Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a new issue that I can't seem to figure out. Power steering goes out periodically and I get service power steering on the dash. If I pull over and cycle the ignition the power steering works just fine. Any ideas. Sorry if I am in the wrong place, I am new to the forum.

Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
Hey guys,
I have a new issue that I can't seem to figure out. Power steering goes out periodically and I get service power steering on the dash. If I pull over and cycle the ignition the power steering works just fine. Any ideas. Sorry if I am in the wrong place, I am new to the forum.
Welcome.

Start by checking the fluid level.
If that is fine, a weak or failing vehicle alternator and/or battery can cause those messages to display.

Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
when the Pwr/Str message goes on, check the battery voltage on the DIC driver information center. If it is low below 13 Volts you need to have the charging system and battery tested.
If itis reporting correct voltage above 13 volts you need to have the power steering system tested.

Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
Regardless, you will want to change out the fluid in your power steering pump. Simple turkey baster does the trick (and don't use Mama's!).

Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI Premium, 2014 CTS VSport
Welcome.

Start by checking the fluid level.
If that is fine, a weak or failing vehicle battery can cause those messages to display.
Given that electric power is provided by the alternator when the engine is running, this may be the more likely place to look than the battery. However, both should be checked.

Edit: similar problem to yours, this is fairly well-known.

Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
Given that electric power is provided by the alternator when the engine is running, this may be the more likely place to look than the battery. However, both should be checked.

Edit: similar problem to yours, this is fairly well-known.
Agreed and appropriately edited.

Registered
when the Pwr/Str message goes on, check the battery voltage on the DIC driver information center. If it is low below 13 Volts you need to have the charging system and battery tested.
If itis reporting correct voltage above 13 volts you need to have the power steering system tested.
Just a reminder that diagnosis of an alternator problem by a single voltage level can be problematic with these computer-controlled alternators. Once the charge algorithm has determined the battery is fully charged I see the DIC voltage at 12.8V with a perfectly good alternator. The charging system is in "float" mode. In the old days this would indicate alternator failure, but that is not what it indicates in this car.

As far as I can tell, the acid test for a working alternator is, after a cold start when the battery has had an opportunity to settle overnight, look for the DIC voltage to reach 14.8V to 15.0V for at least a few minutes. An alternator that has the usual failure mode will not be able to reach this high voltage and sustain it. If the highest voltage you ever see is 14.6V, you probably have a failed alternator. And yes, your battery will keep working with the alternator in this partially-failed condition.

Reactions: silversport

Registered
Hey guys,
Welcome to the forum, please add your car year, model and details (sedan, coupe, RWD, AWD) to your profile to put your question in context.

Reactions: silversport
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.