Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I hope some of you guys can help me with this question/problem. I just picked up my 06 V a couple of days ago and love it. The problem is my car did not come equipped with the satellite radio. I live in Canada and satellite radio was only approved recently. Until this year, no cars came with the satellite radio. This was one of my reasons for waiting for an '06. GM said this fall that certain '06 cars will come with XM, including the CTS's. The problem is that I ordered the car in July, at the time that satellite radio was not a standard feature on the car. From July to now, at some point the MSRP went up by approx. 300 dollars to cover the cost of the satellite radio and XM became a standard feature. So, they built me an '06 but specifically left the satellite radio out because as they claim 'I did not order it'. My argument is is that it is standard on all '06's in Canada...except for my car. At no point in time did they offer me the option to add the radio...I would have gladly paid for it. My question to you guys is, is it difficult to add the radio at this point without going aftermarket? Also, is the radio antenna part of the onstar antenna or will they have to wire another antenna. I'm not sure if the car is satellite ready wired. I was told by my dealership that it is very difficult as the nav system is a sealed unit and to add the radio they have to rip out the whole dash. I called GM and they are supposed to get back to me on my options...I would appreciate any advice or help.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
well, you do have to take apart the center stack to change the headunit. but lots of us have had that done, no big deal. the XM tuner hides under the back deck, so you have to take the rear seat out to access that....but i've done that like 5 times on mine :p
then you need to run the antenna wire thru the headliner/roof.
the question is....do you want your brand new car being half-disassembled by a dealer?? And at what cost? Just get an ipod and read the ipod interface thread :)

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
radiosandmore.com offer a XM solution that is almost identical to the stock XM radio.. It is a plug and play solution that will integrate the XM with your stock radio and have the same funcitonality as stock.

One downside, you will have to have your delaer enable the XM band with the tech II and they MAY charge for this.

check it out.

Reed

·
Registered
4 Posts
You might consider buying a portable satellite radio and just set it into the area below the arm rest. Personally I think Sirius has better programming anyway.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the advice guys...this really sucks. Since all the Canadian 2006 V's are factory ready for xm, I am wondering if I can use this argument to replace my brand new car, with only 50mi on it, with one having the radio. I know it may seem silly to go through all the trouble, but I feel I got ripped off. I probably will have the only Canadian 2006 without xm...that must be great for resale.

·
Registered
173 Posts
matia said:
thanks for the advice guys...this really sucks. Since all the Canadian 2006 V's are factory ready for xm, I am wondering if I can use this argument to replace my brand new car, with only 50mi on it, with one having the radio. I know it may seem silly to go through all the trouble, but I feel I got ripped off. I probably will have the only Canadian 2006 without xm...that must be great for resale.
I would get onto Caddy about that right now. The longer you wait, the less likely it will happen. I didn't order any "standard" features on my car either. They should make it right in my opinion. Just don't accept no as an answer. Every time you get a no answer ask to speak to his boss etc. Elevate it high enough and I believe you will get the car replaced. They advertised XM as standard on an 06, and in fact all other 06's have it. You have an 06 without the advertised standard equipment, seems like a no brainer to me. I bet any competent lawyer would have a field day with this one if they don't fix it.

·
Registered
former 2005 CTS-V owner
404 Posts
Brucemiles said:
You might consider buying a portable satellite radio and just set it into the area below the arm rest. Personally I think Sirius has better programming anyway.
I am not impressed with XM's programs either, especially after having SIRIUS for so long. I wish I had a choice. :mad:

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
I installed the $300 RadiosandMore kit in my CTS with the DVD Nav. It works exactly like factory, and I didn't need my Radio programmed. It worked right away. On some Navs the option is turned off and 2 minutes with a Tech 2 is required to activate that option. Actually, your dealer can install this for you, if you don't feel comfortable.

Also, the how-to instructions are on Reeds site. It's a simple install.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/xminstall/index.html

I don't know if the V roof antenna already has the XM antenna integrated, but if not, you'll have to add the included Terk antenna (mine is on the trunk) which definitely detracts from the looks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts