Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2009 CTS AWD and the transmission was replaced under warranty but now I get a light load shudder. I have been told it may be a torque converter issue. It is most noticeable when on cruise and then you travel up an incline. The car shudders and then goes away. If you didn't know any better you would think there are speed grooves/bumps in the road. The Dealer has tried to fix it many times with no success. Now the Dealer says it is a characteristic of the AWD and that their stock cars all perform the same. Anyone else have this problem? Better yet anyone with a fix?

·
Registered
Former 2009 CTS owner, back to BMW
187 Posts
This sounds to me to be very similar to the "vibration" issue that is reported with the CTS platform. I have a 2009 DI (RWD) and have a vibration under light load between 40-60. I too feel it quite a bit going up hill, I however have a light vibration/shudder anytime I am driving between 40-60mph. Cadillac does not have a fix. There are multiple PIP's out there however, I have not been able to get rid of this issue.

Interesting to see that your transmission was replaced. I really feel that there is something wrong with my transmission as well. I only have 4500 miles on my car but the transmission is acting really strange and the shifts points have become very confused - that's the only way I can discribe it.

·
Registered
none
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comment. I did notice the many vibration threads but wasn't sure if it was my light load "shudder" everyone was experiencing. I hope they get a fix fast. The car is great except for the shudder. WRT to the old/replaced transmission it always bogged or lagged when shifting. I never thought it was "right". Brought it in and it needed to be repaired with new clutches but thankfully the Dealer put a new unit in. I never had the "shudder" issue with the old transmission.

·
Registered
08 CTS RWD with all options
178 Posts
I test drove 3 DI 08 CTS with Auto Trans and I own one, they're all lagged when shifting during a sudden acceleration.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
I test drove 3 DI 08 CTS with Auto Trans and I own one, they're all lagged when shifting during a sudden acceleration.
Mine too, dammit!

"Sudden acceleration" is often needed in response to rapidly changing traffic conditions - i.e., when changing lanes, passing, turning left in the presence of oncoming traffic, etc. Invariably when I hit the accelerator with auto-transmission in "D," my car's forward momentum stalls as engine rpm's soar to near-redline while the tranny disengages and searches for the correct gear...actually, any gear...and it's usually one too low. Ha! You should see the looks on other motorists' faces when they see and hear my CTS attempting to turn or pass, engine belt screeching, and going nowhere fast.

My Cadillac dealer's shop foreman has driven my car and says the above-described lag is normal. Bottom line: yet another CTS quirk, compromise, and disappointment.

Rarely when the need for a sudden burst of acceleration can be fully anticipated, I can avoid the engine racing and vehicle stall effect by downshifting in manual mode.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
Mine too, dammit!

"Sudden acceleration" is often needed in response to rapidly changing traffic conditions - i.e., when changing lanes, passing, turning left in the presence of oncoming traffic, etc. Invariably when I hit the accelerator with auto-transmission in "D," my car's forward momentum stalls as engine rpm's soar to near-redline while the tranny disengages and searches for the correct gear...actually, any gear...and it's usually one too low. Ha! You should see the looks on other motorists' faces when they see and hear my CTS attempting to turn or pass, engine belt screeching, and going nowhere fast.

My Cadillac dealer's shop foreman has driven my car and says the above-described lag is normal. Bottom line: yet another CTS quirk, compromise, and disappointment.

Rarely when the need for a sudden burst of acceleration can be fully anticipated, I can avoid the engine racing and vehicle stall effect by downshifting in manual mode.
I wonder if this is a way for the manufacturers to maximize their MPG ratings under the new test. I participated in Audi's "Driving Experience" for their new Q5 about 3 weeks ago and although the vehicle had decent acceleration, the "lag" was similar (if not worse) to the CTS (both vehicles are normally aspirated V6's).

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
I have seen this lag too, on GM cars, as well as european ones. My Saturn Aura also has a lag and does the same thing when it comes to not shifting and bogging in too high a gear and then down shifting to too low a gear and then screaming with little more acceleration. Go figure ...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have seen this lag too, on GM cars, as well as european ones. My Saturn Aura also has a lag and does the same thing when it comes to not shifting and bogging in too high a gear and then down shifting to too low a gear and then screaming with little more acceleration. Go figure ...
Ditto
I have both the CTS and Malibu doing the exact thing "lag in sudden acceleration". I think that's GM trade mark

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
I bet the trans tuning which causes the lag you all described is for two reasons.
1. better fuel economy
2. smoother trans kick down for smoother overall acceleration.
If anyone has a Corvette with auto, there is almost none if any lag. Hit the go pedal and it will snap your neck back. There's no hunting just go.

·
Registered
Cadillac
207 Posts
I have on 08 AWD and I have never experienced the "lag" mentioned. When I hit WOT mode, and I do quite often, it instantaniously, comes to life and will run right up to redline without a wimper. My instant gratification for the day!

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
...I have never experienced the "lag" mentioned. When I hit WOT mode, and I do quite often, it instantaniously, comes to life and will run right up to redline without a wimper...
Mine does the same from a standing start.

The "lag" occurs in moving traffic...typically when I'm cruising at >40 mph, feathering the gas pedal, waiting to change lanes, pass another vehicle...or coasting with foot off gas pedal, approaching a lefthand turn across oncoming traffic...and then, right when a sudden burst of acceleration is needed to avoid getting broadsided or rear-ended or whatever...I hit WOT and get "lag" instead...plus shrill noise from engine and belt. It's infuriating, frustrating, and, yes, even embarrassing...not to mention unsafe.

·
Registered
Former 2009 CTS owner, back to BMW
187 Posts
Mine does the same from a standing start.

The "lag" occurs in moving traffic...typically when I'm cruising at >40 mph, feathering the gas pedal, waiting to change lanes, pass another vehicle...or coasting with foot off gas pedal, approaching a lefthand turn across oncoming traffic...and then, right when a sudden burst of acceleration is needed to avoid getting broadsided or rear-ended or whatever...I hit WOT and get "lag" instead...plus shrill noise from engine and belt. It's infuriating, frustrating, and, yes, even embarrassing...not to mention unsafe.
This same situation happened to us this past weekend. We were turning left through a intersection and I found the CTS just wasn't picking up speed in fact it felt like a weight was holding it back so I put the pedal to the floor and the rpm's kicked up then as it shifted to the next gear, BAM felt like I had a supercharger on the dam thing. The other half was not too pleased and I got another comment that I didn't know how to drive :bigroll:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I believe the lag in sudden acceleration happens only on overdrive. In the city when the auto-trans in the 4th or 5th gear it accelerates very fine.

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
The "lag" phenomenon has happened to me on several occasions with my '08 CTS4. When I needed some instantaneous acceleration in response to a traffic event (with the car already going 15-30 mph), there has often been a distinct & uncomfortable hesitation.. and then the transmission would finally find a lower gear and the car would then take off as if a phantom turbocharger finally kicked in. Like others here, I also suspect this transmission 'operating characteristic' (i.e. lag) on the CTS is related to fuel economy parameters. I'm now beginning to wonder if it might be better for all of us to have the transmission shifter always positioned in the 'sport' position, particularly when driving in city/urban surrounds. In 'sport' the transmission may be much better prepared for sudden acceleration, at whatever speed the vehicle is already travelling. I'm going to try this for a while, and see how it goes.
RAB.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
I resort to manually downshifting when I want a sudden burst - there's no lag and it works like a charm.

YMMV

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
OK I have had the same issues, going uphill shudder around the 20 -40 mph range and then it continue once it started. I also noticed the engine dropping into overdrive at 30mph. So for the fixes that were done up to the 900 miles I have left on my warranty.

For the OverDrive portion, this was the Torq Converter. When they replaced this I still noticed the shuddering going up hills. When the mechanic finally got in the car and I showed him th enoise they could then reproduce it. # months earlier I had the right side catalytic converter replaced. My car sounded awful. Well they never replaced the left side till I reprodeuced the sound for the mechanic. Once he replaced both the shuddering stopped. Now I still get a slight shudder a different speeds but I chalk it to engine noise since the engine is known to make a few shudders at times.

I hope this helps. Never would have gotten fixed until I got the mechanic in the car. I took it to the dealer 5 or six times for other reasons before we ever fixed this original noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts