Cadillac Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1 Posts
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I have a 2008 DTS here in Staten Island, NY and wanted to order the NavDisc update but apparently they are sold out and for some reason do not know when it will be available again.

I read this thread and it appears that they are also available on Ebay at a substantially lower price (even better). However, the NavDisc website is still showing that the replacement part # is 25974486 while the prior posts indicate I should be searching Ebay for part number 20857425U Version 4.1C. Is that right?

The navigation system in general is not as good as my old Garmin Nuvi (which I still keep in the car) but it is good enough most of the time.

The real issue with it is the lockout while the car is in motion. I've complained to GM that the lockout should be determined by the driver or at a minimum disabled if there is a front seat passenger (the airbag system engages - so the car "knows"). I guess its ok to fiddle with the AC, cruise control, XM radio and all the other gadgets & gizmos while driving but not the nav system.

My wife's Lexus is exactly the same - so I guess its standard throughout the industry. I know there are modules available to disengage it - but its the principle.

In any case (sorry for the slight venting), confirmation of the correct part number would be appreciated and I hope to contribute more to the forum in the future. I'll let you know if my Ebay purchase is successful.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I have a 2008 DTS here in Staten Island, NY and wanted to order the NavDisc update but apparently they are sold out and for some reason do not know when it will be available again.

I read this thread and it appears that they are also available on Ebay at a substantially lower price (even better). However, the NavDisc website is still showing that the replacement part # is 25974486 while the prior posts indicate I should be searching Ebay for part number 20857425U Version 4.1C. Is that right?

In any case (sorry for the slight venting), confirmation of the correct part number would be appreciated and I hope to contribute more to the forum in the future. I'll let you know if my Ebay purchase is successful.

Welcome to the forum.
Glad to have a new member.

You read correctly about the part number.
The NAVDISK website is wrong and has been for the last year. :) :) :)

The correct part number is...20857425U Version 4.1C
It works and has some pretty neat features the previous one didn't have.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 Titanium DTS
2 Posts
Do I understand correctly that the digital clock will also display while not using the Nav system? I have 2006 DTS Lux III, and no digital clock.
Many thanks for any reply,
Pappy

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Do I understand correctly that the digital clock will also display while not using the Nav system? I have 2006 DTS Lux III, and no digital clock.
Many thanks for any reply,
Pappy

Pappy,

You are correct... assuming that you upgrade to the new nav disk. :) :)

The digital clock will display in the upper right hand corner...whenever either the NAV or the radio/CD player is on.
Even if you push the volume button and turn the system completely "OFF"... the clock still displays.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 Titanium DTS
2 Posts
Outstanding Jim, thanks for the reply. Now I have to figure out how to drop the little overhead console for minor repair. I apparently pushed too hard on the garage door opener button and all three (connected) buttons pushed slightly through the plastic cover. Still works but I suppose I broke some plastic snaps on the back side of the panel. Going to Google for the part number diagram to figure out where the release clips are to lower the console. Superglue or hot glue will fix it I'm sure.

Thanks again for your help, I will definitely order the DVD upgrade.
Pappy

·
Registered
STS
1 Posts
Thought I would post being I am a new member.

Purchased a 2003 DTS "Black Raven" with 66,000 miles.

My current nav disk is V 1.10 :eek:

So..being I have an older Bose system can I upgrade the disk to version 4.1C without any problems?
When does the 2010 disk come out?

Could someone post a link to the code page for engine management and how to access it? Been searching but cannot find it.

Need to learn all the little tricks to diagnose this ride.

Nice to meet you all. I'm sure I will be asking more questions.
I've been driving a 1983 Volvo 242 for the last 20 years..it's nice to finally be in some luxury. (although my customized Volvo kicks the pants off this DTS) :)

Hey. Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 DTS lUX111
10 Posts
Jim,
Great information on the Nav. CD'S-The current version 2010 GM Number is 20861673.They do sell on ebay for $179-$189,but you can make an offer for less and probably save more over the GM cost of 199.00 plus shipping.Have a great day-Here in Alabama:cool2::cool2:

·
Registered
2006 DTS
42 Posts
Hey guys. I"m new to to this forum, but a long-term Caddy driver. In fact, this is my 6th consecutive Cadillac: 92 Sedan, 92/94/97/2003 SLS, and now an 06 DTS (don't like the new STS so I'm back to the big Caddy) . In terms of the navigation system...I just upgraded my nav to the later disk, 4.1. Loaded fine with no problems. Bought it on Ebay for $85 (including shipping) so don't get ripped by Cadillac for $200.

I have to admit that the system is not as accurate as my cheapie Garmin or Onstar. I've noticed that a lot of users report that the nav system location is not accurate. I can verify that...my original disk and the new one have the identical problem: Shows a street number on my street that doesn't even exist...and shows my home address a few hundred feet away from where it actually is.

This isn't a really huge problem, but I would think the system would be at least as good as a $200 handheld unit.

Anyone ever find a solution to this one? Is the GPS system and the nav unit not calibrated properly, and can anything be done about it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Ken.

·
Registered
Cadillac 07 DTS II Green Silk
50 Posts
Welcome to form Ken
I bought my 2007 DTS II Jan 2010 Had Nav Disk 15931508 2.00 Now have 20861673 5.00.

other members will help you.
Duane

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Hey guys. I"m new to to this forum, but a long-term Caddy driver. In fact, this is my 6th consecutive Cadillac: 92 Sedan, 92/94/97/2003 SLS, and now an 06 DTS (don't like the new STS so I'm back to the big Caddy) . In terms of the navigation system...I just upgraded my nav to the later disk, 4.1. Loaded fine with no problems. Bought it on Ebay for $85 (including shipping) so don't get ripped by Cadillac for $200.

I have to admit that the system is not as accurate as my cheapie Garmin or Onstar. I've noticed that a lot of users report that the nav system location is not accurate. I can verify that...my original disk and the new one have the identical problem: Shows a street number on my street that doesn't even exist...and shows my home address a few hundred feet away from where it actually is.

This isn't a really huge problem, but I would think the system would be at least as good as a $200 handheld unit.

Anyone ever find a solution to this one? Is the GPS system and the nav unit not calibrated properly, and can anything be done about it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Ken.

Welcome to the DTS Forum.
Glad to have you.

As for the Nav unit...The calibration is probably fine.
I don't think that anything can be done about it.
The database is not the most up to date one in the world.
I have just learned to live with it.

Mine shows my house as being 2 houses further down the street than it really is. :cool2: :cool2:
So... what I did, was park in my driveway and set it as "HOME"
That way...where ever I am... it knows where I want to go and can then get me from "THERE" to "HERE"

I take a lot of long road trips, and sometimes I just want to know how far I am from home... I can just tell it to go home... and the route and mileage from home pop up on the screen.

99 percent of the time..mine takes me right to where I want to go.
The other 1 percent of the time, it gets me close enough that I can find it.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 DTS
42 Posts
I actually called Cadillac customer service and complained about the accuracy. Believe it or not, they actually called me back tonight and stated that they were going to look into it and get back to me. If that happens, I'll pass out.

At any rate, if enough of us complain about the problem, maybe they will fix it.

I haven't really used the system yet...only played with it in the neighborhood. I must admit that I'm going to need some time to get used to the new maps...pretty cluttered in my opinion...but then I'm used to the Garmin.

If Caddy really calls me back with any fixes or suggestions, I'll certainly pass them along.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)
272 Posts
The current version 2010 GM Number is 20861673.They do sell on ebay for $179-$189,but you can make an offer for less and probably save more over the GM cost of 199.00 plus shipping.
I've just bought a 20861673 off of ebay for $119.00. It should be here in a week or so and I'll update y'all on the differences I see between version 5.0 and my current 4.1C.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I've just bought a 20861673 off of ebay for $119.00. It should be here in a week or so and I'll update y'all on the differences I see between version 5.0 and my current 4.1C.

That would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
DTS
112 Posts
I got my 07 DTS last week. Has an old Nav disk in it. 2.0 I think?
I Just called the GM nav center, gave my Vin #, and without another word, they are shipping my a 2010 disk compt. Now that's a nice welcome! :)

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I Just called the GM nav center, gave my Vin #, and without another word, they are shipping my a 2010 disk compt. Now that's a nice welcome! :)

VERY GOOD.

Glad to hear that.

:welcome:
Oh...and welcome to the forum.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
Cadillac 07 DTS II Green Silk
50 Posts
Welcome to form
I purchasd my DTS II Green Silk Jan 10 2010 and I also was able to get free 5.0 disk.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
42 Posts
Much to my amazement, I got a call from Cadillac customer service today regarding my complaint about the accuracy of the nav system. They (the nav team) stated that the GPS and nav systems are in fact calibrated with each other and that my dealer can recalibrate the systems to improve the accuracy. May have been a dream story to get me to close the complaint, but I'm going to contact the dealer and see what they say. It will probably be a week or so before I take it in, but I'll pass along what happens.

On a second, minor problem with the headlight assembly. I notice that the interior shield above the driving lights is actually "melting". The passenger side has melted thru and the driver's side is doing the same, although not as bad. I seem to remember reading something on this forum about this problem, but now I can't find it. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks for any input.

Ken.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Dealers recalibrating the Nav system? Dream on. They will probably give you that "What kind of lunacy is this?" just before telling you that they don't what you are talking about. Or, they might say OK and then take your car and return it without having done anything. Anything to keep the customer happy, you know.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
42 Posts
Incredibly the dealer readily admitted that there IS a set procedure to manually recalibrate the nav system to the GPS. I haven't taken it in yet, but I'll let you know what happens. Since my system announces that I've arrived at my destination approximately .2 miles before I get there, recalibration, or something, is definitely in order. Other than not knowing exactly where the car is relative to the final destination, it works as advertized.

·
Registered
DTS
112 Posts
I loaded the 5.0 today and the only difference I see from the old one I had is the digital clock. When I picked my car up from service today, I told them I had a new disk for the nav. I was told...You saved 400 bux getting it.
Huh? No one behind the counter could answer why. Anywho, i will live with it as is. I am afraid the dealer will throw a hissy if asked to recalibrate.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts