Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
07 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My friend has an 07 CTS Black 6Cyl and we like to sometimes rev it up, noticed the rev limiter stops it at 4000 but after 20 seconds of keeping it down the engine cuts out back to idle and then the gas pedal is useless until ya completely let off it and go again.

First car I've ever seen do that! :(

Why does it do that especially since ya can bounce off the rev limiter in park all day long and not hurt a thing.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,879 Posts
They all have a rev limiter to 4,000 while in park/neutral. As for the after 20 second thing, I have no idea. I never had it go that long.

But in all, it's to protect both the engine and transmission for those people who likes to dump it into gear.

KOT

·
Registered
07 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh we don't dump it in gear while its at 4000 but yeah after 20 seconds it cuts off and goes back to idle.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Id bet a few Neutral-drops from 4000rpm would destroy the trans pretty quick...

Its my understanding that the rev limiter is there so you dont rev the engine up to red line for extended periods, causing wear. Also, Id bet the 20 sec fallback is there to stop the buildup of heat in the trans, torque converter.

Think about this. When youre revving that engine hard for 20 secs, its making power...where is that power going?

Make sure the engine is warmed up when you do this...

Offhand, most performance cars with auto's have this safeguard.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
LOL There's a like button?

Either way, you shouldn't be holding the gas in at 4k rpms for 20 seconds. What are you trying to accomplish? LOL

·
Registered
07 CTS 3.6L Wheel Performance
180 Posts
My SS/NA auto had a similar feature in park, it would redline at 4k or so. It also let you hold the brake in drive and rev to 3k to launch, but that's different. I haven't seen a stick with a limit below the redline in neutal, but they disengage that clutchy thing that I miss so much.

I was a bit confused when the CTS just torched the tires when I tried to hold the brake and launch in drive. I'm sure as hell not going to rev in neutral and dump it though, I've seen a few people do it to various cars and I cringe every time.

LOL There's a like button?

Either way, you shouldn't be holding the gas in at 4k rpms for 20 seconds. What are you trying to accomplish? LOL
Amen to that, it's a good thing it doesn't go higher if someone's holding it there. I watched a car go up in smoke bouncing off of and holding at the redline to show off his intake. Face met palm and everyone was holding their sides laughing. Save for the owner, of course.

·
Registered
07 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why not it only goes to 4000 on the rev limiter and its awesome watching tue owner ( a hot woman ) rev that cts engine usually in some black peeps high heels

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
You are making power, and all that energy is ending up in the trans, instead of at the rear wheels. There will be heat buildup. Its just not a good idea to do this... 4000rpm in N in an auto is most likely worse for the trans then hitting 6500rpm in D. You dont want heat buildup in an auto trans...or any trans...

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I was a bit confused when the CTS just torched the tires when I tried to hold the brake and launch in drive. I'm sure as hell not going to rev in neutral and dump it though, I've seen a few people do it to various cars and I cringe every time.
JFYI, Ive found then fastest launch in the CTS to be without any brake-torquing (thats the term Im familiar with for this scenario). Shift to 1st gear, release brake, then mash. Obviously you wanna shift a little before redline...you hit redline, the CTS loses power...

I have performed a few N-drops in my day, but both times were on cars with the trans going out... I never destroyed the trans in either case, but after 4 or 5 N-drops, the trans shifted much worse then it allready was... The damage was significant...tho it was on a trans that was allready going...

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
JFYI, Ive found then fastest launch in the CTS to be without any brake-torquing (thats the term Im familiar with for this scenario). Shift to 1st gear, release brake, then mash. Obviously you wanna shift a little before redline...you hit redline, the CTS loses power...

I have performed a few N-drops in my day, but both times were on cars with the trans going out... I never destroyed the trans in either case, but after 4 or 5 N-drops, the trans shifted much worse then it allready was... The damage was significant...tho it was on a trans that was allready going...
i would love to pick up a beater, and just do neutral drops until the trans explodes :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts