Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i own a 99 STS w'90k miles. The rear shocks and compressor are out. Waranty covered the compressor but not shocks. Cadillac is charging me $1735 for parts & labor! WTF! Is there any cheaper way out of it.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Re: $1,735!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Yes, the passive replacements from Arnott Industries, Boston Suspension or Strutmasters. I think all three of those companies sell kits for the late model STS.
And what kind of cheap warranty did you get that doesn't cover shocks and struts! :bonkers:

·
Registered
31 Posts

I could be mistaken, but shock anad struts are usually a "wear & tear" item and thus are excluded form most coverage at 90,000 miles.

I think I would go with the retrofit type option instead of the factory replacements for that price.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

csbacchus said:
I could be mistaken, but shock anad struts are usually a "wear & tear" item and thus are excluded form most coverage at 90,000 miles.

I think I would go with the retrofit type option instead of the factory replacements for that price.
CORRECT!

IIRC even the GMPP excludes shock, struts and brakes...

·
Registered
3,531 Posts

There is a current thread on GM passive struts and shocks. Read it for more info and another option.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts

csbacchus said:
I could be mistaken, but shock anad struts are usually a "wear & tear" item and thus are excluded form most coverage at 90,000 miles. QUOTE]

The warranty I have on my STS covers "wear and tear" items, including the shocks and struts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

thank you guys. i will be looking into these aftermarket options. Hopefully there not as harsh on the wallet as Cadillac.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

1998-2000 Seville: This kit is for a set of 2 rear self adjusting rear air shocks new mounting hardware, instructions and electronics to suppress the service ride control message.
$275.00

is this the best option?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts

We used Boston struts and weren't thrilled with them, but there are people very happy with them.

Did you check GMpartsdirect.com?

·
Registered
298 Posts

mgr3614 said:
ok i own a 99 STS w'90k miles. The rear shocks and compressor are out. Waranty covered the compressor but not shocks. Cadillac is charging me $1735 for parts & labor! WTF! Is there any cheaper way out of it.
Your keister hurts after a Caddy repair? Welcome to Caddy World.

·
Registered
878 Posts

If the rear shocks put a hurt to you, you really ain'ta gonna like what happens when the FRONT struts start acting up!

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
161 Posts

For passive replacement, the aftermarket options seem to consist of Strutmasters, Arnott Industries, or Boston Suspension. Each claims to bypass the ride control system's safe mode (90 mph limiter). Not wanting to seem biased, I'd suggest you run a thread search on these individually and develop your own opinion before purchasing. It seems that some folks haven't had the best luck there. Entire kits seem to be in the $400-$600 range for all four corners. Obviously you'd need to pay for installation if you arent a do-it-yourslf type. I'd guess that would set you back $200 - $300 at a suspension shop.

Other passive options are available for less money, but you'll need to trick the ride control computer to avoid RSS codes. Krashed has a clever idea whereby he recommends carefully removing the damping valves from the top of the original struts/shocks, bagging them off and tying them out of the way to avoid codes. He says this is working for him.

If you want to stay factory, buy the shocks from GM parts direct and save some $$$. Two rear OEM air shocks (GM part #s 22064872 and 22064873) should set you back about $432 each with shipping/handling. Any suspension shop should be able to install these for well under $100 - it's about a 60 minute job - max - with shop facilities and air tools.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

The warranty I have on my STS covers "wear and tear" items, including the shocks and struts.
Does this include your tires too?? Never heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
878 Posts

A few months back I put the Boston Suspension struts on the front of mine. I went the extra $50 for the "Luxury Ride" struts at $325/pair. No complaints, and no DIC messages.

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Im a do it yourself type of guy. o think the best bang for the buck is the Boston route. Im not expecting the GM feel but i think i will go ahead and pass on it if it cost so much. It also wouldnt make to much sense to drop so much $$$$ on my ride if the value of it is droping rapidly. You guys have been allot of help. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Just FYI, you could keep $750 of that $1,735 by buying the struts from someone like GMPartsDirect and doing the work yourself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts