Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
07 cadillac STS Platinum black on black AWD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this car three months now and I don,t under stand how hard and rough the ride is, this car has 18 inch wheels, All factory, worse then my 85 corvette. Is there something in the adjustment that can be done. The magnetic ride is set to touring.

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,717 Posts
AWD on this car seems to make a difference. My STS-V is quite a bit smoother than my STS4 and the V supposedly has a stiffer suspension.

I've also read in reviews of our cars that some were displeased with the Mag. Ride.

Of course you could have something wrong that could be fixed.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
My advice is to change tires to a more compliant, higher profile tire & run lower pressures. The OEM Michelins are rocks; hard and slick.

MRC & AWD are a lot more enjoyable on Continental DWS 235/50R18's. I run the backs at 29 PSI and the fronts at 30.

·
Registered
2005 STS Northstar RWD
511 Posts
I would think you may want to look at the tires too. My car has 17's on it, but rides nice and smooth. Put new tires on it about 6 months ago, and it is smooth and quite down the road. Of course I also have RWD

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
I too thought the MRC was very stiff when I initially got the car, came from an FE3 equipped 04 CTS, but have since grown to love it...most of the time.

It's a bit harsh at times but overall it delivers a quality ride with superb handling for how big this car is.

·
Registered
2007 1SG STS v8 awd
502 Posts
I've read that the mrc ride quality sucks when it needs to be changed. Check the front struts to see If the magnetic goop is leaking out.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
:yeah: I have heard this as well, gets very stiff and clunky when the fluid starts to leak...I had mine checked recently and they could find no evidence of any fluid leaks, so far so good.

·
Registered
2007 1SG STS v8 awd
502 Posts
Mines is leaking and clunks and rides like crap. The dealer had a fit giving me the part number. tried to convince me that the mrc shock was a conventional shock with regular hydraulic fluid. I looked up the magnetic shocks and it's a special magnetic fluid inside the strut.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
Mines is leaking and clunks and rides like crap. The dealer had a fit giving me the part number. tried to convince me that the mrc shock was a conventional shock with regular hydraulic fluid. I looked up the magnetic shocks and it's a special magnetic fluid inside the strut.
Exactly! No hydraulic's or moving parts at all...Quite a simple design actually, just a lot of technology went into it. An electrical pulse is introduced to the fluid and it gets soft or firm depending on the input from the 4 sensors.

Right side rear - #580339 - $507.79
Left side rear - #580338 -$599.79
Front - #580350 - $462.70/each

Prices taken from RockAuto.com...Think that info is correct.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
Over two grand for a set of shocks? Holy crap!:ripped:
Gotta pay to play unfortunately. The MRC system is fantastic, but yes, VERY expensive to replace...I'd take F55 MRC over F45 CVRSS any day though...

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
I wouldn't trust those part numbers. I would not expect the front left and right to use the same part. Also that was about $150 cheaper than the part from the dealer for my front passenger replacement.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
Ludacrisvp said:
I wouldn't trust those part numbers. I would not expect the front left and right to use the same part. Also that was about $150 cheaper than the part from the dealer for my front passenger replacement.
No dealer mark up to pay, they do that...not 100% on the part #'s, that's just what the site listed.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
How much does it cost to rebuild active suspensions on other high-end vehicles?

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
The MRC system is fantastic, but yes, VERY expensive to replace...I'd take F55 MRC over F45 CVRSS any day though...
I loved the MRC on my previous 03 STS, I never heard of any problems with the F55 shocks on the older generation though. They seemed like they lasted forever on the 03-04 models. Hmmm, makes me glad I don't have it on the V.

----------

How much does it cost to rebuild active suspensions on other high-end vehicles?
I've had a few,

96 Corvette with F45 - $2200 for all 4 shocks from a dealership.
94 Eldorado with F45 (I believe it was still called) - $2000 for all 4 from dealership.
98 Eldorado with F45 - $2000 for all 4 from dealership.

I never replaced the active struts on my Eldorados or the Escalade, I went instead with passive units. Arnott for the Eldorados, Monroe for the Escalade. Both passive replacement shock sets came with resistors to trick the ride computer into thinking that the shocks were responding to adjustment. My guess is it was just providing a load so the ride computer wouldn't see an open circuit.

You might be out of luck though on this generation of STS, I don't see a passive replacement listed with Arnott beyond 03 for the Seville.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_yid6.html

12,778 Posts
Leo, I see you've been getting feedback from the community and am hoping you've found it helpful so far! If you would like any further assistance, I'm always happy to contact your dealer or check for recalls on your STS for you. Please email me at [email protected] with the last eight of your VIN if you would like me to follow up for you.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
96 Corvette with F45 - $2200 for all 4 shocks from a dealership.
94 Eldorado with F45 (I believe it was still called) - $2000 for all 4 from dealership.
98 Eldorado with F45 - $2000 for all 4 from dealership.
You miss my point. Contrast these costs to other manufacturers' designs. $3,000 may not go as far as you think.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts