Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 cts
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if i'll have any problem putting a limited slip rear in place an open rear concerning the dimensions? My 08 is open and the 09 rear is limited slip.08 and 09 are the same and they're both 3.42 ratio.

·
Registered
2008 cts
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about the method of removing the differental? So many different ways on line. First, does the exhaust have to go? Separate upper ball joints and let spindles lean out so the axles will be out of the way to drop rear? I've got to replace the left rear bearing anyway. I did the right side 2 weeks ago and after an hour of slide hammering I pulled the spindle and soaked it with penetrating oil and was then able to drive it out. What a corroded mess. All because of the tone ring.

·
Registered
08 CTS L76/MYC conversion
615 Posts
Exhaust will prob need to come down.

if you split the rear half shafts here
Pliers Tool Cable Auto part Electrical supply

then remove the wheel bearings and slide both axels outward you might be able to sneak the differential out then pop the stubs out of the diff… 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2008 cts
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Another question. i'm replacing the pinion and axle seals. What s the procedure for pulling the axle flanges that the inner end of the drive axle bolts to? I was told the flanges have spring clips that click into a groove and retain the flange in the rear. I was also told a slide hammer is the way to pop them out. And am I in for any surprises when I pull the pinion yoke off the shaft? I'm missing the old days. Pull the cover, push the axle in and catch the c clip when it drops off the axle.

·
Registered
08 CTS L76/MYC conversion
615 Posts
correct. The inner stubs have a clip that holds them in place. They should pop out with a pry bar, a slide hammer would also work. I’m not sure on the pinion flange but I’m sure there will prob be a preload torque value for the pinion nut…

1 - 9 of 9 Posts