Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greatings All, I did a search on the forum and came up with nothing on removal of bolt on back of pump. Started to replace it myself then I got to last bolt couldn't get to it. Limited on tools as we broke down on trip. Shop wanted $680. Car in shop 3 days and they tell me the engine might have to come out. I told him hold no more no work on car. Anybody has suggestion. I was thinking bout making tool out of cut down wrench and attach to tubing with slit in tubing. Used something like this when I used to work on helicopters. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
170 Posts
To start with what is the problem you are trying to fix?

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
2,501 Posts
Be glad you don't have an SLK350 with the defective cam gear. There is this bolt behind the ring gear...

That said I'd probably start with a HF tool and a blue nosed wrench. I have some in very interesting shapes.

And then there is this one tranny bolt on a '90 3800/4T60 that requires every extension you can find, beg, borrow, or steal.

Do you have a picture of the bolt in question ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry about that
09 CTS V6 2WD, power steering started to exibit random ratcheting and pump began low whine.fluid just a little low so brought it up to hot level while hot. No improvement, power steering pump warning light came on. Pulled over, belt still on and tight, wiring harness and connecter good. L

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys no pic right now car is at the shop still. I will be taking it back tomorrow morning. The bolt in question is on the back side of the pump . Not behind pulley, more like just below aluminum fliud line that screw into top right side of pump. I will post pix tomorrow. I am making tool to reach bolt. Will post pix of that also

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
170 Posts
It's probably too late but I would have started by sucking out all the fluid in the pump that you could and replacing it with some Lucas fluid. I've done this on a few vehicles and it has usually helped

Roy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if things couldn't get worse they did! Went to shop this morning to pick up car, I told mechanic make sure you put everything you took off back on. He checks it out and says it's good to go. I drive it back to motel I'm staying at and notice alot of smoke coming from under hood. First thought out was ps fluid that leaked out then I recognized smell was engine oil. I pop the hood and now we have an engine compartment fire going and going good!! At that point I should have stepped back and let that sob burn to the ground.i call shop and give guy earfull. He send mechanic over and he puts in three quarts oil and says it's good to go.engine will burn it off
Engine still covered in oil. I tell owner engine bay needs pressure washing. Owner of shop tell me F off he is not doing anymore work on car!

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
405 Posts
Proper sized crow foot with lots of extentions lets you get the ratchet to the rear of the engine where you have room to turn the ratchet. You have to turn just a little and then reposition the crows foot. Good Luck

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,429 Posts
Why was the engine covered in motor oil?

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,429 Posts
I'm guessing it was much like the time the dealer failed to tighten my power steering reservoir cap and I didn't check their work as I usually do. I didn't notice until the pump started squealing... or the time I saw 4 qts of oil under a co-worker's car in the parking lot after he had his oil changed at lunch time.

I'm giddy with anticipation.

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
498 Posts
Mechanics sometimes make mistakes. By the grace of the gods, they are thankfully not all catastrophic...

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,429 Posts
True enough. Even the time the mechanic forgot to tighten my wheel nuts I managed to stop on the shoulder before the wheel fell off.

Reactions: BruceCoupe

·
Registered
2014 ELR
135 Posts
Service manual says..
Drain as much fluid as possible.
Remove the pully.
Disconnect reservoir outlet hose from pump.
Disconnect the steering gear inlet hose.
Remove the three PS BRACKET bolts
Remove the pump and bracket from vehicle.
Swap bracket to new pump if required.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX v6 AWD
10 Posts
I just did the PS pump on my v6 3.6l 07 SRX. I took the whole bracket off. 2 bolts in the front(remove pulley) one on the side and the one in the back by the oil filter housing. That back one was hard to get at but do able. I'd find a store and buy some tools. Gotta be cheaper that having that asshat work on it. Goodluck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts