Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SRX V6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hmm:We just bought our first ever Caddy- an 06 SRX V6, AWD, pearl finish and sun roof plus other neat features. (Not NAV or DVD) beautiful and we're so happy! :cloud9:
I've been reading all over your forum and I have questions-
We live in the country on a fairly rough gravel road ,with 4 cattle guards (texas gates) and a RR track to go over every time we go out, has anyone else been in this situation ? How did your SRX stand up?
(the 96 Tahoe V8 is still great)

And I researched the SRX for a year and it seems to be as good as any other and better than most in deep snow. Anyone have experience to pass along?

Do you recommend an extended warrantee on this vehicle? Seems an obvious answer but we were quoted almost $4000 for 4 years, rolling over to another 4 IF NO CLAIM in the first 4. Not a GMPP. We keep our vehicles for a long time.
I will check online for GMPP prices as suggested and understand that is the best plan. But would we be better off to take our chances and pay whatever? But all the computer systems seem to be a big risk also. We have until mid October left on the factory warrantee.

And what is a CPO car?
many thanks....:yup:

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
CPO = Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned bought from a Cadillac dealer with a 6 yr / 100K (from new) bumper-to-bumper warranty. Since you already bought your SRX, it's too late to buy a CPO warranty. GMPP from an online source like Black's or Fichtner is probably your best bet.

Read other threads about front end noises and proceed with caution.

·
Registered
2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours
514 Posts
Welcome to the SRX Owner's Club !!

Unfortuately, most modern vehicles are so complex that self-repairs are not the norm; and many less-than-the-most-complex seem to cost ~ $2,000 US

Our previous Oldsmobile went 50,000 without a hitch; then a cruise control repair at 62,000 (was ~ $1,800 + rental); next a trans repair at 65,000 (was ~$2,000, on road so had a rental ~$1,000 both on GMPP); then A/C valve repair at 76,000 (~ $1,000 on GMPP) so the then $1,500 84 mo/ 84,000 mi GMPP was a very good deal for us ($0.00 charge to us).
No other repairs except brakes & tires when trade in at 114,000 mi.

We bought GMPP for our SRX (~$3,000 for 84mo/84,000 mi) when taking delivery and have not used it yet (53 mo gone), so who can recommend yes or no.

Good luck with whatever you decide !!

·
Registered
2006 SRX V6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both, I have looked at GMPP and asked for a quote online from local dealers. Where we live would cause an ordinary car to lose nuts and bolts all over the road so I'm pleased to see that GM covers normal wear and tear. We've just been so lucky to never have any problems on our GM vehicles until they're over 10 years old, even under our living conditions.
Would like to hear from anyone else in similar circumstances with an SRX.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I have not read this thread completely. Fitchner Chevy in Montana and Black Chevy Cadillac in Ebensburg, Pa sell the GMPP at about 40% off retail. And your local dealer might match those prices.

Third party extended warranty notes to self:

1. Read the contract. Three or four times.
2. Check BBB.
3. Ask any friendly service mgr to read it for/with you. Buy him lunch.
4. What specifically does warranty cover?
5. What does it exclude?
6. Does it require actual breakage, or will it pay for worn rings, noisy rear end, etc?
Many warrs cover ONLY BREAKAGE.
7. If the repair costs exceed the value of the vehicle, how much will Alpha pay?
Many pay only up to the wholesale value of vehicle.
8. If the problematic item has a TSB, will the warr pay for it? Some will not pay
anything if there was ever a TSB on item. Cars typically have thousands of TSBs
on each model.
9. Does the warr provide new parts or used parts? If the used item fails, will warr
pay for labor on the next go around? The warrs will likely refer you back to junk
yard or shop that installed the item, hoping they have a warranty.
10. Repeat item. Have you asked your service mgr to read the contract with you?
Best advice you can ask for. He/she is the guy/gal who knows what is and what
is not a great contract.
11. What have you found on an internet search?
12. What is the best book rating on this company?
13. Are you aware that third party warrs go bankrupt at the rate of about 12 per
year? More now than ever.
14. If you ask for a refund, where does the company send the refund? To you or to
the dealer? What if the dealer goes out of business or goes bankrupt? How do you
get your $$ back?
15. What other questions do you have about or for the warr co?
16. Does warr pay entire labor cost, or just a portion?

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
... Where we live would cause an ordinary car to lose nuts and bolts all over the road so I'm pleased to see that GM covers normal wear and tear...
Be sure you check current contracts. My salesman said that CPO warranty coverage recently changed to EXCLUDE wear and tear items on current and future sales.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
We had an extended warranty on our '04 V8 for the last year and ~16k kms of its lease. Absolutely no warranty work in that period - a waste of $CDN 1600.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,766 Posts
I would get one. It is hit or miss, but so is all kinds of insurance.

2001 SLS CPO: Worth it, saved probably 3-4K in repairs.
2001 Tahoe GMPP: Probably lost a little (ie. repairs were less than cost of policy)
1999 Chrysler LHS Extended warrantee from Chrysler: Probably saved four or five hundred thousand dollars with the warrantee. Hit the lottery on that one. Don't get me started....

·
Registered
09 silverado CC,SRX (N*), 07 Silverado crew 4X4, 2000 Impala
86 Posts
I have found in the past that I was damned if i did and damned if I didn't. If you are buying from your dealer, deal on the price. I recently bought my 05 srx with GMPP 2 year 40000km coverage and paid $2600 for the select coverage. (Please now laughing). Dealer in southern Ontario, we thought it was a good idea at that time but I may have second thoughts today. Ask me in a year.

·
Registered
2006 SRX V6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for your advice and some very good points I hadn't thought of.
I got a quote from my GMPP search- CAnadian $

To purchase this warranty from the winning Authorized GM Dealership click on ONE of the following links:

I would like to purchase the 48 Month and/or 100000 KM GMPP Total 'Plus' Warranty for $ 1249

OR

I would like to purchase the 60 Month and/or 120000 KM GMPP Total 'Plus' Warranty for $ 2247

And there is a link to a dealership profile that I will check out. The only thing is I live in BC and the dealer is in Ontario- half way across the country- is that important?
I think a multi year warr is more beneficial than a short term one.eg; 1 or 2 or even 3 years.
And what is TSB?
Thanks!

·
Registered
09 silverado CC,SRX (N*), 07 Silverado crew 4X4, 2000 Impala
86 Posts
Thanks so much for your advice and some very good points I hadn't thought of.
I got a quote from my GMPP search- CAnadian $

To purchase this warranty from the winning Authorized GM Dealership click on ONE of the following links:

I would like to purchase the 48 Month and/or 100000 KM GMPP Total 'Plus' Warranty for $ 1249

OR

I would like to purchase the 60 Month and/or 120000 KM GMPP Total 'Plus' Warranty for $ 2247

And there is a link to a dealership profile that I will check out. The only thing is I live in BC and the dealer is in Ontario- half way across the country- is that important?
I think a multi year warr is more beneficial than a short term one.eg; 1 or 2 or even 3 years.
And what is TSB?
Thanks!
Thanks for posting this. I wish I would have seen this prior to getting mine through the selling dealer I my have saved a few hundred bucks!:eek: Others who inquire on warranties will benefit. Your vehicle needs to still be under it's new vehicle warranty as I tried and was denied as I'm no longer covered.
So just so I have it right, Option one extends you by a year and option two extends you by 2 years?

·
Registered
2006 SRX V6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:hmm:
I received this from Canadian gmwarranty site:
"The minimum GMPP program offered is 100,000km for a 48 month term which is what you were quoted. Depending on the "in service" date of your automobile you may want more kms (120,000 I the next level for 48 months)."
I read on the US Gm site last night that you need to follow the "2+2 rule" which is that you must have a minimum of 2 months +2miles left on your gm warranty in order to get an extension. I am not sure if this applies to the original gm warrantee or the extended one or both.

I downloaded the actual agreement and it states:
"(MG) MAJOR GUARD coverage starts on the date and at the mileage you purchase this Agreement and ends on 99/99/9999 or at 999,999 miles, whichever occurs first. "

Our SRX is 2006 and already has 56000 km on it and hit the road in mid October so I guess we have til mid August to settle this. I think we'll go for the a longer time period-6 years- and extend the kms as we expect to keep the car until it's at least 10 years old. THAT"S when things really start to happen! And all the electronics are very worrisome.

I also asked about a licensed repair facility that is NOT a GM dealer and they has this to say-
"As for using the GMPP at another mechanic, it IS possible, however you need to give notice to GM before hand and get authorization. In most cases GM prefers that if possible you use an authorized GM dealership for service to ensure the use of authentic GM parts - but this is a warranty to protect you."

it's slowly getting clearer....:thepan:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts