water dispenser. Simply turning water on and off would have little if any effect on the pressure in the refrigerator or line to it and of course no air could be introduced either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.