Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
STS-V
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys,

finally my stock V is going to be given a big boost in the coming weeks, just wanted to see if there was anything else you guys may recommend for me to pick up before it goes into the shop.

so far i've picked up:

-corsa exhaust
-spectre stage 1+2 intake
-d3 lowering springs
-m sport rotors + pads
-160 degree thermostat
-ngk tr7ix spark plugs
-jabsco pump

and when the tax return comes in, ill be picking up the lower pulley, injectors, heat exchanger, and ported throttle body from Timmy

i'm all ears to anything else i may be missing out on, thanks for the help you guys have provided since joining here!

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
Once you're all done it's going to be sweet! I think the only thing you're missing are headers lol.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
213 Posts
Your forgetting 1 thing.more money, for when things go south.im the 2nd forum member with a $5,000 bill in 24hrs.luckly covered by warranty.got warranty?

·
Registered
STS-V
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your forgetting 1 thing.more money, for when things go south.im the 2nd forum member with a $5,000 bill in 24hrs.luckly covered by warranty.got warranty?
no warranty, i've got an emergency fund incase anything is to go wrong..can i ask what went wrong? 5000$ is no joke damn lol

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
375 Posts
no warranty, i've got an emergency fund incase anything is to go wrong..can i ask what went wrong? 5000$ is no joke damn lol
My car is in the shop (i am pretty sure he is referring to mine) for unrelated issues. I have the full intake on my car and a living room full of parts. I just had lots of oil leaks because Northstar.

·
Registered
894 Posts
you would be better off not getting the throttle body. it doesnt add much power wise and the money can be used on a power added such as porting/polishing blower/lid. just my .2 cents though.

·
Registered
STS-V
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you would be better off not getting the throttle body. it doesnt add much power wise and the money can be used on a power added such as porting/polishing blower/lid. just my .2 cents though.
thanks for the advice!

anyone from toronto/greater toronto area had their blower ported/polished?

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
777 Posts
For the cost of a $395 TB, I feel you're splitting hairs. If you're going to p/p the SC, just do the TB too. The labor is the most expensive item, so why not just do it all at once, when everything's apart, instead of assuming the extra overhead of having it taken apart twice? They don't make aftermarket heads or internals for these cars, so you have to do everything you can to get 'em to breathe better. That'd include the TB, and TimmyC headers as well. Sure, they don't add gobs of power individually, but when you're at the edge, as he's going to be with his planned upgrades, they're definitely going to be well worth it.

----------

I substituted my Spectre for the TimmyC intake. No numbers yet, but I feel that eliminating the stock "Y" pipe at the rear of the SC, eliminating the multiple bends of the Spectre intake's stock routing (along with the heat cooking it over the heads), the larger diameter and straighter run directly to the rear of the SC, and the larger air filter is worth it. Saw on another site's calculations & dyno sheets that the short and stubby Spectre filter, required due to the intake plumbing geometry, robbed power at the high end b/c of flow restriction. The TimmyC filter is MUCH bigger to accommodate the flow required to run at peak. So I'm guessing that IAT's will be lowered and flow increased with the Timmy C intake. My $0.02.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,905 Posts
I posted results on the throttle body a couple years ago, you can search it here. No gain with stock pulleys, +11rwhp with the 2.4" pulley, and I didn't test the stock throttle body with the lower pulley. Should be 15rwhp with that.

Porting the supercharger is worth 20rwhp when using the lower pulley. Lid porting is not worth anything.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
777 Posts
I posted results on the throttle body a couple years ago, you can search it here. No gain with stock pulleys, +11rwhp with the 2.4" pulley, and I didn't test the stock throttle body with the lower pulley. Should be 15rwhp with that.

Porting the supercharger is worth 20rwhp when using the lower pulley. Lid porting is not worth anything.
Timmy, you should do a head-to-head test of your intake versus the Spectre Stage 1 & 2. According to SEMA, the #1 modification that people do to their cars, be they a tuner or casual driver, is slap an intake on it. You look at all the guys with the Spectre setup on here, and if you could publish dyno results to prove the superior airflow and lower IAT's of your design, I think you'd get a ton more converts, and even more first time buyers...

There's so many potential benefits to your system, like lower restriction from less and more gradual bends, shorter overall piping, better routing to lower heat, and the larger filter, that it is crazy NOT to perform one!

·
Registered
2008 STS-V
338 Posts
Independent of Timmy, I have a dyno and both intakes. I just haven't gotten around to making a power pull with his yet. I will say that that the low RPM/cruise MAF flow readings appear to be spot on with the spectre. I checked this with the same VE tables (which I need to retune), but forcing open loop, targeting 1 lambda, and datalogging error as you would a MAF tune. I haven't done the higher MAF regions yet. Hopefully as the weather and time allow, I'll have more info.

·
Registered
06' STS V
491 Posts
Independent of Timmy, I have a dyno and both intakes. I just haven't gotten around to making a power pull with his yet. I will say that that the low RPM/cruise MAF flow readings appear to be spot on with the spectre. I checked this with the same VE tables (which I need to retune), but forcing open loop, targeting 1 lambda, and datalogging error as you would a MAF tune. I haven't done the higher MAF regions yet. Hopefully as the weather and time allow, I'll have more info.
So are you a tuner?

·
Registered
2008 STS-V
338 Posts
No, I just do this as a hobby. I do help out friends & locals on occasion, but certainly no where near enough to try to make any money at it.

·
Registered
06' STS V
491 Posts
No, I just do this as a hobby. I do help out friends & locals on occasion, but certainly no where near enough to try to make any money at it.
You seem to know the technical side of it pretty good....since there are so few people able to tune these cars, the community could use someone else who could tune these cars...I'm sure Timmy,1madstsv and Boomy
would help you fill in the gaps of what you haven't learned...

----------

On another note people like myself would like the dyno time....;)

·
Registered
2008 STS-V
338 Posts
I do a lot of reading about tuning LS4 & G8 (which are quite different), but some of the same priniciples apply from the ls4 being the same pcm, same holds true for the g8 trans parameters. Of course I still gotta use some trial/error, but there are lots of write ups out there to describe what most things do, and how the algorithms work. I also own those Banish DVDs which got me at least on the right path to getting the basics out of the way. If you're ever in charlotte area, dyno is free to use, c'mon by, bring some beer.

·
Registered
06' STS V
491 Posts
I do a lot of reading about tuning LS4 & G8 (which are quite different), but some of the same priniciples apply from the ls4 being the same pcm, same holds true for the g8 trans parameters. Of course I still gotta use some trial/error, but there are lots of write ups out there to describe what most things do, and how the algorithms work. I also own those Banish DVDs which got me at least on the right path to getting the basics out of the way. If you're ever in charlotte area, dyno is free to use, c'mon by, bring some beer.
Will do!!:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts