Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
cts
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week some dumb-nuts reversed into my 05 cts and broke the drivers side headlamp screen (he left me some pieces of his car to remember him by). So i ordered me a new assembly, God only knows why I should have to order a whole assembly compared to just buying the screen. So I started taking the car apart, i really just jump in like always and figured it out as i went. So to skip all the boring details, I got SO stuck on the two bolts that are holding the fender to the body of the car, Im not too sure how to explain it, so instead ill post a pic, its nut 2 and 3. Every manual i read to take off the fender said to loosen the nuts, but when i do that they just keep on spinning, the nut is seized to the screw I believe. Dose anyone know of a neat little trick to take the nuts off? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bumperremoval/7.jpg

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
they arent suppose to come off, loosen them then slide the bumper forwards. the other end of the screw those nuts are on has a flat head that slides into a slot.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,858 Posts
Yup, the "nuts" 2 and 3 are there to squeeze the bolt onto a plate that is not pictured, yet. The 1 bolt is to come out all the way. So once you get that bolt, 1, out and the nuts loosen, 2 & 3, then just tap the bumper forward with your hand.

What I would do, if by myself as I always was when I removed the bumper. Is to remove the rubber piece that sits on top of the radiator and remove all the plastic clips. Then take two screw drivers and place one on each outer hole of the plastic clips you just took out. Then tap the bumper forward to get the 2 and 3 nuts' plates removed from the car. Once both sides are removed, then slowly take the screw drivers out as you are remove the bumper onto the ground in a fluid motion.

KOT

·
Registered
cts
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm very interesting, im going to try that. But what i think my problem is is that the nuts just spin, there seized to the screw, so it turns all at once. Gona try a few things and ill be back to report my efforts XD. Thanks again guys, i really appreciated the fact that you take the time to write these helpful replys, i sometimes find it irritating just to type my responses, ill make it an effort to change that :D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
if they are loose enough to spin it may also be loose enough to allow the bumper to slide off

·
Registered
cts
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ZOMG it worked, Wow thanks for the help guys. Ya the nuts were still seized but i got it all together. THanks again :D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
they arent seized, they just arent suppose to come off. but good everything worked out for you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts