Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SRX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy from Texas. We bought my wife an '06 SRX AWD V6. It has right at 50,000 miles now. It had a slight noise coming from the front of the engine. I checked things out and the idler pulley on the passenger side was bouncing around pretty good. I replaced the pulley and then replaced the complete idler pulley assembly. It seemed to help (a little) but still have the noise. Any guesses on what to check next? The alternator is quiet and spins smooth and when I spun the water pump ulley it felt smooth. Oil level is good. Thanks for any help you can give. Besides this one issue we love this SRX.
Frank

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
You said "RIGHT AT 50,000"...if it is UNDER 50,000, take it to the Cadillac dealer and let them fix it.

·
Registered
2005 SRX rwd V6
113 Posts
I have a cheap electronic stethascope that I picked up from auto zone. It is an unbelievable tool for situation like this. You will not regret the purchase. If it is a bearing that is going out, you will know it without a doubt. Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 SRX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a follow up - I pulled both belts off and ran the SRX and still had the noise. I called a good buddy at a shop and asked his opinion. He said use the GM oil filter with Mobil 1 synthetic. I changed the oil and filter and low and behold the noise dropped dramatically.... I had read of posts on here about the oil filter but needed a little prodding.

·
Registered
Cadillac
92 Posts
My 2004 v6 (102k) was very noisy on cold start up then died down by 80% once warm.
The dealer installed the redesigned timing chain and sprockets (differnet pitch) which lowered all noises by 95%
I had the work done at 98,000 miles, just before my GM extended wattanty ran out

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6 AWD
23 Posts
frank,

How hard was it to change the idler pulley & assembly and what did you pay?

I'm having the same issue, its bouncing around like crazy and rattles like mad. It's almost embarrassing to stop at stop lights!

I've wrenched on cars before but never the caddy. Any advice would be great! Thanks! I was looking at it today and was wondering where I'd put tension at on the acc. belt to remove and re-install the ass. + pulley.

·
Registered
2006 SRX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
frank,

How hard was it to change the idler pulley & assembly and what did you pay?

I'm having the same issue, its bouncing around like crazy and rattles like mad. It's almost embarrassing to stop at stop lights!

I've wrenched on cars before but never the caddy. Any advice would be great! Thanks! I was looking at it today and was wondering where I'd put tension at on the acc. belt to remove and re-install the ass. + pulley.

It was really easy actually. You can get just the pulley for around $15 at Autozone or similar. If you go for the full idler pulley it cost around $89 at the same places. There is a square hole on the front of the idler pulley so you can put in a socket wrench. Then move the assy to pull the belt loose. There is 1 bolt in the middle and the assy comes off. I am thinking the new design timing chain will be needed for the noise now. It is simple so let me know how it goes.
Frank

·
Registered
2005 srx
2 Posts
Hi, im a gm tech at a cadillac dealership, i hear these noises everyday from the srx, my wife drives one and had the same thing. I replaced both pulleys hoping not to tear into the engine, but that wasnt the problem. The timing chains and guides sound like your problem, i done them on mine last week and the noise is gone, pretty big job. Theres also a service bulletin out for the harmonic balancer making noise. If yours is still under warranty, let the dealership fix it.. hope this helps

·
Registered
2006 SRX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, im a gm tech at a cadillac dealership, i hear these noises everyday from the srx, my wife drives one and had the same thing. I replaced both pulleys hoping not to tear into the engine, but that wasnt the problem. The timing chains and guides sound like your problem, i done them on mine last week and the noise is gone, pretty big job. Theres also a service bulletin out for the harmonic balancer making noise. If yours is still under warranty, let the dealership fix it.. hope this helps
No warranty left. I do have a good shop I trust. I am going to find out the cost from there. Other than the noise the car has been great! Thanks for the info.
Frank

·
Registered
2006 SRX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update for those interested. I did my research and took my SRX up to the local caddy dealer. I explained what was going on, what I knew it to be and they called me back in less than an hour. It is the timing chain. No more driving, come get a loaner. So I asked what is the cost since the car is out of warranty. Nada. It is covered and so is the loaner. Now we are waiting for the re-designed timing chain parts to come in. The loaner is a '09 CTS in the Lava color. Sweet little ride with every available option on it. We have had it just over a week and will have it for at least 1 more. I must say that the dealer we are working with is awesome and I have only heard good things about them from everyone I talk to. The only issue I have now is that my wife wants to trade the SRX in on the CTS....

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6 AWD
23 Posts
WOW! that's great news! thanks for updating us all!

What exactly did you tell them and is this a recall item??

Mine has 87km miles and I would love to get it fixed for free :D

·
Registered
05 Cadillac srx
19 Posts
Where can I get more info on this? I have a 2005 V6 awd that is also noisy. Wondering if it is recalled as well?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2006 SRX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agent11 and Caper10,
They never stated it was a recall. I called before hand, spoke to the service manager, told him that I knew Cadillac did a re-design on the timing chain and that after checking several things on my SRX to rule out other things that I knew it had to be the timing chain. I found the timing chain info here on the Cadillac forum. I belieev it was under CTS. I pick the car up Tuesday so I will post the results. Of course, the bigger problem I have now is getting my wife away from the Lava colored 2009 CTS loaner car. She wants that car....

·
Registered
2006 SRX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up my SRX today. The engine is so much quieter. I was curious as to how much it was going to cost me even though I was told everything was covered. I did have them do the Texas yearly inspection and my grand total was $39.75 That was for the inspection. I must say that Crest Cadillac in Plano treated me GREAT! I have heard nothing but good things and they proved it to me. Now all I have to worry about is my wife pushing for the 09 CTS loaner we had. LOL.

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6 AWD
23 Posts
WOW! Amazing Frank!

I'm supposed to go into my dealer this week, he's been very helpful via email so far so my fingers are crossed!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts