Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Coupe deville
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i fianlly got the coupe deville out to the track. i had a blast but got beat every race. but i was just out there to have some fun:cool2:
my best time was [email protected] MPH with a .825 R/T that was my first run of the night too. i couldn't ever really get my E/T's any quicker but by the end of the night i was cutting good lights i got my R/T down to .247. anyway i was just wondering waht other people's 1/4 mile tims are. i have a 1978 coupe deville with a 425 and 140K on the clock

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I am not sure if you know or not... but the RT has nothing at all to do with 1/4 ET.... and the reason why it is so high, is because you probably wait until you see the green light to go... the green light is *not* go, "go" is the last yellow light :)

'78 Coupe, 140k miles... all stock? you ran a [email protected]

Not too bad... my '79 Sedan, 90k miles, all stock except for 14" Edelbrock open element air filter (whoop de doo) ran a [email protected]

my race weight was about 4,700lbs or so. IIRC the track elevation was 1,100ft.

I am going to be putting on a modified 472 intake manifold and rebuilt carburator (it is already modified, just not on), then race it again. It needs a shift kit as it takes about a second to shift from 1-2... well, maybe not a whole second, but it is way too soft, even under WOT.

But most of all, the 2.28 gears do absolutly nothing for performance on the car, that is the ultimate thing holding the car back... we'll have to see though.

I'd say, considering the age, mileage, and million ther factors, our times are damn close and accurate :)

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
wow thats not bad, i read that a '75 Coupe Deville will run a 17.6 at 78 Mph, same exact time for a '75 Eldorado Hardtop. I got these out of a 1975 Issue of Motor Trend and a 1975 Issue of Road Test Magazine.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
The 75 is a completely differant animal though with an extra 75ci and nearly 1000lbs.

Rick, don't you have a gutted cat too?

·
Registered
1978 Coupe deville
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i know exactly what the r/t time is and that it has nothing to do with the e/t i'm just saying that i kept on cutting better lights i would think that my et's would get a little better. with the lesser amount of weight of fuel and what not. but any ways yeah i had a ton of fun. i'm going back out tomorrow nite too.

but yeah my car is all bone stock the only thing i can possibly think of that could have been to my advantage is that i flipped the air cleaner lin upside down, was running 93 octane(which w/o the compression to really take advantage of the octane that prolly had little to no effect) and it's kinda a staright header exhaust lol. but thats becasue the pipe right after my cat is all rusted out and the only thing holding the back of the exhaust on are the 2 clamping bolts on the back of the cat. but other than that the most that engine has ever been opened up is the passenger side valve cover gasket was replacecd. i raced in in drive too i didn't manually shift it or anything. mainly because i was out there just to have fun and honestly i don't think it would have made a diffrence

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
well yeah i know the 1975 is about 900 lbs heavier, but i just thought it was interesting to see how similiar they are in acceleration.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
davesdeville said:
The 75 is a completely differant animal though with an extra 75ci and nearly 1000lbs.

Rick, don't you have a gutted cat too?
yeah.... I forgot... does it count? lol

I simply pulled the drain plug, drained the beads.... drove aorund like that for months, then when I brought it to get an inspection, the guy thru a factory replacement plug on it for $5, I was happy, as the droning sound was annoying... the whole cat was smashed with a hammer.... very obvious he goes "yeah, sometimes those plugs fall out, then beads come out the bottom when you are driving, and it pretty much makes the cat. conv. useless" <---- ooo... woudln't want that to be the case :)

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
bryan1970 said:
yeah i know exactly what the r/t time is and that it has nothing to do with the e/t i'm just saying that i kept on cutting better lights i would think that my et's would get a little better. with the lesser amount of weight of fuel and what not. but any ways yeah i had a ton of fun. i'm going back out tomorrow nite too.

but yeah my car is all bone stock the only thing i can possibly think of that could have been to my advantage is that i flipped the air cleaner lin upside down, was running 93 octane(which w/o the compression to really take advantage of the octane that prolly had little to no effect) and it's kinda a staright header exhaust lol. but thats becasue the pipe right after my cat is all rusted out and the only thing holding the back of the exhaust on are the 2 clamping bolts on the back of the cat. but other than that the most that engine has ever been opened up is the passenger side valve cover gasket was replacecd. i raced in in drive too i didn't manually shift it or anything. mainly because i was out there just to have fun and honestly i don't think it would have made a diffrence
lol, the old air cleaner trick... except on this car, it dosn't make a difference... for $30 you can get an Edelborck open element air filter, then you need 1.5" of air cleaner spacers, and a new threaded rod thingy, and it will be nice.

I used to run 93.... but there is no reason, with 8.2:1 compression, I now run 87 and under my most extreme driving, there is never a single ping... plus, 87 is supposed to be more easy to burn, thus more potential power, so its all good.

rigged up stright pipes eh? I bet it sounds pretty nice :)

I didn't manually shift either, I simple put it in the right drive instead of left, I thought it shifted a little firmer, the timeslip said otherwise :) I also hav a tachometer in my car so I know exactly what RPM it is at.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
I still consider the stock cool air intake system to be better than a big open element that sucks hot under-hood air. And a gutted cat definately made a differance according to my ass-dyno so I'd think it would make a differance at the track as well. I should find that out for sure when I get around to taking my 75 to the track, it still has the stock cat and I should be able to drain and maybe patch it on-site after a couple runs (and a cooldown period obviously) then make a couple more runs to check the improvement.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
nah, the stock air cleaner is rather restrictive, it gets really narrow.

Another thing I really didn't like, the filter only got dirty on 1 section, so you had to rotate it often, which also means most of the filter isn't being used (for the most part)

With the 360* filter, it allows alot more air to come in, and from what I can tell, the huge mechanical fan kinda creates a ram air effect at higher RPM's

A dual snorkel setup would be best, but you have to get crafty for that... plus I like the look of the open element air filter, alot omre cleaner under the hood, and it sounds cool :)

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
My best time with a real P.O.S. '76 CDV was 16.4. This was back in 1987 or so. The car was completely stock except for advanced timing and the carbonator cold secondary lockout tang removed. I raced another '76 CDV which was in nice shape. The guy had a posi 3.15 which he had taken from a limo, a cool can and some Accel H.E.I, adaptor gizmo. He ran a 16.01 or something else close to 16 flat. Got me off the line while my one tire spun for a bit. I was catching up with him towards the end but ran out of 1320. The announcer in the booth at Englishtown had a blast talking about a landyaght race.
This car was weighed right after the run 5075 Lbs without me in it.
Plug this into the old Petersen Publishing weight/horsepower calculator and it spit out a figure of something like 235 rear wheel horsepower.
The magazine review times seem to be all over the place as far as numbers go.

·
Registered
1978 Coupe deville
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow yeah went back out to the track last nite and had even more fun!! i improved my best time to [email protected] with a .037 R/T. i went from a 17.82 to a 17.65 by just taking the spare out of the trunk!!! i was cutting some really good lights last nite too. by all time best R/T was .003. not too shabby. that race i actually beat an S2000 at the 60' mark. however after i parked the car for the nite i realized that if i would have just left it in L2 instead of drive i prolly would have picked up a little time. because it would shift into high gear like right before or as i past the traps. and the shift from 2 to 3 just kills the car. so i think if i get the chance to race it again i'll try doing that and see what the outcome is. next week i'm gonna race my camaro though so it'll be a bit before i get back out there with the caddy. i did get some really good video of the caddy doing a burn out and a video of me running the 17.65 time. this week i actually had quite a few fans of the caddy racing. it was pretty cool:cool2:

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Wow, I was going to take the '79 tonight, but the intake manifold isn't on it... so I took the '93... my 4th time racing that car (4th time bringing it)

Those are some damn good RT's!

Wow, since you removed the tire (min was also on the 17.5 run) our times are even more close.... it seems like our cars are damn near equal, despite all the extra miles on yours and stuff.... now thats gotta say something about how well these cars were made :)

S2000, I believe it, they redline at like 9,000RPM and don't start making power until 6,500RPM... not a cool car, IMO. Witht he massive torque from the BB Cad, even with crapy gears, it is no wonder it pulls better from a stop.

You said you got some video? I have my own website and would love to host it if you need to, just let me know :)

·
Registered
1978 Coupe deville
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey i'd love to share my video!! how would i go about getting it to you? i have a video of my 17.6 run and another of a 17.7 run with a killer burnout on it. the best is to see the guys running the bleach box slowly turn thier heads to watch my burn out instead of the 1972 camaro burn out that ran in the 13's LOL:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts