Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS [] 2008 Cadillac DTS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My suspension is throwing a code, my question is do all DTS come equipped with air ride shocks in the rear? If that's the case anybody have a link to order a set for replacement thanks.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,651 Posts
It's not "air ride" in that the air has nothing to do with suspension/spring control - it's ELC - Electronic Level Control. The system uses a compressor, control head, height sensor, air lines, and bladders on the rear shocks to compensate for extra weight in the trunk or rear seat. The compressor does a checkout 2-second run just after Key: ON.

What code(s) and their definitions ?

You can use the Monroe replacements in RockAuto.com - if the shocks are the problem, but I'll bet it's either the compressor assembly or the height sensor.

To test the system, get 2 assistants, pop the trunk. You turn the Key: ON and wait for the ELC to do its preload/proveout. OK? If so, y'all sit on the open trunk lip - the system should level the car. OK? If so, all hop off and you listen in the RR wheelwell for escaping air as the system again levels the car.

This is the ELC in my Seville - but yours is close to the same.

ELC compressor system.png

·
Administrator
67,651 Posts
For the air bladder level control function, read Post #3 again. For suspension control, if the rear is sloppy and has excessive thump/rebound problems then the shocks themselves are bad - just like any other worn out shock.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS [] 2008 Cadillac DTS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the code read and my mechanic said left side circuit short for what that's worth...

·
Administrator
67,651 Posts
What was the DTC - probably a C (Chassis) code ? "left side short circuit" means nothing, especially when we don't know the suspension option level of your car - there were different suspensions available, usually found on the RPO sticker under the spare tire cover.

Here's the codes definitions link. Bookmark it - you'll need the info as long as you own the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts