Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS V and DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New 09 DTS Perf.
Has a trans wine at slow speeds with minimal throttle. ie.. touch the gas (no acceleration just touching the gas)..it whines...off the gas it does not....all at 20 mph

Fluid is up....car is NEW
Dealer says its a motor noise.( and it is normal) I can't even hear motor at that rpm in the car....sounds like transmission to me..........anybody else????

I have not had a northstar FWD for a while..

Thanks
:annoyed:

·
Registered
2017 MB C300 Cabriolet, 2019 Volvo V90CC
889 Posts
Yup. My '08 Performance had it too. Kind of like a 1st gear manual transmission whine, but only at low, steady speed, like approaching an intersection. Not there on normal acceleration. Definitely not an engine noise. Never complained to the dealer about it. Have to say I don't hear it anymore. Not sure if it just went away or I got use to it or my hearing has deteriorated that much in a year. Sorry can't offer any solutions.....

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Have dealer check trans fluid level. I had a Buick make some funny noises. Trans fluid level was low.

Longshot, but....

·
Registered
2009 CTS V and DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response...maybe mine will go away too once the trans breaks in, or I start using the Bose... sounds like we had the same noise.

Fluid is up..

Thanks again

JD

·
Registered
Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II
176 Posts
I have an '06 Lux II making identical noise. I posted another thread on this a month or so ago and there were others experiencing this. I have not discussed with my dealer yet. It currently has 27K miles as of now, and it has been doing it for at least 10K miles.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
3 Posts
I purchased a 2008 DTS in Aug 31, 08. A week or so after the purchase I noticed a noisier than normal coming from the engine compartment. Then, coming home in a residential area between 25 and 30 mph there was a whining coming from the engine compartment. I took it in to the dealer and a mechanic thought it was an intake manifold, a number of tests were done and all were within tolerances. We drove a 2009 DTS and it had the same whining noise and I was told that it was 'NORMAL????' I took the car to another dealership and the mechanic there thought it was in the 'end transmission'. We drove another DTS and it has the same noise. They weren't sure as to what caused the problem, that it could be 'NORMAL'.I couldn't leave the car so it wasn't written up. The whining is very annoying which I have told the customer service representative in the original dealership. So, they're going to change some parts in the end transmission, hoping that it will eliminate the whining noise...No guarentees. wish me luck! Has any of you Cadillac owners ever bought a car, particularly a Cadillac with an inherent whining noise?.

·
Registered
2006 srx
40 Posts
Yup.. My 06 Nstar SRX has a ticking sound, not like injectors, more like loose lifters. Sound replicated on another 06. Service manager says all Nstars have it, but that it is only noticeable if you listen for it. Also, the tranny surges, like when at highway speeds, at the top of a hill or coming to a stop. Again, "This is normal for an SRX."

·
Registered
2008 DTS
3 Posts
Was your auto problem diagnosed by a mechanic?, Was another similar auto driven with the same noise? I'm sure you've read 'LEE Tong, 5-29-09'. So far, the dealership has kept telling me it's NORMAL NOISE'. I am still annoyed with the whining noise and will continue working with Cadillac until they resolve this problem.

·
Registered
2009 CTS V and DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The more I hear my noise, the more I believe that it is the torque converter.
Dealer sucks...

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Curious.....how can you differentiate the noise from the torque converter vs the rest of the transmission?

·
Registered
2009 CTS AWD DI 2014 AWD CTS DI
640 Posts
I ahve no idea but the last post reminded me of a comment made by a transmission shop owner when I had my DHS fluid changed. He remarked on how many brand new torque converters he had seen that had problems.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II
176 Posts
I hate this freakin' whine! And my '06 does not have a 100K powertrain warranty like everything from '07 forward (although I will likely buy one when I get closer to 4 years or 50K miles)). Has anyone gotten a dealer or GM to acknowledge that this whine is not normal? Or ought not be, anyway.:annoyed:

·
Registered
Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II
176 Posts
Have also discovered that you can duplicate this trans. whine in reverse gear. I get the same whine when backing out of my driveway which has a slight incline.

·
Registered
2009 CTS V and DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
14K and still there, No changes, same pitch, same time. who knows??

just an update.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
14K and still there, No changes, same pitch, same time. who knows??

just an update.

I have an '06 Performance with almost 80,000 miles.
I haven't noticed a whine in mine...but I usually have the radio on.
I will be driving it tomorrow...I will see if it does it and report back.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2009 CTS V and DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My dealer will not come clean. The noise is still same as it was when new, car now has 20K on it. Just waiting for it to break i guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts