Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
08' SRX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gross,hot day in S. FL, so I decided to change my oil in my 08' SRX. I have to say it is one of the easiest vehicles to do oil changes on. It's refreshing not to have to jack up a car, and try to pry off the filter from underneath. Except for the filter housing being a little tight (dealership did it last), it was a breeze. That combined with the $10 M1 rebate, and a $4 Purolator filter made it quite worth it. Thanks Jess for the write-up.
Happy 4th !

E

·
Registered
2008 V6 SRX4
61 Posts
yeah...looking forward to doing mine...I was going to use german castrol 0w-30 but due to warranty reasons I think I should stick with M1

·
Registered
08' SRX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah...looking forward to doing mine...I was going to use german castrol 0w-30 but due to warranty reasons I think I should stick with M1
I used M1 0w30 advance fuel economy, which meet GM 4718 specs. As long as it meets those requirements from GM, and save all the receipts, there shouldn't any problem.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
I had the pleasure of doing one oil change in our old '04 and will have to wait a few more years before doing one for the '08 - in Canada, Cadillac includes maintenance (filters, oil changes, etc.) for 4 yrs / 80k kms. Of course, we pay quite a bit more up front. :eek:

I used M1 0w30 advance fuel economy, which meet GM 4718 specs. As long as it meets those requirements from GM, and save all the receipts, there shouldn't any problem.
And here's the list of oils that meet that standard: http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/maintenance/gm_approved_engine_oils.pdf

·
Registered
2008 V6 SRX4
61 Posts
thanks for the list. I guess it will be mobil 1 for me for the next 45k miles or so, that should be another 4 yrs or so....

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
743 Posts
^^^^^ Now THATS funny...don't care who you are. :) :) :) :)
I've only been doing this stuff for 40 years.
Of course with a sore neck from wrestling with my 3 yr old grandson, I went under there and unscrewed the first plug I found. :bang2:

Now I know.....female hex = diff ...................male hex = engine

·
Registered
2008 V6 SRX4
61 Posts
So just changed the oil this weekend, I have to agree it was way easy. That cannister filter really makes things easy as long as you have the right tools (15/16 socket and 6 inch extender bar for the ratchet) I even liked the built-in rubber gasket on the 5/8 oil pan bolt. First oil change for the AWD '08 V6 at 4683 miles with 64% oil life left. I have to say I was surprised at how dark....ok, black the oil that came out was. I dunno if that is the way that Mobil1 behaves cos I have never used it before but it was very very black. I saved some to send for analysis. About 5.2 qts came out so assuming that maybe 1/3 of a quart remained in the pan or engine I think I do not have a burner, since that would imply about 1/2 a quart usage in 4600 miles. I am not sure how much oil they are filled with at the factory (showroom) but 6.5qts is the max capacity so worst case scenario it used 1 qt. but I doubt it was filled to capacity at the factory. I will be able to tell next oil change since I know I put in 6QTS.

·
Registered
08' SRX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So just changed the oil this weekend, I have to agree it was way easy. That cannister filter really makes things easy as long as you have the right tools (15/16 socket and 6 inch extender bar for the ratchet) I even liked the built-in rubber gasket on the 5/8 oil pan bolt. First oil change for the AWD '08 V6 at 4683 miles with 64% oil life left. I have to say I was surprised at how dark....ok, black the oil that came out was. I dunno if that is the way that Mobil1 behaves cos I have never used it before but it was very very black. I saved some to send for analysis. About 5.2 qts came out so assuming that maybe 1/3 of a quart remained in the pan or engine I think I do not have a burner, since that would imply about 1/2 a quart usage in 4600 miles. I am not sure how much oil they are filled with at the factory (showroom) but 6.5qts is the max capacity so worst case scenario it used 1 qt. but I doubt it was filled to capacity at the factory. I will be able to tell next oil change since I know I put in 6QTS.
Similar thing with me also. When I did my oil change, about the same amount came out of my SRX. I put in about 5 1/2 qts. and the dip stick now reads at the top of the line. I know it's reading a little high for now, but I'll be taking a trip soon, so i'll leave it, rather than drain some out.

·
Registered
2008 STS & 2009 SRX
42 Posts
Just wanted to get clarification that the oil filter is in a canister under the hood near the dipstick and not under the car like a lot of oil filters

·
Registered
2008 STS & 2009 SRX
42 Posts
Thx for the info regarding oil filter in the V6. This will make it much easier. I have never own a car that had the filter under the hood. Always had to work under the car looking up. I am looking forward to changing the filter.

·
Registered
2008 V6 SRX4
61 Posts
so took the car for an oil change to the dealership cos I have no time to do that this time around and I was at or around 20% oil life left. 14,750 miles on it now and I was told that the car used 2 quarts of oil. So it seems to me that my original assessment is correct my car uses about 1 qt per 4000-4500 miles. And I am damn happy about that.

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
Even running synthetic motor oil, isn't 14,750 miles a bit long between oil/filter changes?!?

I just had mine changed (due to a pending long trip) and need to recheck the oil level today, then start watching the consumption more closely. I added a half quart at about the 2,500 mile mark after buying the SRX used at a Cadillac dealer. There was an oil change allegedly conducted by the selling dealer as part of the CPO prep prior to resale to me. Yet I'm not sure on the front end of my SRX purchase if the oil level was exactly correct to begin with, didn't check it. I'm 4,000 miles into the car.

I have never used synthetic motor oil before, and I am wary of the validity of some of the claims out there, some of which could be exaggerated. Synthetic motor oil has unquestioned superior lubrication qualities (hot and cold) and an extended but effective useful lubricant life, along with the superior "dirt/contaminant suspension" attribute. But when the amount of suspension reaches a certain saturation point, sludge is the byproduct.

But to me, dirt/contaminants are what they are, including the suspension aspect. My mechanic recommended 6,000 mile intervals for oil/filter up to a max of 7,500 miles, sooner for severe duty.

Granted, the 3,000 mile/3 month recommendation (under "normal" driving conditions) from decades ago is overkill today because the improvements in conventional motor oils and oil filters have been dramatic. But except for a Consumers Report long term test on NYC taxicabs about ten years ago, I have not found a reputable testing firm that has been able to shed any data-filled facts on engine wear differentials.

Consumers Reports had all of the taxi engines rebuilt, tested every manner of viscosity, brand, conventional versus synthetic, oil additives, interval differences, etc. Their conclusion: "no appreciable difference in engine wear" when the engines were torn down at the end of the test! Their only qualifier was that the taxis seldom had frigid cold starts because the taxis were running around the clock so to speak.

Interesting discussion. Thanks to all for your input on this topic.

·
Registered
2008 V6 SRX4
61 Posts
I did my first oil change on my caddy at just under 5k miles. So I went about 10k between changes, prob a bit longer than I would like but not off the mark generally.

·
Registered
2008 SRX V6
4 Posts
does someone have the instructions from Jess about DIY oil change on a 2008 SRX (V6)? I searched the forums, but could not find anything...
thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts