Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and have a question. I just purchased an 08 CTS yesterday and the passenger side front door handle will not open the door from the outside. However it will open from the inside handle. I have looked at YouTube videos and seen post about the actuator and the micro switches going bad. My question is what other year door handle mechanisms will interchange with the 08? Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
08-14 CTS for sure but, you need to deal with part numbers on this one just in case there are some hidden secrets linked to vehicle option codes. The problem is likely the actuator as opposed to the handle. There's a thread a few steps down from yours right now dealing with the same problem that you may want to tune into. This is one part I would replace with new only.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,378 Posts
They're not expensive, replace with new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I ohmed my switches today and one is good the other is not. But I don't have power coming to the plug at all. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guy6. I did a continuity test today and one switch is good and the other is not. But I don't have power on either side of the plug. Shouldn't there be power coming to the switches?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I bought the door switches for $2.70 each. Got them from Digi-Key in MN. Part #zmsh00130poopsc
I had to grind out the epoxy that GM uses and do some grinding on the plastic holder that they mount in to get them out. I also had to do more grinding on the plastic holder for the new switches to fit but I got it done and used hot glue to hold them in place. I have continuity from both switches now. Going to install it on the car tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I would recommend something more substantial than hot glue. In summer heat, that will re-melt and not hold the switches in place well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm glad I used the hot glue. Somehow I broke one of the switches this morning installing the door handle. I took it back apart and put another new switch in and resealed it with hot glue again. After it setup for several hours I reinstalled the door handle and now I can open my door from the outside...??

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,920 Posts
Nice workaround for not buying the IMO overpriced handle assembly--Hope it proves its longevity for you.
I'll be taking the "consumer" route and doing the latter...if I ever get around to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Long it's really not that hard of a job to replace the switches. I used a drimal tool and a set of picks. You just have to be patient and take your time. Really the hardest part is grinding out the epoxy that GM uses and grinding on the plastic holder so the new switches will fit.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
I have a Dremel, but what I lack is free time.
Perhaps if I posted less...

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I bought the switches at first, but that free time thing made me just buy the assembly and be done with it.

·
Registered
16 SRX Premium AWD & 17 XT5 Premium Luxury AWD
57 Posts
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and have a question. I just purchased an 08 CTS yesterday and the passenger side front door handle will not open the door from the outside. However it will open from the inside handle. I have looked at YouTube videos and seen post about the actuator and the micro switches going bad. My question is what other year door handle mechanisms will interchange with the 08? Thanks in advance..
I like to follow up on this discussion about the front right hand door not opening on the outside. I have a 2008 CTS (original owner 121K). Like discussed in the Forum I saw the You Tube video by David Waltermyer. I followed his recommendation and replaced the door housing (micro switches) with new GM part number 25864472. I also did a multimeter test on the old part and did not detect any resistance when pulling door handle. So today I put in the replacement part and nothing! Door won"t open and did the Multimeter test and no read. So either the replacement part is bad or need to determine if it is the door handle (part number 20869089) with the remote antenna is bad or the Actuator motor (part number 23190368) is also bad. And if anyone can tell me about the door lock relay switch is the culprit and location on the CTS would be welcome. If there is process of elimination to fix the right hand door handle not opening, I would be greatly appreciative for advice. Thank You

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you tested your switches for continuity did you have the door panel still connected or was it off the car?

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
When you tested your switches for continuity did you have the door panel still connected or was it off the car?
This ^^^^.
These microswitches are finicky and I believe they may show false positives.
My passenger door wouldn't open as many here had described and replacement of the handle assembly (with microswitches) got it back in order.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I followed the recommendation that was in The David Waltermyer You Tube video with the door panel off. Today I am have a mechanic do a diagnostic test to determine the cause of the door handle issue in not opening up.. Will let you know what they found out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I purchased the switches from Digitech for $2.70 apeice. I had to grind out the epoxy holding the GM switches in and had to grind on the plastic retainer that holds the switches but it's not a hard job to do. Then I just soldered the wires and put it all back together.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I purchased the switches from Digitech for $2.70 apeice. I had to grind out the epoxy holding the GM switches in and had to grind on the plastic retainer that holds the switches but it's not a hard job to do. Then I just soldered the wires and put it all back together.
I went with the housing with two connectors. Still waiting to hear from the mechanic if the actuator is the issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts