Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
'03 CTS
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got to drive a AWD w/sunroof,NAV etc.

Plus:
  1. Looks great and love the interior
  2. Legroom is the best I've ever seen on a midsize sport sedan (I'm 6'6 so it's very important) :)
  3. Handling is great
  4. It will give the BMW/Lexus crowd a real fit
  5. Almost like everthing about it
Minus: And the reasons I won't buy until GM fixes a couple of things (hurry up GM) but won't hold my breath for a fix, probably not until '09.
  1. Who designed and better yet who approved the Rube Goldberg like Strut tower brace?:thepan: It is the worst designed ugly piece of engineering I've ever seen. Welds look like hell including heat scorch. I could have done a better job in my back yard. :stirpot: Bet BMW and the Japanese would have done it much better. At least make it look good and not an after thought.
  2. Hate the flimzy sun shade w/sunroof. New car and you can already see the dirt and bugs through it. Kind of reminds me of what you see when you look up at a cover from a flouresent light fixture and see the dead bugs. Looks and feels real cheap (which it is)
Will not pay $40-45K for any vehicle that has these issues. Come on GM. If you're going to do something do it right.

Other than that. Great job

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
I disagree on the weld of some brace as no one is going to see it(maybe it was a preproduction setup) and I would just suggest not ordering the sunroof.. (the sunroof was goofy in my opinion too.

Otherwise a great car.

·
Registered
Cadillac
20 Posts
So even with all the improvements to fit and finish, you are going to hold off on buying the car you want and "like almost everything about" because of a strut tower brace that nobody will ever see and because the sunroof shade is flimsy?

How were you able to overlook all the sub par items on your '03 CTS when you made that purchase?

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
How were you able to overlook all the sub par items on your '03 CTS when you made that purchase?
That's what I was just about to say. I'm all for nitpicking, especially on a pricey luxury car, but when it's things like this...sheesh, you HAVE to be looking.

Unlike climbing in an '03 CTS, where there's just too much kind of glaringly cheap and not properly done...staring you in the face.

·
Registered
'03 CTS
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I disagree on the weld of some brace as no one is going to see it(maybe it was a preproduction setup) and I would just suggest not ordering the sunroof.. (the sunroof was goofy in my opinion too.

Otherwise a great car.
These are not pre-production cars. There were 3 sitting at the dealer. All three had the same set up 'cause I looked. If you haven't seen it stop at a dealer and look for yourself.

I disagree that nobody is going to see it. First, I will see it everytime I open the hood. Second, GM should know better. Do it right the first time. At least paint the damned thing. Third, I like a sunroof and wouldn't have a vehicle with out one.

All in all we do agree on one thing, that it's a great car. I'll wait for a fix.

·
Registered
2011 SRX & 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
374 Posts
If it bothers yoou that much, unbolt it, have it ground and polished or chromed, and bolt it back in. Would look great and probably only cost you $100 - $150. If I were to do it, I'd also have a Cadillac crest attached or painted on it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm so impressed with the vehicle I just ordered one today!

I'm sorry if the finish on strut tower brace keeps you from owning these very fine vehicles.

Believe it or not..I sat in the car...I drove the car and didn't bother to open the hood. I had to own it. Its a bold american design and wouldn't let the finish on a strut tower brace stop you if you enjoyed the drive as much as I did..

As mentioned above... I'm sure you could get the cross brace polished easy if it did.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Todays a good day! I dig bold american products like this. My Z06 throws down about 485 hp and its a race car for the street. (or at least feels that way)

This new CTS is a cool luxury sports sedan that really scoots!

Did I mention I was really impressed. ?

·
Banned
655 Posts
These are not the sort of thing I'd count on Cadillac fixing. I hope to go drive one of those today, and if so will check out the sunroof shade. If it's one of the flimsy ones with lots of little holes in it, those are commonly used with panoramic sunroofs because you need a material that will roll up. Mercedes uses such a material in its cars with panoramic sunroofs. If you've seen those, how does the Cadillac material compare?

On the strut brace, I second spending a little money to have it refinished, or do it yourself in your backyard.

I'm a critical person myself. I'll post my own observations once I can drive one of these.

·
Registered
NONE
184 Posts
I wonder if that shade can be swapped for a better material of choice in a shop... I like the panoramic roof idea too much to resist.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Cadillac is aware of the sunroof shade issue. They will have a replacement out shortly. It is the same shade used in the Mercedes - however, Cadillac has heard some complaints from Cadillac employees in addition to dealerships - and will have a fix out when they get the suppliers in order. Most likely you will be able to have the dealership replace the shade in a couple of months - as it does take some time to work with the supplier on a solution or alternative shade. It will happen.

·
Registered
92 Allanté, 2013 ATS4
348 Posts
Well, as the old saying goes: "To each, His own...". I took delivery last week of a 2008 CTS4 (All Wheel Drive), after driving a 2005 STS. I am just 'blown away' by the quality, driving and handling, and quality interior of the CTS. I personally like the sun shade screen, as it lets light enter the interior, without the heat of an exposed sun roof. As for the brace in the engine area, it does the job; if a 'proper' brace is needed, go to the aftermarket. The new CTS does tell me that Cadillac is finally serious about taking on the BMW and Mercedes 'crowd'. No car is perfect; Cadillac has taken a giant step forward in my 'humble' opinion.

DavidL (also a 1992 Allanté owner)

·
Banned
655 Posts
Cadillac is aware of the sunroof shade issue. They will have a replacement out shortly. It is the same shade used in the Mercedes - however, Cadillac has heard some complaints from Cadillac employees in addition to dealerships - and will have a fix out when they get the suppliers in order. Most likely you will be able to have the dealership replace the shade in a couple of months - as it does take some time to work with the supplier on a solution or alternative shade. It will happen.
Cadillac surprised me with the number of changes they made to address issues with the 2004 compared to the 2003. Sounds like they're still on top of the game, good to hear. I figured these issues would be too minor to deal with, guess not.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
1 Posts
For those of you who drive your CTS spiritedly - my '06 has the sport suspension and 18in. wheel set up - and have been able to test drive the AWD in similar trim, how do you compare the handling, cornering, stability to the RWD version you've been driving? I'm eagerly awaiting the '08 AWD at my dealership for a test drive, but in the meantime I'd like to live vicariously through you lucky folks who've already had the opportunity. AWD should be a major improvement over RWD when snow flies in a few months.

BTW, I like the idea of refinishing the crossbar element with the Cadillac crest.

·
Registered
'03 CTS
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are not the sort of thing I'd count on Cadillac fixing. I hope to go drive one of those today, and if so will check out the sunroof shade. If it's one of the flimsy ones with lots of little holes in it, those are commonly used with panoramic sunroofs because you need a material that will roll up. Mercedes uses such a material in its cars with panoramic sunroofs. If you've seen those, how does the Cadillac material compare?

On the strut brace, I second spending a little money to have it refinished, or do it yourself in your backyard.

I'm a critical person myself. I'll post my own observations once I can drive one of these.
I have not seen the Mercedes sunshade but will try and stop by a dealer and compare. Like another said Cadillac is aware of the issue and might have a fix. Another mentioned "fixes" between '03 & '04 models. I expect the same to happen here.

I do like the idea of having the strut brace refinished (chromed? :cool2:) (First mod?). Might look good.

After you've had a chance to drive and look at the strut/shade chime back in and let me know what you think.

Good suggestions/comments from all. That's why I like this forum.

·
Registered
887 Posts
i think the 2008 cts is way over piced. i looked at a 2008 cts white diamond 49 thousand to much money...........i like my 2004 cts better......the 2008 front end is almost on the grourd way to low.........the car did not catch my eye.....the inside is preety cool.......out side to much plastic lol......

·
Registered
93 Eldorado(sold)99 SLS(sold) 98Catera
58 Posts
I just came from Alphonso Cad, and I was very favorably impressed. There were NO fit and finish issues on the car I drove. As a recovering dealership and manufacturer executive (only 36 mos. w/ Cadillac), I want to believe that we Americans can meet and beat the entire world. The dealership itself must also raise their game, and beat their competition with PDI that can stand a Rolls-Royce-type inspection. However, I am sick of the automotive press giving BMW and Toyota a pass on criticism. I drove an SUV 5 series, and the damn taillights didn't work! Had that occurred on a domestic, we would have never heard the end of it. Besides, for the price difference, the V gets my vote over the M, but I am heavily prejudiced. What really stupefies me, though, is this meaningless horsepower war. I guess I'm showing my age, but the fastest I've driven on public highways the past few years has been 110- in an STS. I would encourage the engineer who would reply to a horsepower question like R-R used to do- adequate.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
  1. Who designed and better yet who approved the Rube Goldberg like Strut tower brace?:thepan: It is the worst designed ugly piece of engineering I've ever seen. Welds look like hell including heat scorch. I could have done a better job in my back yard. :stirpot: Bet BMW and the Japanese would have done it much better. At least make it look good and not an after thought.
...I disagree that nobody is going to see it. First, I will see it everytime I open the hood. ...
I don't understand what the issue is here. The welds are hidden underneath some engine compartment covers, and the brushed aluminium finish goes nicely with the engine cover. Here are photos of mine:

·
Registered
746 Posts
From that photo I'm impressed with the strut tower brace.. (not that it matters to me)

Thanks for the photo.

JB

·
Registered
'03 CTS
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't understand what the issue is here. The welds are hidden underneath some engine compartment covers, and the brushed aluminium finish goes nicely with the engine cover. Here are photos of mine:

Then GM fixed the problem (or the dealer cleaned them up) because the 3 '08's I saw at the dealer the brace looked terrible. All scorched from the welds. Maybe the ones I saw were early builds? Anyway, from the picture's your's look fine. I'll stop when I get a chance and look at another couple of cars.

Good luck and congrats on your ride

1 - 20 of 31 Posts