Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS 4 3.6DI
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my front door handles just broke this winter. They made it through the coldest days, then both stopped working the exact same time just recently. I know there's a tsb out for the exterior handles breaking due to water seeping in and freezing, I'm guessing this is my problem...

I have the keyless entry, pull the door handle with the fob in your pocket and you're in. The front doors both stopped working from the exterior, either via the keyless method or by putting the physical key in the slot to open manually. The car still registers when I pull the handle and unlocks the rear doors as normal. I can open both front doors from the interior handles fine. Using the remote unlock buttons produces the same result, too- unlocked rear doors, useless front doors.

I looked through the other old threads on this topic and it seems this is not an uncommon problem, and most everyone gets the entire handle unit replaced at ~$400. I've got the dealer working on just the driver side right now so he can call me to confirm the issue. I get the feeling he's already decided this is the issue and will simply pull the handle unit and replace it.

So here's my issue. I've got basically the top GMPP on the car and can't imagine this isn't covered. The dealer said it's considered "trim" and therefore not covered. Now I can't order a cts without door handles, and that handle is full of electronics... Am I fighting a useless fight? Is this something I'll be stuck paying for? It just seems too coincidental that both door handles break the exact same day and trip. My wife and I got in the car just fine one trip, the next we are SOL. It's a frustrating situation and I'd like not to pay $800 to get my damn doors to open if I don't have to. Any help or direction is much appreciated.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,184 Posts
Understand I do not have the GMPP, but my advice is to read your warranty and go from there. It sounds like BS to me, but I don't have the warranty to read and understand what is covered. I say BS to the "trim" nomenclature.

----------

I looked at my AllData account. Doors are not condsidered "trim" in their eyes. It's a stinking door, my good man. Not a trim piece.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 4 3.6DI
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Understand I do not have the GMPP, but my advice is to read your warranty and go from there. It sounds like BS to me, but I don't have the warranty to read and understand what is covered. I say BS to the "trim" nomenclature.
Thanks, that's my plan for tonight after work. Freaking headaches...

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,184 Posts
Sure are. Read it....just........before.....................bed...........................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 4 3.6DI
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No joke...

Just spoke with Ally (gmpp provider) and I guess if the handle unit had a physical break I'm sol. If it's an electronic malfunction I could be covered. Fingers crossed my wife and I didn't both manhandle the door handles at the exact same time...

·
Registered
14,184 Posts
:bsflag:

·
Registered
08 CTS blk/blk
383 Posts
Hey Slowmyke,

I repaired my driver door lock assembly last summer. I bought the kit at GM parts direct. If you're good with your hands its not that big of a challenge. The drivers side is harder because of the key cylinder. That's of course GM doesn't fix it for you. I'm pretty sure I posted the stock number of the kit on one of my threads. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 4 3.6DI
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Dealer called back said there's a short somewhere. Sounds electrical to me, I sent him back to Ally to discuss coverage with the gmpp again. He didn't get back today, but I've got more ammo now if I need it.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 4 3.6DI
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you able to still open the driver's side by inserting the key and turning it?
Nope. Exterior handles completely useless.

Update- after going back and forth between the dealership and the warranty co, the door handles are covered. The warranty co was on my side from the start and the dealership just seemed clueless about the whole thing. Very pleasant but very clueless. They didn't seem to understand that Ally is the underwriting company for gmpp plans and that's the company you deal with when calling about the warranty. In any event, it seems the service tech put the wrong part number or description in the website to check for warranty coverage. I explained this to the warranty co and they finally talked to the dealer to straighten it out.

So to anyone with the dead door handle issue, this is covered with the pro guard gmpp. Just push the dealer to call and talk directly to the warranty co.

·
Registered
14,184 Posts
I never cease to be amazed.

Glad it is a covered item!

·
Registered
2009 CTS 4 3.6DI
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never cease to be amazed.

Glad it is a covered item!
I don't get it either. The dealer gets paid either way. One way you get a happy customer, another you get a pissed off customer. I don't know how dealers don't understand the concept of earning future dollars. I've just bought this car, chances are I'll be spending more money on it. Treat me right today and I'll spend that future money at your dealership, too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
[/COLOR]
I don't get it either. The dealer gets paid either way. One way you get a happy customer, another you get a pissed off customer. I don't know how dealers don't understand the concept of earning future dollars. I've just bought this car, chances are I'll be spending more money on it. Treat me right today and I'll spend that future money at your dealership, too.
The dealer is trying to make sure someone pays them. Dealing with the myriad of aftermarket insurance companies is no special treat for service advisors as each has their own way of doing things.

It's not covered under the GM warranty. There's a bulletin to replace the handles (09-08-64-036) but that's merely informational. There's no special policy. Goodwill coverage may have been an option, but it's not likely a service manager would use up one of his bullets on an older car, especially if the customer isn't the original owner.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 4 3.6DI
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not covered under the GM warranty. There's a bulletin to replace the handles (09-08-64-036) but that's merely informational. There's no special policy. Goodwill coverage may have been an option, but it's not likely a service manager would use up one of his bullets on an older car, especially if the customer isn't the original owner.
In talking directly with Ally about my GMPP, I had multiple advisors say my issue was covered. I'm thinking my issue was not the exact issue from the bulletins.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 4 3.6DI
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Final update- my issue was not handles damaged by freezing temperatures. The dealer said there was a fair amount if corrosion on some sensors in the handles. He said it was somewhat common in his experience and that he learned it was a covered issue with the pro plan from this interaction. Apparently some covered items first come up as not covered due to broader definitions of issues and parts that would not be covered. You have to identify items that look like they should be covered and confirm over the phone with the warranty co, who will then override the declined coverage.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 Premium Sport Wagon AWD 3.6L, Crystal Red Tintcoat
28 Posts
We also experienced the dead driver's door handle last weekish lol.
Drove over to the dealer the next business day and got it fixed in ~3 hours. At first I was being charged, but mentioned I had GMPP and they covered it without hesitation. Just paid the deductible. Quoted the work at ~$300-$400.
Their 'diagnosis' was a bad door lock actuator, but I think it was just the microswitch in the handle. Either way, they had the part on hand and it was fixed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts