Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
06 STS V
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the valve cover gaskets and timing actuators replaced and still have oil leaking on the exhaust manifold.
I added florescent dye and you can see oil on the back of the heads at the bottom. I think from the valve covers, my mechanic thinks it might be excessive crankcase or oil pressure not his installation of the gaskets. He does good work, I also doubt he would F them up but shit happens.
I check my oil pressure when driving but never really monitored it, always looked ok. After I did the last oil change I noticed my oil pressure when cold is 90-120 lbs. and when at normal operating temperature its about 30-35 lbs. at idle and around 40 lbs. @ 2K rpm, goes up to about 60 lbs. when accelerating. I’m running Castrol Edge 5-30 synthetic with the Delco PF26 filter.
Anyone know what the max oil pressure should be?
Obviously you can’t see shit on this motor so not really sure where the oil is coming from. It does not drip or smoke, just smells like a dirty engine when it gets warmed up.
Any suggestions where I go from here would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 STS-V, 2008 STS AWD
329 Posts
Is there a PCV system on these cars? If there is, the hoses can dry out and leak oil.

·
Registered
STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED
680 Posts
I had the valve cover gaskets and timing actuators replaced and still have oil leaking on the exhaust manifold.
I added florescent dye and you can see oil on the back of the heads at the bottom. I think from the valve covers, my mechanic thinks it might be excessive crankcase or oil pressure not his installation of the gaskets. He does good work, I also doubt he would F them up but shit happens.
I check my oil pressure when driving but never really monitored it, always looked ok. After I did the last oil change I noticed my oil pressure when cold is 90-120 lbs. and when at normal operating temperature its about 30-35 lbs. at idle and around 40 lbs. @ 2K rpm, goes up to about 60 lbs. when accelerating. I’m running Castrol Edge 5-30 synthetic with the Delco PF26 filter.
Anyone know what the max oil pressure should be?
Obviously you can’t see shit on this motor so not really sure where the oil is coming from. It does not drip or smoke, just smells like a dirty engine when it gets warmed up.
Any suggestions where I go from here would be much appreciated.
I can't assist with your issue but my question to you is, why did you change your valve cover gaskets and timing actuators? Were they causing you any problems?

·
Registered
06 STS V
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The valve covers and timing actuators were seeping when I bought the car. I was aware of it and this was a planned repair. My guy thinks it's a pressure issue making the valve covers leak again. Going to see him tomorrow and find out whats next.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
657 Posts
That cold oil pressure does seem too high but I’ve never heard of a failing oil pump (increasing) the flow.

·
Registered
06 STS V
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear that, maybe something clogged or something. Its actually 116 lbs when I start it but drops 1 tick at a time fairly quickly to 90 and then drops as it get warm. Definitely need to check the gauge for accuarcy. Got to say this is bumming me out, sure hope it ends up being a just a bad oil sensor for the gauge and shitty gasket install, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
06 STS V
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a PCV system on these cars? If there is, the hoses can dry out and leak oil.
There sure is, pretty elaborate (of coarse). Going to go thru the testing procedures Monday. It would be great if I just need new hoses but guessing that's wishful thinking.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
Did they use GM gaskets or aftermarket? Usually the oil like to leak between the gasket and the camshaft covers rather than between the gasket and the cylinder head. Use GM gaskets only. I clean the groove out in the camshaft cover very well and put a VERY thin line of RTV in the groove (as in not even enough to ooze out and be seen once the gasket is pushed in) and haven't had one come back. There is also a gasket behind the camshaft actuator housing that leaks as well that was hopefully replaced during this repair.

·
Registered
06 STS V
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a nightmare, my "Guy" F'd up everything they touched!. So much for going to a "Performance car builder"! Gaskets leaking, didn't align the actuators with the oil control valves, cut my wiring harness. Geezz. At least he stepped up and refunded all of my money except spark plugs, and a elect plug.
I have an appointment with a GM shop Tuesday.
When I was going thru the book for the actuator install I saw the gasket on the back of the actuator housing. that was not changed, definitely going to check that out. The car is full of dye, I'm not driving it and I just ordered a killer black light so hopefully all the leaks will show up Tuesday.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
It isn't easy to find someone who wants to work on these engines and will do it right and those that do aren't cheap.

·
Registered
06 STS V
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It isn't easy to find someone who wants to work on these engines and will do it right and those that do aren't cheap.
Especialy after someone already messed it up. Who doesent love getting into a failed repair! If I ever needed a reason for Xanax! Its getting to me.

·
Registered
06 STS V
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Up Date: Right camshaft cover leaking at the back, camshaft actuators magnets not aligned with oil position valves. oil pressure up to 120lbs. when cold and warmed up 30- 65.
Took it to a GM shop, he did not charge me for the diagnosis, has never worked on a 4.4 LC3 and does not want to. YeeHaa!
Any Caddy Mechanics out there? Can you tell me if the actuators can be aligned now thru the actuator solenoid plug with out removing? Could this be the reason for the high oil pressure?

·
Registered
06 STS V
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Up Date: Right camshaft cover leaking at the back, camshaft actuators magnets not aligned with oil position valves. oil pressure up to 120lbs. when cold and warmed up 30- 65.
Took it to a GM shop, he did not charge me for the diagnosis, has never worked on a 4.4 LC3 and does not want to. YeeHaa!
Any Caddy Mechanics out there? Can you tell me if the actuators can be aligned now thru the actuator solenoid plug with out removing? Could this be the reason for the high oil pressure?

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
No, they are sealed to the housing with RTV so once the RTV sets they cannot be moved. I don't think the aligning is really that big of a deal, honestly. When I did my first set, I used the drill bit size it specified and the actuators could still be slid around to the limits of the bolt holes so I just centered them as best I could and had no problems on any that I've done that way. The plugs are also difficult to get out even on a new actuator and I broke two of them.

·
Registered
06 STS V
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info, The actuators were leaking at the electrical plugs, they were full of oil so he replaced the actuators without removing the solenoid plugs.
As I understand it. the faster the rpm the magnet draws out the oil control valve letting more oil flow?
I found a few shops to check into so hopefully one of them has seen one of these.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
It's adjusting oil flow through the actuators to adjust the camshaft timing. Even if they were completely blocked off or free flowing I don't believe that would change the overall oil pressure. You're oil pressure sensor has probably just gone wrong. I wouldn't worry much about high oil pressure unless it has been verified with an actual mechanical gauge. Just get the leaks fixed and enjoy the car.

·
Registered
06 STS V
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the explanation, I will get the oil pressure gauge checked when I get the leak fixed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts