Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GMT 830, 2007 GMT 926
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yinz guys, shortly after buying my ESV last year the brakes began to grind. I discovered two failed driver's side calipers and prematurely rusting brake lines. :mad:

----------

Both caliper pistons became stuck and caused the inside pad to wear faster.

Front:

Rear:

Because the truck is 15 years old and the horror stories of GM brake failure I've read online, I decided to replace all brake lines and upgrade to '07 brakes.

----------

Here are pics before replacement for reference.
All nuts and bolts were soaked with penetrating PB blaster prior to removal.

Pass. side:

Front pass. line along the core support:

Both rear lines above the rear diff:

Rear brake hoses to the diff:
IMO, the only two brake lines GM got right from the factory are the two shown along the rear axle to the rear caliper hoses.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,454 Posts
Front brakes from a NNBS truck is an upgrade, rear brakes however, are not. (Unless Cadillac is different from Tahoe) 2007+ GM rear brakes are smaller I believe.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the ABS module located underneath on the driver's side just behind the driver's door.

After some research I found this thread about upgrading brakes:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/544137-those-who-want-better-brakes.html

So, I bought powder coated calipers, slotted rotors, and ceramic pads. 2007 rotors are 1" larger in diameter.

Power Stop S4918 Performance Caliper - Front Pair
Power Stop S5030 Performance Caliper - Rear Pair

Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines (w/Stabilitrack) 14196

http://www.drilledrotors.com/cadilla...r-slotted_only
Product ID: FR117391
2 Front Slotted Only Zinc Plated Rotors
- 2 Rear Slotted Only Zinc Plated Rotors
- 1 Front Premium Ceramic Pad Set
- 1 Rear Premium Ceramic Pad Set
- Front and Rear Pad Wear Sensors (if applicable)

(x4) Motul 847205 RBF 660 Factory Line Dot-4 100 Percent Synthetic Racing Brake Fluid

----------

Front brakes from a NNBS truck is an upgrade, rear brakes however, are not. (Unless Cadillac is different from Tahoe) 2007 GM rear brakes are smaller I believe.
You're correct. Also, stock '03 rear calipers are dual piston and the '07 are single piston. Unfortunately, I discovered this detail too late and went ahead with the '07 rear calipers and rotors.
What does "NNBS" stand for?

----------

Here's the (x9) piece ACDelco hydraulic brake pipe kit # 22932592
The lines are nylon coated and appear to have copper inside. They're certainly better than original and much cheaper than stainless.

Removal of the driver's fender liner and fuel tank are needed to access all the lines. I performed this procedure in my driveway and with hand tools.

Make sure your jack(s) and stands are rated for the vehicles weight.

You'll need philips and flathead screwdrivers to remove the fender liner.
This metal clip is about where the bumper meets the fender:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before fuel tank removal, relieve fuel system psi by removing the gas cap.
Next, remove the filler neck and breather hose along with the evap hoses.

Watch this helpful youtube video:
"How To Install Remove Fuel Gas Tank 2000-06 Suburban Yukon XL Escalade ESV"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK6xYSp3NTM

Access to the fuel lines for removal was achieved by jacking the rear of the truck one notch higher than the frontstands. The supply line was rusted onto the sending unit and had to be broken for removal.
Both lines were replaced with Dorman fuel line kit # 800-888

With the fuel tank partially removed you can see the rear brake lines that originate at the ABS module and run along the frame just below the body:

After removal, front:

Rear:

Removal of the spare is necessary to access the upper bracket and midlines.
If you look closely you can see I labeled the lines so I could match them to their replacement.

Here, at the driver's side rear wheel well you can access a PITA retaining clip and the rear brake lines by simply pulling aside the trim:

And from the underside:

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Wow, great write up!!

NBS - new body style, 99-06
NNBS - new new body style 07-14
I don't know why, these are just the assigned monikers. Googling those names will return many search results.

Great choice in products!! I'm sure you'll be quite happy.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
Great write up indeed. Your suspension components sure look like the person before you drove it in salt water and left it there for while. Lol. Did you bleed the brakes? How was that done? The only issue I have with power stop is one I heard on the caliper where the brake hose bolts in it feels flimsy. Little scary for me. And two the slotted rotors, wouldn't that grab more brake dust and you would be needing to do brakes just as often but more money now. Might do GM calipers instead. How's the braking power now? My front brakes looked like that, one good and one to bare metal. Might be doing the upgrade because when I hit the brakes now my truck wants to dance all over the road. Could be the 22s with meaty tires. Does your spare fit on the truck? I think the new rotors don't allow 16s

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
godsdiablo said:
Great write up indeed. Your suspension components sure look like the person before you drove it in salt water and left it there for while. Lol. Did you bleed the brakes? How was that done? The only issue I have with power stop is one I heard on the caliper where the brake hose bolts in it feels flimsy. Little scary for me. And two the slotted rotors, wouldn't that grab more brake dust and you would be needing to do brakes just as often but more money now. Might do GM calipers instead. How's the braking power now? My front brakes looked like that, one good and one to bare metal. Might be doing the upgrade because when I hit the brakes now my truck wants to dance all over the road. Could be the 22s with meaty tires. Does your spare fit on the truck? I think the new rotors don't allow 16s
I have slotted and drilled rotors and don't the brakes dust problem but the stopping power has improved

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
You are correct Mr. Diablo, NNBS brakes require at least 17" rims.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bled the brakes using a Motive Power Bleeder 101.
http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-101-System-Bleeder/dp/B00CJ5DWKO/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1435184428&sr=1-1&keywords=Motive+Products+101+Brake+System+Power+Bleeder

This video shows how easy it's done by one person:

"Brake bleeding with a Motive power bleeder pump step by step"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miv3jjN95ok

It's my understanding the Powerstop calipers are OEM remans. The slotted rotors help cool the brakes and do not increase wear. Mr.Holland is correct, a 17" wheel is needed to clear the '07 brakes. I'm buying a 5th 17" wheel for a spare. AAA is also good insurance.

This video about brake line routing was also very helpful:
"2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 1500 brake line routing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUAnYxwq3ps

Our escalade is slightly different so I made sure to take pics and notes:

The replacement lines aren't labeled so I matched each line one by one.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV, White Diamond Pearl
342 Posts
Great write up and pictures! I wish I had this to go by before I did mine. Strange how the new "OEM" lines are so different and better, isn't it?

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Skier-24 said:
Great write up and pictures! I wish I had this to go by before I did mine. Strange how the new "OEM" lines are so different and better, isn't it?
It's been because of the issues some was having with the factory ones rusting and rupturing when under pressure
Gm changed suppliers

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's exactly why I posted.
Citibank is a bank that happens to make cars.

----------

A few more tips and pics...

Unplugging the ABS module and removing the fuel filter helps removal and installing brake lines:

Magnetic lights are helpful for dark spots:

Removal and installation of the upper bracket for the midlines was THE hardest part of the job:

Here's the view facing forward:

Here are the OEM fuel lines. The supply line is larger in diameter than the return:

----------

The right front brake line was by far the hardest of all the lines to remove and install.

Another PITA is a brake line retaining clip located beside the ABS module where the frame meets the body. Here you can see the handle of a flathead screwdriver and the angle of attack:

Here's a pic of the spaghetti that lays behind the driver's fender liner:

Onto the final pics...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All lubed up and ready to torque:

Stainless brake line routing with zip ties and 5/16 hose for protection:

Right rear:

----------

A nice sight after a big job. And a new fuel filter to boot:

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a pm.:2thumbs:

·
Registered
2003 escalade
108 Posts
Nice job documenting as you went. I would certainly think the stopping power is greatly reduced. You have both larger diameter front rotors with pads that have more surface (friction) area plus replaced the rubber brake hoses with SS braided ones to reduce spongyness. Great example of "Do it once and do it Right". And I will also note you have a very clean ESV to boot !

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
Front brakes from a NNBS truck is an upgrade, rear brakes however, are not. (Unless Cadillac is different from Tahoe) 2007+ GM rear brakes are smaller I believe.
That's what I thought as well when I was upgrading my 05. When I traded it in on the 07 I removed the new rear rotors and calipers from the 05, hoping to transfer them to the 07. The first week with my 07 I went to swap them over and found that the rears are about 1/2" larger than the 05 rotors. So at least on the 07 Escalade, they are larger than the 05 I had previously.

----------

Very nice write-up. If I hadn't traded my 05 in I would have done the same. These trucks sure look horrible underneath don't they? My 07 is pretty bad underneath as well having in lived its life in VA (local truck).

I bought a case of rust neutralizer a couple months ago. I'm going to be slowly cleaning up the bottom of the truck and painting it as I go. That rubberized coating they put underneath them just doesn't hold up. It's a real shame, my older GM vehicles look a lot better than the 05 and 07 Escalades.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,027 Posts
Mr. B said:
Here's the (x9) piece ACDelco hydraulic brake pipe kit # 22932592
The lines are nylon coated and appear to have copper inside. They're certainly better than original and much cheaper than stainless.

The replacement lines are probably Nicopp, which (as the name implies) is a nickel copper alloy that is becoming more commonly used by the OEMs. (There's another trade name different from Nicopp, but I can't remember it at the moment. Basically the same stuff, though.) It's very easy to work with and will not corrode, period. I recently used some to redo the hard lines on the axle housing of my Fox Mustang.

----------

With that said, I thought part of the point of Nicopp (and its fantastic corrosion resistance) was that it didn't need to be coated, so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Escalade
98 Posts
How long did it take you to do the brake lines? A day? 2 days? I'm planning to replace all my brake lines on my 2002 AWD 6.0L before winter but, I need a general idea on time since the wife and kids need to use the car because of school.
Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hey drewmaximus,
I took my time completing the entire job. I estimate the brake line removal and installation was two days and approx. 10-12 hrs. To save time I suggest NOT removing the midline body bracket.

Also, here's a great "brake line replacement procedure bulletin" from GM:

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/Brake-Pipe-Kits-Available-ACDelco-TechConnect.pdf

Good luck!

How long did it take you to do the brake lines? A day? 2 days? I'm planning to replace all my brake lines on my 2002 AWD 6.0L before winter but, I need a general idea on time since the wife and kids need to use the car because of school.
Thanks!
----------

Hi AAIIIC, I agree. I believe the OE L+R rear diff. brake lines are of the same quality. Stainless steel lines do not make sense from a cost perspective.

The replacement lines are probably Nicopp, which (as the name implies) is a nickel copper alloy that is becoming more commonly used by the OEMs. (There's another trade name different from Nicopp, but I can't remember it at the moment. Basically the same stuff, though.) It's very easy to work with and will not corrode, period. I recently used some to redo the hard lines on the axle housing of my Fox Mustang.

----------

With that said, I thought part of the point of Nicopp (and its fantastic corrosion resistance) was that it didn't need to be coated, so I could be wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts