Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car doesn't have a usb input can I use a rca to usb cable to play music off a usb through the stereo

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
Even if you can connect a USB using that, there would be no way to play the media from the USB, no software. The only way you could play media from a flash drive would be using another piece of hardware with the appropriate software (like a laptop or tablet), and at that point you would be better off simply streaming the audio to the device and have it connected via RCA/aux.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,361 Posts
Have you tried satellite radio? You should be able to get a free trial and then once-a-year whining keeps the fee down to about 6 bucks a month. Way more convenient than patching into the RCAs in console and messing with a phone.

Someone on here installed an mp3 player like this in place of the ashtray. A search should find his thread.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,469 Posts
Just connect a Bluetooth receiver to the RCA input...Now you can stream directly from your phone via Bluetooth.

I'm a longtime subscriber of XM though so I mainly use that. I have the Bluetooth if I want to hear something specific via Pandora/Spotify.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
@curtc Which receiver do you use? I've looked into those but never actually picked one up.
I've had XM before but didn't use it at all.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
@curtc That's the one I was looking at.
Talk to me about your power set up. Do you just run the power through a regular USB adapter? Do you have to manually turn it off/on every time you get out/into the vehicle?
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,469 Posts
Yes, USB power adapter in the console. And yes, since that always has power I turn the receiver off when I'm not using it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,469 Posts
I did find there was a slight hiss when using the included RCA to RCA cable. I bought a 3.5mm in-line filter, plugged that into the receiver's 3.5mm output, and then a male 3.5mm to RCA Y cable into the female 3.5mm on the other end of the filter. Solved the hissing sound.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
@curtc Thanks man. It's pretty annoying that the option to power off the outlet at ignition off via the fuse is virtually nonexistent. I know that at least one person on here used the jumper method from another fuse which actually powers off, might have to go that route.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,047 Posts
I guess GM didn't offer the 3 pin fuse holders like on earlier cars? Never looked into it on these.

Also, with a BT receiver at the RCA jacks, generally how do you deal with phone calls? Can Android handle one BT connection for calls and the other for media playback? That would be ideal. With the latest high quality BT (aptX) streaming, my quality concerns of the past would be finally addressed and I could potentially stop having to plug the aux cable into my phone each time I get into the car. The whole buzzing/filter thing doesn't impress me though.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
I will let you know how the set up goes. I ordered the same product Curt uses, so I guess we will see.
GM did put the 3 pin fuse holders in but guess what the other position does?

It totally turns the outlet off.
Like if I want to turn the outlet off I would just pull the fuse, why make it an option to move the fuse into the other position if it doesn't do anything?
The guys who engineered it sure were ahead of their time, so far ahead that they went into the era of idiocracy LoL.
Whatever, there is no point in getting too terribly upset about a 15 year old design flaw.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,469 Posts
Also, with a BT receiver at the RCA jacks, generally how do you deal with phone calls? Can Android handle one BT connection for calls and the other for media playback? That would be ideal.
I'm almost positive it uses one BT connection for each use. I don't use the BT often nor do I take a ton of calls in the car. I'll give it a test run today for you and let you know.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,469 Posts
@kevm14 Yes, works exactly as you described. Listening to BT audio via AUX and if a call comes in the STS picks up.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts