Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all
I own a 06 performance dts. This car was my brothers car, a treat to himself after a battle with cancer. After his passing in 09, it became ours. Im a past gm dealer tech but left the business in 90. This car has been driving me crazy for a couple of years, and i thought i would come here and try my luck. Car has a ton of sentimental value to us and i dont want to give up on it. I have a long time buddy of mine from my dealer days who is a master tech at our local caddy dealer. I stopped bothering him after many hours spent with no results. It has the following issues, dies at low speeds or idle, acts like retarded timing with low power and long harsh shifts, service stabilitrak light, traction control light, check engine light at times. Ive done the following, cleaned main ground under seat, added additional ground under hood body to powertrain, cleaned throttle body, replaced evap solenoid, all maintenance items are new or in good condition, plugs, coil packs,etc. Once in a while, it will miss, but just one bump. Nothing steady. I have poked, prodded, till im blue in the face. Check engine codes are, in my opinion, sympathy codes from the issue as they are many, and never the same. Have driven it with snapshot button with no useful results. Sorry for this long winded story. I want to keep this car, but its trying my patience. Any ideas??
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,256 Posts
ideas? yes, post the codes and definitions here. what exactly are "sympathy" codes? Since you are at the end of your patience, what have you got to lose by doing that one simple thing?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,295 Posts
Welcome Aboard !!!

No such thing as a "sympathy code". Yes, some codes come and go as a function of operating conditions, vehicle condition, and the fact that the system clears its own codes under correct time/circumstance.

C codes are Current - the fault exists NOW.
H codes are History - a fault was detected some time in the past but it does not currently exist.

ALL codes are meaningful as they are pointers for .............. diagnosis.

Dies at low speeds or at idle. Sounds like IAC or CKP problems. A bad CKP will lock timing at a preset 10 degrees BTDC - sort of a limp home feature. The 4T80E transmission has no vacuum modulator so the shift troubles are elsewhere in the system. TC problems can come from any of over a dozen chassis/wheel/sensor/suspension problems.

Use this link to decipher and post any found codes. Your post-1995 OBD-II codes read out as a letter, four digits, a letter. Study the link -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts