Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have an 04 v, uses mobil 1, but wonder if new v uses extended protection mobil1? can go 15k between oil changes sounds good to me. thanxx

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
15K???? Holy jiminy...spend 50K on a car but wont spend 50 bux on an oil change every 3K miles. Let your V live a longer life.

F

·
Registered
270 Posts
They should use Mobile 1 full synthetic.
While yes, at 10k miles, synthetic is still better than new dyno oil...in a 400 HP environment it would be a good thing to do what the CPU tells you!

·
Registered
CTS-V 2010
219 Posts
While the oil may not break down on the extended mileage stuff it still will have funny things floting around in it. Thats not for my "V".

·
Registered
591 Posts
Clean cubes are happy cubes!!! :yup: Change the oil and filter every 3 to 4 thousand miles. Stick your finger in it and smell that old oil next time you change it and you will know it needs changing! :eek:

V

·
0 Posts
The LS2 in my GTO saw over 15 trackdays this past year. Oil life monitor expired at 9K the first time and 10K the second time. Too long for my taste. The oil life computer was reset only when it expires but change Mobil 1 every 5K miles. 75w Royal Purple in the diff. every 10K. The oil monitor does not display like the V.

Norm

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Max, does your rear whine with the purple?

And I always thought 10k was a little long for oil, but 5k to me is just right.

Although I will say Mercedes and Audi all say 10k for their oil service and BMW says 15k.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Florian said:
15K???? Holy jiminy...spend 50K on a car but wont spend 50 bux on an oil change every 3K miles. Let your V live a longer life.

F
No reason to change your oil until GMOLS tells you to, period. I have proof.

-Ben

·
Registered
403 Posts
i put 5000 miles a year on a car and normally change once a year. No problems but what do you all think with the V.?? I've always had lower performance engines however.

D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
a64pilot said:
Ben, I agree with you for a stock engine, I would like to see the "proof" just for curiosity sake
As I had mentioned on this topic before... after 8k then next 10k miles my GMOLS was @ 0% for at least a week, did an oil change (after the 8k then after 10k) on my CTS-V and as usual sent in a sample for analysis, result oil was good enough to be put back in for another few thousand miles.

Oil has measurable properties, when it breaks down or becomes dirty time to change it, until then no reason to pour your $ down the drain on any car regardless of cost of the car.

-Ben

V

·
0 Posts
Kadonny, it did a little after about 300 miles. After the whine in the V I was pretty sensitive to the noise most would never hear. Switched to the second heavist RP gear oil and was almost completely silent. There is just a hint of whine at 21K miles that passengers cannot hear unless I point it out to them under the right conditions. I answered "it is just a characteristic of the car" when pass. ask about the noise from the diff.

I think the heavier weight dampens the slack or chatter from the gears. It might effect MPG but it is not noticeably. What is neat is it has it's own friction modifier included. :)

Norm

·
Registered
173 Posts
new2here said:
what is 'GMOLS'?
General Motors Oil Life System. Google it, it's a pretty slick system. About the only thing it dosen't know is time and dust or other oil contaminants as it does not have any sensors that monitor the oil.

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
the GMOLS is fine and dandy...Ill spend my 50 bux every 3K miles and be done with it. There is no better peace of mind for me, and thats what counts.

F

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Check the older service manuals of the Europeans and compare it to the current intervals of 10K, you'd see it was less.

Here's why:
They do your oil changes for free!!! If Cadillac ever included oil-changes in a free-maintenance schedule, they'd raise the limit too to save some cash.

There's no reason to be stingy with oil and wait 10K or 15K on oil changes, heck, your intake pulls enough oil-vapor from the crankcase to warrant an added quart every 2-3K miles! 5K is fine with today's synthetics, IMHO.

I only run Royal Purple in my machines, change every 5k in cars...2K in bikes. Its good insurance for the motor, keeps the crap out of the engine, and gives me time away from the wife....I think I may do a change tomorrow!
-ace

1 - 20 of 21 Posts