Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else have a problem with the oil on these engines I change oil and put to specs and after a trip and maybe sometimes playing with car and about a month and half passed since oil change I'm low about half a quart almost a quart. Why is this happening .The car isn't smoking or anything wrong with it .

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
See attached. Make sure the oil filter is not weeping from being under tightened. GM has acknowledged that some LS2s tend to use more oil than LS6s. GM considers a quart per 2,000 miles as "normal." Unless you see smoke from the exhaust on hard acceleration or deceleration and/or oil on the driveway, I would top it off and leave it be. Oil is relatively inexpensive and adding some from time to time keeps the additive package fresh.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Yep ^^^^^

Internal combustion engines consume oil - some more than others - most in the middle of the curve. That's why you open the hood at least once a week and check fluids, belts, and "stuff".

·
Registered
04 CTS-V LS6
104 Posts
I'm sure your local Walmart has a shelf full of products that claim to reduce oil consumption. You could always try one of those of it bothers you.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,975 Posts
A year or so ago, we had a big conversation on here about this very subject. LS2 guys were seeing it quite a bit, and LS6 guys don't. And, as darkman points out, adding oil is cheap. But, as we all know, it's just a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
237 Posts
A year or so ago, we had a big conversation on here about this very subject. LS2 guys were seeing it quite a bit, and LS6 guys don't. And, as darkman points out, adding oil is cheap. But, as we all know, it's just a pain in the butt.
its not that cheap....at least amsoil isn't...Luckily mine does not consume much oil.

·
Registered
2007 Thunder Gray CTS-V
42 Posts
Depends on how you drive it. There is one place everyone forgets about and that is the PCV system. Pull your throttle body and see if your intake is filmed with oil. If it is, and your engine runs strong, you probably have a little bit of oil bypassing the PCV orifice (which is under the valley cover). I don't know about cleaning the under valley cover PCV, but, you may end up replacing the cover, about $100 or so.

The Cats will keep you from seeing smoke, except at startup. If you see a puff of smoke at startup, then you may need new valve seals. The LS valve seals are very good, so unless you overheated the engine, they are likely OK. A lot of folks suspect rings or valve seals, but my bet is PCV.

If it is PCV-related, you shouldn't ignore it, the oil can mess up your cats. If PCV, a catch-can may help.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,975 Posts
its not that cheap....at least amsoil isn't...Luckily mine does not consume much oil.
Depends on how you drive it. There is one place everyone forgets about and that is the PCV system. Pull your throttle body and see if your intake is filmed with oil. If it is, and your engine runs strong, you probably have a little bit of oil bypassing the PCV orifice (which is under the valley cover). I don't know about cleaning the under valley cover PCV, but, you may end up replacing the cover, about $100 or so.

The Cats will keep you from seeing smoke, except at startup. If you see a puff of smoke at startup, then you may need new valve seals. The LS valve seals are very good, so unless you overheated the engine, they are likely OK. A lot of folks suspect rings or valve seals, but my bet is PCV.

If it is PCV-related, you shouldn't ignore it, the oil can mess up your cats. If PCV, a catch-can may help.
IIRC, one theory that was proposed in that thread from last year was that tolerances between (especially) the cylinders and the rings were made slightly looser in an attempt to gain fuel economy advantage for the LS2, and this may have caused oil consumption to climb a bit. Not sure about this theory, myself, because I'm not sure the LS2 gets stellar mileage at all.

In any case, GM's standard response is something along the lines of it being within acceptable limits. I certainly wouldn't like it to be adding a quart every 2k miles (+/-) regardless of the cost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts