Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my story.
Started it up this morning and noticed that the tuner wasn't able to connect to the vehicle. Odd. I usually wait until it's booted and the gauges load before I drive. Well it wouldn't connect. I kept getting an "unable to connect to vehicle" error.
I didn't think much of it, put it in drive (noticed I had no gear indicator), ABS Light was suddenly on, as I pressed the pedal, I got very little response. Like being put in low power mode, but different.
Truck is stuck in 2nd? gear, it's not shifting as I begin to accelerate. I get it up to 35 MPH, throttle is still like low power mode but I can keep increasing in speed, still not shifting. Not about 4000 rpm. I drive to work (just a mile on a side road), I noticed that the digital MPH is just this"--" and the speedometer gauge is swinging up and down like when you get a bad gauge cluster. Same with Gas Gauge... RPMS..... all either at 0 or swinging up off zero and returning.
I get to work, Shut it off. Try to restart it, Noting. No crank, but full power everywhere.
Being an IT guy, Reset right? I get out, disconnect battery. Let it sit, reconnect.... starts right up. But gauges are funky again. It does the normal power on self test, but they the RPM, gas and MPH are swinging even when in idle. I put it in reverse, Back up camera doesn't come on (first time for that), Cycle through my normal display warnings, get to odometer and mph, all dashes now. No LED gear indicator either.
SO in a nutshell, yesterday it ran fine. Check engine was on, service suspension warning, and airbag light on as usual. Today ABS light is on, it sometimes wont turn over but then starts right up after 5 minutes of turning the key back and forth. No back up camera, it doesn't even switch the radio, dashes on the lcd readout where mileage and MPH should be displayed, Gas, RPM and Speedo gauges swing wildly, Temp gauge sits at zero. I can shift manually fine from P to R/N/D, but the automatic trans will not shift out of starting gear.
Someone suggested Speed sensor on trans, someone else said that because I am in Northern NORTHERN Michigan that the road salt probably corroded the fuse tray. I had a mechanic say that's pretty common here.
That's a $500 part so I'd like to find a more definitive diagnosis and spend the money on the proper fix. Ideas?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV, 2018 Escalade
578 Posts
You need to have any codes pulled from the truck, a check engine or other light on is not going to help us or anyone else in troubleshooting. The cheap scanners do not read body module faults where more than likely your issues are. https://obdii.pro/en/model/gm

Check you fuses: Fuse Box Diagram Cadillac Escalade (GMT 900; 2007-2014)

Sounds to me like you do have a power problem. I could be a fuse, fuse box, ignition switch or maybe even a module.

·
Registered
1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade
1,278 Posts
Check the ground point underneath the truck near the driver side frame. There is a TSB for what you are describing and this is what worked for me with the same issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bear with me, I'm a computer tech by trade. DO you mean the grounding braid on the drivers side firewall? Is so, it's almost showroom new. We checked all wiring today and everything looks amazing considering the miles.
I'll update in the main thread the list of other things that are now nit functioning. Thanks for taking time to reply and trying to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to have any codes pulled from the truck, a check engine or other light on is not going to help us or anyone else in troubleshooting. The cheap scanners do not read body module faults where more than likely your issues are. https://obdii.pro/en/model/gm

Check you fuses: Fuse Box Diagram Cadillac Escalade (GMT 900; 2007-2014)

Sounds to me like you do have a power problem. I could be a fuse, fuse box, ignition switch or maybe even a module.
Believe me, I'd love to. But the scanner can't communicate with the truck. I unplugged my tuner and tried an industrial scanner, and we had the same trouble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's today's update.
Battery was dead. Completely.
Charged it, started it. It shut off.
Started it and it ran, same problems with gauges and such. Here's the list of what does not work, and we tried every accessory.
"Key on"
Gauges self test....looks normal.

Cannot communicate with ECM with any tester we've tried. Even tried the one from the shop. Cannot sommunicate with vehicle.

No LEDs on the gear selector
Tow/hall function isn't working
manual shift mode is not working
no crank 99% of the time
no rear hatch power functions from overhead, or remote or hatch switch
No lift gate from overhead, remote, button
No glass entry on rear hatch from any source
(wiper works, third brake light works)
Power folding middle seats are not working (no response from any switch)
No Ac function. When you select it, the snowflake icon flashes intermittently and then disappears.
No back up cam
Mileage was displayed as -----------

When it DOES crank
Started and died
Started and ran rough
Started and ran fine for about 30 min. Shut it off and no crank again
While Running:
Temp, Fuel, Tach gauges swinging... smooth and slow
temp gauge regularly sits at zero, flutters up and down, will go up to actual temp periodically and then zeros
Fuel gauge does the same but mostly sways from empty to actual reading. Never sits at "0"
Tach is erratic, same "swaying"
Still no shift indicator LEDs
no back-up cam when you shift to R
Still no change from above issues from "key on"
Still no communication with the ECM from OBD

I'll add more as we go.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV, 2018 Escalade
578 Posts
The OBD is powered by the cig lighter fuse.
Spy shops is saying there is a grounding point under the truck on the frame under the driver's seat. Slide under the truck on the drivers side and look for a ground.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorted it out.
I just want to share what we found for the next guy.
The Air Ride Control Module went bad. The minute we unplugged it, everything else was fine. I'll replace it this summer along with the worn out suspension components and I'll post if the problem comes back.
For now, it's all good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts