Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just got our first used 2007 Escalade replaced because the GM dealer we got it from never could figure out how to properly fix a transmission issue. Substantially lighter in the wallet, we now have another 2007 in a much better color (black on black) with much lower miles (should have just bought this one to begin with), and I was able to keep the 22's from the other 'Lade.

Anyhow, I just drove it 600 miles home and the problems are already beginning. Primarily, I have a rhythmic (like a shopping cart wheel) "squeak-squeak-squeak" noise coming from what appears to be the left front wheel. I thought this might be the brake wear indicator, but I've noticed that it does NOT change in intensity nor rhythm regardless of braking action, not even a little bit. What could this be?

Also, it does not appear that neither the heated nor the cooled front seats work. The indicator will appear on the display for both, and a relay clicks on on both sides, but I never feel anything from either side.

Finally, the GM 6L90 transmission must be a pile of junk because this one ALSO has it's share of odd behaviors, including an occasional lurch into 1st gear when I come to a stop, almost as if you're getting lightly tapped from behind. This is now my 3rd or fourth 6 speed automatic trans and not a single one, not even in a Lexus LS430 has been problem free. The thing has powertrain warranty left for a year and another 45k miles so I guess I'll address that when it finally breaks (which I'm sure it will).

Oh, and amazingly, it appears that GM's fun "mystery fuel gauge" continues with full fervor in this generation 'Lade. At least I have the fuel used option to keep up with my fuel use right!

These GMT900 trucks are nice to look at, but holy crap was my 2006 GMT800 1000 times better built. :bonkers:

·
Registered
03 Escalade
5 Posts
Mine makes the same squeaking noise. It doesn't seem to change pace or get any louder if I apply the brakes or not. Hopefully I get it fixed soon because it's so embarrassing when I drive by a group of people outside and it squeaks like that.

·
Registered
'07 Escalade
116 Posts
I had that same squeaking sound a while back. Come to find out it was a loose center cap on the wheel. I could actually turn it by hand, I repositioned it and hasn't come back since.
You also may want to look for a stone caught between the rotor and guard or rotor and caliper. But my money is on the center cap.

HTH

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,354 Posts
As said check your center caps, loose caps can make all kinds of strange sounds. How many miles on the truck? These 6 speeds are way stonger than the old 4 speeds it replaced, I have towed my 7k lb trailer through 3 foot of snow for 12 hours in several on my Escalade's without any issues, with my late 90's and early 2000 Suburban's driving the same roads I ate 4 transmissions. On used Escalade's (or other high end cars/trucks) many owners do nothing to maintain their trucks, they trade them in and they are ticking bombs, oils need to be changed, this is really true in the front and rear diffs because they hold so little fluid, but is also true in the transmission once you get over 30k miles. :)

·
Registered
07 Escalade
34 Posts
I had that same squeaking sound a while back. Come to find out it was a loose center cap on the wheel. I could actually turn it by hand, I repositioned it and hasn't come back since.
You also may want to look for a stone caught between the rotor and guard or rotor and caliper. But my money is on the center cap.

HTH

Same here! One of my center caps was put on wrong the other had the clips broken. Replaced the one and put the other on right...no more squeaking.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As said check your center caps, loose caps can make all kinds of strange sounds. How many miles on the truck? These 6 speeds are way stonger than the old 4 speeds it replaced, I have towed my 7k lb trailer through 3 foot of snow for 12 hours in several on my Escalade's without any issues, with my late 90's and early 2000 Suburban's driving the same roads I ate 4 transmissions. On used Escalade's (or other high end cars/trucks) many owners do nothing to maintain their trucks, they trade them in and they are ticking bombs, oils need to be changed, this is really true in the front and rear diffs because they hold so little fluid, but is also true in the transmission once you get over 30k miles. :)
Eh, I've had plenty PLENTY of high mile vehicles with questionable histories that never had transmission issues like my 6 speeds do. On the same token, I've had plenty of immaculate 1 owner cars too. My 2006 Escalade was mint with 75k (and I bought that during the gas crunch in '08 so it was only about 2 years old with all of that mileage) when I bought it and everything worked flawlessly. I have no idea how it was maintained, but the care of the interior and exterior leads me to believe that it was well cared for, which also goes for the '07 which only has 55k. Manual calls for the first fluid change at 50k, so while I like to do it sooner, it should still be shifting just as good as new just 5k beyond the specified interval. Point is, the 6L90 is GM's HEAVY duty 6 speed (6L80 is the standard duty version), so it should be pretty damn hard to break, even with purposeful abuse. The only stronger trans they make is the Allison behind the Diesels.

Thanks for the center cap suggestion, sounds far fetched but you never know!

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT
115 Posts
Is it possible that the chrome on your wheels arent peeled away and jammed up in it? Long shot but worth a look, I noticed the chrome is peeling off especially inside the rim kinda bad on the 07 ext im looking at buying now. Looks as if you cant get around that peeling anyhow, just gonna have to use the stock 22s for winter driving and upgrade for the summer season. The cherokee i have now has the chrome rims and they peeled so bad that when i inspected there was 4 inch leafs of chrome lifted off the wheels. It was making a weird noise, i pulled off all the wheels one by one and took a steel brush to them and i mustve lost 10 pounds off my total jeep weight after that lol

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was the front left wheel cap that was loose!

I still can't believe it could make so much racket but thanks to all who suggested that for helping me cross it off the list. Now for those damn seat heaters.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The seat heaters are a known issue. Get it fixed. Range Rovers, BMWs, all have the same problem. And I am experiencing issues with my 6 speed as well. Hasn't let me down, but it's not smooth at all. MY '07 Silverado's transmission was junk as well.

·
Registered
Escalade
29 Posts
Add my 07 Escalade to the fix being a loose Hub Cap. I had just had new tires put on a back in October, and just last month started to notice a bad squeaking while going down the road. Found this thread and found one cap about to fall off, it was so loose. Found the cap had two tabs bent 180 degrees back. Went back to the place where I bought the tires and was told it's not their problem and that they all break over time. Well looks like I need to find another place to do business.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts