Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car doesn't have a usb input can I use a rca to usb cable to play music off a usb through the stereo
I have an ‘08 Escalade EXT, which doesn’t have Bluetooth or USB. I just purchased this simple and inexpensive Bluetooth unit from Amazon. I had no faith that it would work at all, but it is AMAZING!! I use it to stream music from my phone, and also to make and receive hands-free calls while driving. It simply plugs into your cigarette lighter socket for power. Check it out!! View attachment 577419 View attachment 577419

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,047 Posts
FM transmitter? I think I am going to pass out from shock.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,361 Posts
FM transmitter? I think I am going to pass out from shock.
Lol! I know why you're saying that, but I have an older one in another car that connects between the antenna and head unit and "direct injects" the signal rather than broadcasting it, and it works pretty well. Don't know if you can even buy such a thing anymore.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,047 Posts
I remember those. I once installed a CD changer that was MP3 capable for a friend like 15 years ago. It used that style. I remember being able to tell the sound quality was "FM" but at least the actual reception was perfect.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
I tried using 2 different FM transmitters in the past, one was supposed to be top of the line, I hated both of them.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,469 Posts
FM transmitters are the worst...used one for an iPod in my old '95 Seville back in 2005...I probably still have the thing sitting in a box somewhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My car doesn't have a usb input can I use a rca to usb cable to play music off a usb through the stereo
Interesting. That's actually a good question (considering the times).

But the answer is no. They are two different (and totally incompatible) interfaces.

USB is purely digital (& I/O) while RCA is purely analog (and either input or output only).
So to properly do what you mentioned, you would need a USB (or any Flash Memory) MP3 player that has an 'audio out' (which likely would be a little round hole aka stereo coaxial jack, possibly a head phone jack... but could have RCA outputs, depending on the size and nature of the device) and use an appropriate coaxial audio plug-to-RCA pigtail adapter-cord, to plug into your RCA stereo inputs. And that should work. Or you can use one of those digital media players that broadcasts its output to your FM radio. And keep in mind that they now sell 'disk-less' car stereos for $30 or less (online) that support playing digital files and USB input... should you ever decide to go that route. (I bought one but haven't installed it yet, but it's relatively small, light-weight, has a remote and wouldn't take much to connect to my 12v and RCAs.) In the mean time I use a spare (unactivated) cellphone to play my digital music (and also works well with my wireless headphones), so if your car stereo has Bluetooth capability, that might be an option. Anyway, just some ideas. Good luck!

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L AWD DI
9 Posts
This is somewhat unrelated but same general topic. My 08 CTS has the base radio/head unit in it and I want to upgrade it to the gps setup. I’ve found the parts on eBay and can get it programmed no problem but I was told I needed to check my RPO codes to see if it’s even possible. Is that true? I’ve only ever done speaker swaps in my cars and allegedly it was plug and play in my last 2 cars but I know GM is different.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts