Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 STS and there has been a clicking noise inside the dash (sounds like a motor trying to do something) whenever the floor vents are activated. I have seen a few things about blend door actuators on the internet and what not, but I haven't found anything on the forum about this particular issue. It only happens whenever the air is coming from the floor vents. So if I turn it off, it still clicks nonstop because air still comes from the vents. I imagine I will probably have to remove the entire dash or something ridiculous, but if anyone has any info on what I would need to do, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
There are a few of those motors that control where the air comes out. When they go out, they will make that clicking noise that you are talking out. You will have to figure out which motor it is & then replace it. I think you can access a few of them behind the glove box door. I have heard they are a pain to change.

Max

·
Registered
217 Posts
You can do the temperature blend motor without pulling the dash, but not the mode selector motor.

Book time for the repair is 5.2 hours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I’m finding out that everything is a pain to change in this car. Haha. Is there a way of diagnosing the issue before digging into it? Air is coming from the floor vents just fine (at least I think.) There are probably multiple motors and vents down there. What am I looking for? Sorry if these are dumb questions! Thanks

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You have to try to isolate the noise by trying pinpoint where it is & then try to find the motor. I think a few of them are behind the glove box. So when you hear the noise, get under the dash as best you can. Removing the trim under the glove box & under the steering column is fairly easy. Once you locate the motor, you can try to describe here where it is & I'm sure someone can tell you which one it is.

Max

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sooo, I haven’t had time to isolate the noise. But I started using my spare fob yesterday bc my main one is almost dead, and the clunking is gone... This could just be a big coincidence, but would those two be related? Maybe one of the settings for the Driver 1 fob?

·
Registered
270 Posts
These are not motors but actuators which have a disk of resistive material that rotates against multiple contacts. Using temperature actuator as an example - 72 degrees is a specific spot on the disk. When the resistive material gets worn off around 72 degrees - and then you set the temperature to 72 degrees - the disk rotates back and fourth making a clicking sound because it cannot find the proper resistance for 72. Most people find that when they set the temp to 60 or 90 or some other temp well away from the worn spot = the clicking stops. Your 2nd fob just has the climate controls set to a spot away from the worn spot. Good luck and report back with any fixes or changes to help others. Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an 08 STS and there has been a clicking noise inside the dash (sounds like a motor trying to do something) whenever the floor vents are activated....
I have the same 08 STS with the same problem.
Last summer, I tried to pull down the bottom cover (below the glovebox) which is a pain. I got the front screws out and pried it down. Clearly mine is the actuator trying to move the vent. I tried to reach the connector to unplug it, but was unsuccessful (and cut my hand real bad on the sharp plastic). Then magically the problem was gone, until recently. So, I have since found, that if I turn the passanger temp up to 80+ degrees, it stops. Clearly it is the actuator trying to move the vent (thermostatically based). When the weather is cool, this does not happen. So I will live with it for a couple of months by turning up the temp on the right side and lowering the temp on the left.
Maybe I will get brave and try to unplug the actuator again :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does anybody know if there is a fuse for this?
It would be great if we could just 'disable' that floor vent actuator (without disabling the whole AC system of course)!

·
Registered
270 Posts
No fuse but if you can unplug the connector to it, the sound would stop. Make sure the air is flowing the way you want it to stay before unplugging. Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts