Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have searched through the forums and stickys and have checked for leaks. History is it has 177,000 miles, daily driver, I bought at 120,000, previous maint is unknown. Noticed that for a few months it would only produce heat through the heater at rpms over about 2000. Last week my wife was driving it and the temp gauge got close to red and the message popped up "low coolant, shut off engine" or similar, which she did. I checked the crossover tube that goes to the expansion resivor and there was no flow. I ran wire through the exit port in case it was plugged and added about a quart of coolant. It was fine for about 300 miles and then yesterday the needle was rising above where it normally was, I let it cool down, checked it out and no flow through the cross over......added about another qt, and it flowed through the crossover again and runs fine/no overheating,etc. I did the block test yest for 5-10 mins and the solution never changed from blue. The only other thing I noticed is it seems like there is more water/condensation dripping from the tailpipes.
Thanks in advance!

----------

I recall reading that you cant do the test right after adding coolant so I drove it for about 10 miles to circulate the coolant through the system before testing it.

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
You have leak either at the water pump housing at the back of it or at the water pump it self the housing has 4 gasket and at that mileage they may gone bad. The water pump leak alot of time too. There is one it doesn't happen often it that the heating coil connection there is a platic connector that rob against the trasmision cable that brake.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.....I think I will rent the tool to do a pressure test and make sure its not more than one spot. I put cardboard underneath and let it idle for 30 mins with occasional revving to 3000 rpms and could get a drop to show up.

·
Registered
2006 DTS LUX III, 2006 DTS w/sunroof & navigation (scrapped), 1997 ETC (Sold)
209 Posts
I smelled a mite of hot coolant when I bought mine last year. Smell went away after a few days of operation. Car had been sitting on a lot for several months so I figured that the water pump had healed for the time being but that I needed to keep a close eye on it. I made it to Feb with hardly any coolant loss, a slight top off at every service was the extent of it. Then in Feb I noticed the low level about 5,000 miles after a service and it took about a quart to fill it. Then noticed a coolant smell after my 63 mile commute when exiting the car. Put another quart or better in the next weekend so figured that it was time. No puddles or visible leaks, only the slight whiff of hot coolant after shutdown.

The water pump hangs above the exhaust manifold and a hot engine block so the leaking coolant just burns off. I tried to see up in the water pump pulley area using a mirror but still really didn't see much. Decided that I had pushed my luck just about far enough and tore it down.

Water pump was shot, notice the trail and clean area under the pulley...

The water manifold gaskets had about had it as well from what I saw....

You can't see this side of the water pump when it is on the car...

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville
315 Posts
I smelled a mite of hot coolant when I bought mine last year. Smell went away after a few days of operation. Car had been sitting on a lot for several months so I figured that the water pump had healed for the time being but that I needed to keep a close eye on it. I made it to Feb with hardly any coolant loss, a slight top off at every service was the extent of it. Then in Feb I noticed the low level about 5,000 miles after a service and it took about a quart to fill it. Then noticed a coolant smell after my 63 mile commute when exiting the car. Put another quart or better in the next weekend so figured that it was time. No puddles or visible leaks, only the slight whiff of hot coolant after shutdown.

The water pump hangs above the exhaust manifold and a hot engine block so the leaking coolant just burns off. I tried to see up in the water pump pulley area using a mirror but still really didn't see much. Decided that I had pushed my luck just about far enough and tore it down.

Water pump was shot, notice the trail and clean area under the pulley...

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/5362michaelmwilson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150321_163504390_zpsdezmk1ch.jpg.html

The water manifold gaskets had about had it as well from what I saw....

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/5362michaelmwilson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150321_163733971_zpsmnywykps.jpg.html

You can't see this side of the water pump when it is on the car...

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/5362michaelmwilson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150321_163551346_zpsb2s2eghy.jpg.html
How many miles on your DTS?

·
Registered
209 Posts
93,000 at time of purchase. 123,800 when I tore it down and replaced the water pump.

Mike.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great pics and explanation, does the entire manifold need to come off to replace the water pump? Likely not a bad idea anyway?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, the water manifold has to removed for water pump replacement. Not so much fun.

Mike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts