Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
06 DTS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 06 DTS and was wondering if anyone has had a timing chain problem? how long would it take to get it repaired from a dealer? my vehicle only has 40,000 miles. lots of dealers are saying its uncommon for the dts to have this problem and i was wondering if im getting scammed.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Consumer Reports has 1.4 million Deville/DTS Cadillac responses. According to them, a timing belt/chain is an "Engine Minor" problem and the 2006 DTS is far better than average in this regard.
It appears that less than 2% of all the 2006s have had an Engine, Minor problem.

What do they consider an Engine,Minor problem?
Engine, minor. Oil leaks, timing belt, accessory belts, engine mounts, engine knock or ping.

Of course they are not paying for your repair. The Bill will likely not be minor........

I know of no way to tell about the specific Timing Chain problem but suspect that it is VERY uncommon.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I don't know about timing chains on N* engines, but it's not uncommon on the 3.6 engine.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
I own an 06 DTS and was wondering if anyone has had a timing chain problem? how long would it take to get it repaired from a dealer? my vehicle only has 40,000 miles. lots of dealers are saying its uncommon for the dts to have this problem and i was wondering if im getting scammed.

I have been on this Cadillac board for over 3 years and another one for three and a half years.

My memory ain't what it used to be, but I don't remember "EVER" hearing of a timing chain problem with the NorthStar.

At least you are under warranty...if not...GET A SECOND OPINION.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I don't know about timing chains on N* engines, but it's not uncommon on the 3.6 engine.
Specifically on some of the 2005 and 2006 CTSs 3.6--per a local Caddy service mgr.

Service writers whom I know indicated that they have not seen any in San Antonio--3.6 with timing chain problems. I know these guys real well, too. I have no reason to suspect they might be covering up.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
I think Deeman is right. I think the 06 came with a 4 year 50,000 mile powertrain warranty which means that it would be impossible for this car to be out of warranty........ Good catch!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts