Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
07 CTS(Sold) 07 Escalade(Sold) 17 Buick Envision, 17 ZL1 Camaro, 18 XT5 Premium/Lux
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Escalade had started using freon, this began last year with the addition of a can. This year I am close to 3 cans. After poking around with a freon detector I found the culprit to be an A/C Refrigerant Pressure located on the compressor line down right next to the compressor.

The freon is leaking out of the internal connector pins so there's no fixing it other then replacing it. Here's my question, Will the Freon need to be removed from the system to replace this switch or is it one of those that seal itself on removal? :confused:

According to the service manual there is no warning or mention of freon removal before replacement but maybe its an assumption the system would be empty before replacing it.

Anybody know for sure?
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade
1,243 Posts
I seen freon at autozone that seals as well. You can try might work

·
Registered
07 CTS(Sold) 07 Escalade(Sold) 17 Buick Envision, 17 ZL1 Camaro, 18 XT5 Premium/Lux
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I seen freon at autozone that seals as well. You can try might work

Thanks for the suggestion but I do not wish to use "Sealers" in the system unless absolutely necessary (such as a bad evaporator). Sealers are something that should only be used as a last resort and can cause reduced performance and cooling on R134 systems.
I am hoping I will be able to remove the switch without having to remove the existing freon.

Hopefully someone on the forum can answer the question in the original post.

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
Good job on the decision not to use sealant, under the sensor is a Schrader valve so you'll be fine

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good job on the decision not to use sealant, under the sensor is a Schrader valve so you'll be fine
Thank you for the answer, :) I know in my old Tahoe this was the case (it was mounted on the accumulator/dryer) but I wasn't sure because this switch is located on a pressure line next to the compressor.

It will be somewhat of a pain to get to and I am hoping it is not seized to the line. :suspense: Got a new one and will tackle the job this weekend.
Best Regards,
Dan

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
Some systems have schrader valves and some don't, I'm not positive about this vehicles system. When filling by guages there are variables depending on ambient temperature, the proper air flow across the condenser and so forth and so on but it will get you close to the charge you need to have. The only true way to know you have the proper amount i the systemn is to pull a deep vacuum and fill it by weight/ounces.

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
2007-CTS said:
Thank you for the answer, :) I know in my old Tahoe this was the case (it was mounted on the accumulator/dryer) but I wasn't sure because this switch is located on a pressure line next to the compressor. It will be somewhat of a pain to get to and I am hoping it is not seized to the line. :suspense: Got a new one and will tackle the job this weekend. Best Regards, Dan
my apologies Dan, i assumed this one was on the accumulator as well till i looked, at this point i am unsure if there is a scrader valve, i have to investigate

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some systems have schrader valves and some don't, I'm not positive about this vehicles system....
The service manual is very vague and assuming but does not mention evacuating the system to replace the switch.

I called my local Cadillac dealer and asked them but they never got back to me (not surprising). I would like to be able to replace this switch without having to remove the freon but if there is no schrader under the switch that won't be possible.

As far as accurate freon measurement I am not to concerned about that. If my high/low pressures are correct (water spray on the condenser and using 134 temperature /pressure chart) and my inside air is cold I am good to go.

Hopefully I can get the answer about the switch otherwise I will have to remove the freon. :suspense:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
Received the "Genuine GM" replacement part today and noticed it had a depression pin that looks as though it depresses a schrader valve that would be in the line. So, looks like I can just replace it like the ones on the older GM vehicles where they installed this in the accumulator/Dryer. :)

Interesting thing, Genuine GM has "Made in China" molded in the side (just like the original). Probably why it failed in the first place. :drool:

Brings up and interesting point. One of the reasons I didn't buy a new Escalade was because of the many parts that are now made in China for the 2015. Even though mine is only an 07 looks like GM managed to sneek some China junk into it as well.... :suspense:

Sad ! 60k is not high mileage for any vehicle, this part really should not have failed this early in life. :tisk:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts