Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I do not leave the disc in unless I am going to use the NAV system as there is a lot of disc head activity going on even when not in use causing unnecessary wear.

If I have the system on, stop, turn off the engine, remove the key, and open the door there is still disc activity. Also, leaving it in during hot weather while parked out side in the sun can cause warping of the disc.

Thanks again.

This is just my opinion and experience...
I am NOT advising or trying to tell anyone else what to do. :stirpot: :stirpot:

I have had a disk in my nav system since day 1.
Been well over three years now.
I am in Texas where summer temps are well over 100 degrees every day.
I have never had an issue with warping or excessive wear. At least not yet.
I did notice, a few weeks ago, when I FINALLY got V4 and removed V 3, the DVD was pretty dusty. I will be taking it out every few months but just to clean it.

I would be a lot more worried about it getting damaged or scratched with the constant removal and reinsertion of the disk.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)
272 Posts
Incidentally, I bought my 4.1 disc from an ebay seller in Texas named magaly_littlesteps. This transaction has not gone smoothly at all. I've been on ebay for over ten years and made well over 100 transactions in that time. This one is a candidate for the worst. Four days after paying and then agreeing in good faith to pay even more than originally requested for shipping - plus several e-mail exchanges - I still don't have a tracking number that the USPS website recognizes.

I remain hopeful that things will work out, but in the meantime would like to caution other members to steer clear of this seller until I can confirm a positive conclusion to my purchase.
Just a quick update on this one...

I received the correct tracking number this morning and this ebay transaction now looks like it's back on track.

I'll update y'all again once I've received the 4.1 disc and had a chance to test it out.

F

·
0 Posts
This is just my opinion and experience...
I am NOT advising or trying to tell anyone else what to do. :stirpot: :stirpot:

I have had a disk in my nav system since day 1.
Been well over three years now.
I am in Texas where summer temps are well over 100 degrees every day.
I have never had an issue with warping or excessive wear. At least not yet.
I did notice, a few weeks ago, when I FINALLY got V4 and removed V 3, the DVD was pretty dusty. I will be taking it out every few months but just to clean it.

I would be a lot more worried about it getting damaged or scratched with the constant removal and reinsertion of the disk.

Texas Jim
Hey Jim,

My main concern with leaving the disc in is that the system continues to run (disc access) after the car has been turned off and lockedup. I am not sure for how long it continues; maybe it shuts completely off after it finds what it is looking for. This may have been part of the problem with those folks experiencing battery drain. The excessive wear I referred to was for the head, not the disc.

When I purchased the car the salesman did say to leave it in. Another reason that I take it out is that it is a DVD and with DVD movies it is recommended that they be stored in their case, not the DVD player. Minor scratches on a DVD will not normally affect playback as long as the read head is clean, they are very durable.

I don’t know if they make a head cleaner for the NAV system, but the one I have for cleaning my DVD player’s head cannot be used in the NAV system. With the dust that you mentioned, you may want to check this out. I haven’t noticed dust on mine, but then I only use it if I am going on a trip.

Other than a few minor quirks I really like the car and the performance.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just a quick update on this one...

I received the correct tracking number this morning and this ebay transaction now looks like it's back on track.

I'll update y'all again once I've received the 4.1 disc and had a chance to test it out.
This evening I received the disc. It's labeled as version 4.1c p/n 20857425. It took about five minutes to load the new software into my head unit. I've just been able to play with it in my garage, and noticed that the map has thankfully been updated for my neighborhood. I'll let you know about anything else significant that I notice after I take it on the road.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey Jim,

My main concern with leaving the disc in is that the system continues to run (disc access) after the car has been turned off and lockedup. I am not sure for how long it continues; maybe it shuts completely off after it finds what it is looking for. This may have been part of the problem with those folks experiencing battery drain. The excessive wear I referred to was for the head, not the disc.

When I purchased the car the salesman did say to leave it in. Another reason that I take it out is that it is a DVD and with DVD movies it is recommended that they be stored in their case, not the DVD player. Minor scratches on a DVD will not normally affect playback as long as the read head is clean, they are very durable.

I don’t know if they make a head cleaner for the NAV system, but the one I have for cleaning my DVD player’s head cannot be used in the NAV system. With the dust that you mentioned, you may want to check this out. I haven’t noticed dust on mine, but then I only use it if I am going on a trip.

Other than a few minor quirks I really like the car and the performance.

Best of luck.

I understand your concern for the disk and especially the head wear of the nav unit itself. (I am in the computer business)
The DVD disk is not cheap if it needed to be replaced. The head unit would be an even bigger expense, which I also understand.

But I just kinda figured it was DESIGNED for the disk to always be in there so that it is available ANYTIME you want to use it. :stirpot: :)
I like mine always in, so all I have to do is hit the NAV button...anytime I want to...and THERE IT IS. :)

But that is why there is an EJECT button...so that we each can use it the way we see fit. :) :)

As for it running after the key is off...after 10 minutes, the RETAINED ACCESSORY POWER cuts it off...along with everything else.
I too was concerned with it running after the car was shut off. I sat in the car one evening..just to see if and when it would turn off. :)

I don't know of a head cleaner for it and I would be careful of using one if I found one. Some of them are ABRASIVE and will actually CAUSE premature wear if used too often.

As far as the car itself...I really really like it. That is, except for the road noise.
I have over 60,000 on it and put over 40,000 on my other 2006 Performance Sedan.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
272 Posts
Okay, so I've driven around today using version 4.1. When compared to version 3.0 the first thing I notice is that it has much more accurate mapping for the parts of my city that were constructed in the last five years or so. The same thing goes for points of interest. There is also a change in the icon that labels my local highways. In one sense it's clearer - but in another sense it's less so.

The big change that will be of interest to you all is the clear identification of which of a series of turning lanes is the correct one to be in to continue onto your destination. This was first mentioned by Superjim and I must say that it is a worthy change to have if you are ever driving on one highway and making a change onto another intersecting highway, or taking off-ramps with multiple points of egress.

So far I've noticed no other changes, but the disc is worth the money to me.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Okay, so I've driven around today using version 4.1. When compared to version 3.0 the first thing I notice is that it has much more accurate mapping for the parts of my city that were constructed in the last five years or so. The same thing goes for points of interest. There is also a change in the icon that labels my local highways. In one sense it's clearer - but in another sense it's less so.

The big change that will be of interest to you all is the clear identification of which of a series of turning lanes is the correct one to be in to continue onto your destination. This was first mentioned by Superjim and I must say that it is a worthy change to have if you are ever driving on one highway and making a change onto another intersecting highway, or taking off-ramps with multiple points of egress.

So far I've noticed no other changes, but the disc is worth the money to me.

Tomko,

Thanks for the update on the new NAV disc.
Glad you got your difficulties worked out with the seller and that you like the new one.

Like you..I really like how it shows you what lane to be in when coming to an intersection.

We made a 3000 mile trip a couple of weeks ago. It came in real handy.

Texas jim

·
Registered
272 Posts
I spent all day Saturday driving around with version 4.1 and I must say that I'm completely satisfied with it. For me, coming from version 3.0, it was money well spent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just received my new disk and Iam very pleased, love the clock, but haven't figured out how to turn the annoying interstate exit box off. Any one than can help with how to turn it off I would really appreciate it as there were no instructions covering new features included in the booklet. Thanks

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just received my new disk and Iam very pleased, love the clock, but haven't figured out how to turn the annoying interstate exit box off. Any one than can help with how to turn it off I would really appreciate it as there were no instructions covering new features included in the booklet. Thanks
there is a LITTLE BITTY minus symbol there on the left side of the interstate exit box. Touch it and the box goes away.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS
35 Posts
Great, great, helpful info on the Nav discs. I called a courteous, helpful person at GM Nav, to get clarification on version 4.0 p/n 25974486 and 4.1 p/n 20857425.

She told me that 4.0 p/n 25974486 was the current and correct nav version for the DTS, 06-09. She couldn't even find the proper application for 4.1 p/n 20857425.

I also asked her if these discs were warrantied, and she said that they were only covered for 30-days. That's it. That's a really expensive piece of plastic...god forbid if something goes wrong.

I was thinking about making a backup. Anybody out there make a backup of the DVD?

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Great, great, helpful info on the Nav discs. I called a courteous, helpful person at GM Nav, to get clarification on version 4.0 p/n 25974486 and 4.1 p/n 20857425.

She told me that 4.0 p/n 25974486 was the current and correct nav version for the DTS, 06-09. She couldn't even find the proper application for 4.1 p/n 20857425.

I also asked her if these discs were warrantied, and she said that they were only covered for 30-days. That's it. That's a really expensive piece of plastic...god forbid if something goes wrong.

I was thinking about making a backup. Anybody out there make a backup of the DVD?

The lady you talked to is possibly misinformed.
But then again...maybe not...if she is just looking at the ordering info on the web site.

I just went to the web site and put my VIN in the search blank.
It shows that the current disk that I ordered back in NOVEMBER and that they sent me in APRIL...
Part number:..25974486

But that is not right...what they REALLY sent me was Part number:..20857425U

I just went to the garage and took my NAV disk out and am now holding it in my hand.
The part number is:..20857425U
It is Version 4.1C

As to making a backup...I have not tried that yet...but probably should.
I need to get some double layer DVD's first.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS
35 Posts
Received my 25974486 4.0c 2009 Nav disc yesterday and loaded it this morning. Yep, the clock is nice and useful.

I was able to buy it on Ebay for $81.99, a terrific deal. It wasn't described or catagorize well.

So far I don't notice much difference between this and my 06 nav disc, but will keep you updated. That said, it's nice to have the current disc for new streets,POI's, and supposedly better graphics.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Received my 25974486 4.0c 2009 Nav disc yesterday and loaded it this morning. Yep, the clock is nice and useful.

I was able to buy it on Ebay for $81.99, a terrific deal. It wasn't described or catagorize well.

So far I don't notice much difference between this and my 06 nav disc, but will keep you updated. That said, it's nice to have the current disc for new streets,POI's, and supposedly better graphics.

Glad you for your new disc and had no trouble loading it.

Just wait till you are using it on a route in an unfamiliar area and you come to a freeway intersection... it shows you WHAT LANE you need to be in to stay on your route. Thats pretty cool...I think. :cloud9:

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS
35 Posts
Superjim, that lane feature sounds great...one of the problems with the previous nav discs. I was recently in my brother-in-law's 2007 Mercedes-Benz S550. Nice car, but the nav system is awful. What's with those German's? They have tons of tech in their cars, but awful nav systems.

I've tried the Nav in BMW's, Mercedes-Benz, Audi's, Volvo, Saab, Toyota, Lexus...and from what I've experienced, the GM and Ford's are by far the best.

I would love to have the real traffic feature in the 2009's...but I'm not about to buy a new unit, antennas, and go through the hell of configuring everything.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Superjim, that lane feature sounds great...one of the problems with the previous nav discs. I was recently in my brother-in-law's 2007 Mercedes-Benz S550. Nice car, but the nav system is awful. What's with those German's? They have tons of tech in their cars, but awful nav systems.

I've tried the Nav in BMW's, Mercedes-Benz, Audi's, Volvo, Saab, Toyota, Lexus...and from what I've experienced, the GM and Ford's are by far the best.

I would love to have the real traffic feature in the 2009's...but I'm not about to buy a new unit, antennas, and go through the hell of configuring everything.

I hear you about the real time traffic feature.
I live in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area and we have some real bad traffic and that feature would sure be nice to have.

I hear a lot of people on other forums complaining about the GM nav system.
Nothing is 100% perfect, but personally, I think it is pretty darn good.

I am not the easiest person in the world to please, but I have used it extensively, and so far, after 60,000 miles on my car, I am well satisfied with it.

Its pretty simple...I tell it where I want to go...it takes me there.
Done deal. :cool2:

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS
35 Posts
I was in my friend's Ford Flex, and the Ford Nav with Sync is a great system. Very easy to use, extremely user-friendly.

That Flex is and interesting vehicle. His is black on black, with leather. He bought it for $23,000 used. The ride and sound isolation are DTS-like. And the real legroom is comparable to the BMW 750Li.

The styling is controversial, but it looks to me like a Mini Clubman on steroids.

The gas mileage is pretty good...17 and 24.

·
Registered
2001 DeVille(totalled):2007 DTS White Lightning Performance
121 Posts
I understand your concern for the disk and especially the head wear of the nav unit itself. (I am in the computer business)
The DVD disk is not cheap if it needed to be replaced. The head unit would be an even bigger expense, which I also understand.

But I just kinda figured it was DESIGNED for the disk to always be in there so that it is available ANYTIME you want to use it. :stirpot: :)
I like mine always in, so all I have to do is hit the NAV button...anytime I want to...and THERE IT IS. :)

But that is why there is an EJECT button...so that we each can use it the way we see fit. :) :)

As for it running after the key is off...after 10 minutes, the RETAINED ACCESSORY POWER cuts it off...along with everything else.
I too was concerned with it running after the car was shut off. I sat in the car one evening..just to see if and when it would turn off. :)

I don't know of a head cleaner for it and I would be careful of using one if I found one. Some of them are ABRASIVE and will actually CAUSE premature wear if used too often.

As far as the car itself...I really really like it. That is, except for the road noise.
I have over 60,000 on it and put over 40,000 on my other 2006 Performance Sedan.

Texas Jim
Hey Everyone!!!...
Jim, Sorry to hear about a death in your family.
hope none of us have to suffer through any more losess, but such is life, which takes all but the memories.

You and I talked about this in another posting about my NAV... how it wouldnt turn off... well as it was, it turned out to be defective... it was running a current to the laser read arm constantly causing amps to go down sometimes to 11. So the dealer ended up replacing it and they even cleaned out my blower motor fan, had a leaf or two in it ... i should be getting my complimentary disc within a day or two... im excitited to hear about cool little features within the firmware.

Now iam facing a different problem comming from my right rear, either top shock mount(making a rigid metal bending noise) or the coil mount is making some metal knocking at low speeds<20mph. The 400 lbs tech drove it and said he couldnt hear anything (almost had a heart atack when he jumped in to the car)... i pointed out to him, that to me when looking through the rim, up top where the coil spring sit's, it seems to be incorrectly possitioned, the rubber protective sleve is not alligned like the other side is... he said no no its not a safety issue or anything.. i continue to hear it so i bought some RUBBER spring boosters 2 for each side to see how it feels with them in... gonna jack up the rear and put them in tmw after work... if you have any input about this please hit me with it... Thanks again.

·
Registered
2000 seville sls, 2007 dts lux iii
13 Posts
Well here is another update..........I just talked to Reggie at gmnav and he tells me the certified nav update program ended about 14 months ago. My 2007 DTS is certified but I still have to pony up the 200 for the 2009. That does not make much sense since the 2010 will be out, I would suspect, with the 2010 models.........at this point might as well wait for the 2010 version unless anyone out there has other ideas.

T.I.A.
Dick

21 - 40 of 93 Posts