Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I’ve got a 2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT getting close to about 170,000 miles.

About around the beginning of the year I
was told the vehicle needed new motor mounts was clunking very hard & shaking really rapidly. Ended up getting them done for a really good price only to find out the heat shields we’re not installed on the mounts....

SO proceeded to order mounts offline (WITH HEATSHIELDS) & installed them ourselves & the vehicle was clunk free for a couple months until just recently have been hearing the clunking again. Catch is I’m only hearing the clunk when I’m accelerating really quick
(foot pushing the pedal down fast) or if I’m coming to a stop pretty suddenly or coming down a hill.
If I ease on the gas pedal slightly & accelerate there is no clunk at all.
My question is does this sound like it needs mounts once again? If so is there any idea as too why the vehicle keeps requiring new motor mounts in such a short span?

Anyways, thanks for reading hoping to get some answers. I love the vehicle but by god it’s becoming a money pit.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,791 Posts
Maybe it the transmission mount this time. Or maybe you are buying cheap, junky motor mount that don’t last.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would recommend the transmission mount also, after that i'd think about replacing u-joints on the drive shaft. A bind in a bad u-joint could make a significant sound as torque is released by taking your foot off the go pedal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Purchased 3 piece set from 1A Auto. Mounts & trans mount we’re just installed back in August.
That’s why I’m kinda flabbergasted as too why the sound is coming back around.

Did my research & thought 1A was pretty solid with they’re parts (not junky) maybe I was wrong?

It’s just really weird. If I press the pedal down like you normally would accelerating you hear the clunk.
If I accelerate very slightly with my foot towards the very bottom of the pedal. There’s no noise at all? Normal accelerating noises. No boom/clunk sound.

Anyhow thanks for the replies gentlemen. Very much appreciated!

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,028 Posts
What you're describing really sounds like a motor mount. Under hard(er) throttle the motor torques upward off the mount and when it hits the mount on lighter or no throttle.. clunk!

Reactions: DSEDDON

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to say thanks for the responses,
Also had a question if someone has a answer!

So I’ve come to the conclusion that the mounts didn’t last very long for myself 1. Because they’re cheap mounts from 1A Auto.
2. Because I can be hard on the throttle ALOT.(which of course is my own dumb fault)

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a good engine mount, one that would possibly withstand harder throttle? I live in Pittsburgh area so lots & lots of hills & driving up steep roads either back & forth from work. Or traveling to camp definitely takes its toll.

After the past two experiences having my mounts replaced TWICE within a year because I choose to try & be cheap, which obviously hasn’t worked out.

I’m throwing the towel in & just taking to a local trustworthy shop nearby. It’s just I’m not looking to keep going through this with my vehicle & as we all know engine mounts are NOT cheap to replace..

Any insight or recommendations would be highly appreciated & just want to say once again thanks for the replies fellas.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,791 Posts
I would just buy the mounts from GM. They should last at least another 100k miles if not more.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It’s pretty common for the fluid filled mounts to fail prematurely. A common mod is to use the mounts from an H3. It’s generally just the driver’s side mount that fails, not sure if it’s one or both of yours. I did this to my ‘08 ESV; supposed to be increased vibration at idle but haven’t really noticed a difference there.

ACDelco 25847739 GM Original Equipment Motor Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010GPIUBO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tbVNFbAAPNRH1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was unaware you could use H3 mounts on the EXT. I haul dirt bikes pretty often in the back so I definitely think I will most likely go with a set of these.

Thank you for the heads up much appreciated!
It’s pretty common for the fluid filled mounts to fail prematurely. A common mod is to use the mounts from an H3. It’s generally just the driver’s side mount that fails, not sure if it’s one or both of yours. I did this to my ‘08 ESV; supposed to be increased vibration at idle but haven’t really noticed a difference there.

ACDelco 25847739 GM Original Equipment Motor Mount Amazon.com: ACDelco 25847739 GM Original Equipment Motor Mount: Automotive

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curious if my vehicle is missing the manifold heat shields could that possibly be the reason my mounts keep breaking due to the exposure of the heat?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Curious if my vehicle is missing the manifold heat shields could that possibly be the reason my mounts keep breaking due to the exposure of the heat?
The GM H3 mounts are solid and come with heat shields. Get 'em and be done with it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
43 Posts
I used the following mount after having replaced the driver side mount twice already. So far so good.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
238 Posts
Thanks for info about being a throttle hog. The 6.2L is sooo much fun, even in its stock form. That clunk will get resolved once you go through the paces that others suggested. GM has nothing available to bolt on in place of the OE motor mounts that can take any kind of punishment.

The work around is a full circle resto w/ OE fluid filled engine mounts and a (solid) OE trans mount & trans braces, all at the SAME time. This method gets you back to factory newness It provides the longest possible service life because every weak link is eliminated simultaneously without a chance for a compromised part to undo / damage a new component prematurely. This methodology is why owners of 0 mile, new vehicles get the longevity out of their motor and suspension dampening components.

The other work around is the H3 solid mount from the 5.3L H3. Mostly at idle, you’ll get vibration transferred into the cabin as the trade off for longevity. Ultimately, no matter what type or style component ithat’s replaced, if it’s not serviced “completely, from end to end”, a weak link in the chain can be left. This factor is usually what surfaces when only one of the three motor / trans mounts is replaced.

The Escalade’s phat footprint, truck based HD components, AWD and some huge rim / tire combos don’t leave any room for being overtaxed when there’s a weak / worn component in the chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts